Using Points for II Deposit

Toxicesq

Earning My Ears
This issue was touched upon by someone in another, unrelated posting and I didn't want it to get lost there, so I'm asking here:

If you have DVC points that are going to expire, can you use them to reserve a week at one of the DVC resorts and then deposit that week into II to be used for a an exchange you request at a later time? I'm an II member, so I could then make the exchange in the usual II manner, instead of going through MS.

Disneyland: '56,'91,'98
Disneyland Paris: '94
Disney Magic: '00
WDW Off-Site: '76,'98
Contemporary: '88,'90
Caribbean Beach: '93
Grand Floridian: '95
Dixie Landings: '97
BWV: 11/00

No, When MS make the exchnage with II for your DVC points, they must book a week and location. If you do not go that week you will lose your points. You will not be treated as a II owner and be able to bank that week into thier system.

jane.gif

Disney Vacation Club Board Co-Moderator
DVC and Cruise Chat Hostess
Cruise Board List Mistress

<font size=4 color=blue font face="Comic Sans MS">Robin

I happened to be reading the DVC documentation last weekend and noticed that there are two ways to do an exchange through DVC. 1) Do a search, get a match then make the exchange or 2) deposit a week first then look for a match in the II system. I don't remember all the details but it does seem possible.

Also, I was talking with MS this morning about a possible exchange; if I agree to an exchange then need to cancel it, the week stays with II and I would need to find something else in the II system within a certain period of time. I think MS said they would handle this, not II. This sounds a lot like the exchange option 2 above.

I assume someone more expert than me will probably give the correct answer. :D

Dixie Landings '94, '96
Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club '98
Off site (never again) '99
BWV '00
HHI '01

Heidi

I think you can do what you suggest, but it will still have to be handled thru MS. Your plan will still be dependant on finding a week on short notice (I think that's what you're suggesting), but that week could even be at HH or VB. Once MS has banked the week with II, you have 2 years to use the exchange- so that would certainly help extend the usable time for points which otherwise might expire. Sounds like a good possibility!

Doc
doc@wdwinfo.com

To be absolutely clear, II will hardly even talk to you about DVC and they most certainly won't set up an exchange for you using a DVC week. II will not even register DVC under your current II membership.

You can deposit points that you would otherwise lose and it's a great way to extend the life of the points. What MS will actually do is schedule a week and then deposit the week. In general, you should deposit time more than 2 months before the week which makes it difficult or impossible to schedule anything on very short notice. The week must actually be available with all of the home resort, banking and borrowing rules taken into account.

What you should deposit depends on what's available with the limitations noted above. You should also take into account what you might want to exchange to. If your exchange is likely to only require Adventure season, HH is the cheapest deposit. If Dream or Magic will be required, OKW is the best option for a week to deposit. I'd recommend asking MS what type of deposit is required for a few of your expected exchange options.

Dean

I went through all this with an Interval International rep at Member Services. Meaning a member services cast member who deals strictly with II exchanges. Here's the scoop.

If you have points, even banked points, that are about to expire you can deposit them with II through member services. You don't have to request an exchange at this time. You can just leave the points there. You have two more years from the date that you deposited them with II to use them. You can call back months later and say OK now I would like to request an exchange using my already deposited points. The only restriction is that you must complete (arrive and depart) your exchanged accomadations by 2 years from dpositing your points. Also keep in mind that once you deposit points into II, you can never get them back because MS uses those points to make a reservation for someone else exchangeing from the II system. Hope this helps.

Dumbo

Dumbo, a correction and one further explanation. You don't actually deposit your points, MS takes your points, reserves a week and deposits that week. The other and more important is that you actually have 2 years from the start date of the week deposited, not 2 years from when you deposit. Generally this assumes that the unit you deposit is more than 2 months out at the time of deposit.

Dean

Dean,

I disagree. How can MS know how many points to take from you when you are not requesting an exchange? Differant resorts require a differant number of points. Studios, 1 bedrooms, and 2 bedrooms require differant numbers of points.

I was told by MS that I could deposit points, request an exchange at a later date, then add more points to the deposit as the exchange required.

Dumbo

Sorry Dumbo, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that this sytem is fair and reasonable. These issues are the limitation of the Deposit first as it applies to DVC. You make a deposit then later make a request and they may tell you that your deposit doesn't qualify for that exchange request. DVC actually deposits a week and goes ahead and uses the points. You just take your chances if it's the right deposit for what you want to trade for. This type of deposit is likely to be less points for the same exchange but there are risks involved. That means that you may have a deposit that doesn't qualify for a certain exchange request that you want. This type of transaction requires a much more informed member to make it work correctly. You just have to make sure what you deposit will cover all unit sizes and seasons that you want.

I pressed the exchange people pretty hard on getting info on deposit first. I wanted to know if things like which week or which resort would affect the trade power. I wanted to know if I could ask for a larger unit or better season than my deposit. I wanted to know if I could deposit a unit that I had originally reserved for myself. I asked why BWV 2 BR exchanges for 8 when OKW exchanges only for 6. I asked if I could request resorts not on the exchange list. I asked about buying Getaways and getting bonus weeks. In general, the DVC reps that deal with II exchanges are very ignorant of the rest of the timeshare world and I had to ask things several times and in several ways to get answers I was fairly comfortable with, even talking to a supervisor. The answers I got were no increased trade power except by DVC season, no Getaways, no bonus weeks, only resorts on the DVC list, can only ask for a unit the same size or smaller than deposited. They had no clue about why BWV exchanged for 8 and OKW for 6, I don't think they ever really understood. I also asked II about DVC, even had an II rep tell me I could list DVC and do direct exchanges. I thought he was out to lunch and when all was said and done, I was right.

If you deposit a studio Adventure time, you can only search for a unit that sleeps 2 that will qualify for adventure time. That's right, technically, the DVC studios only trade for 2 except WLV for some reason which is listed as a 2/4 unit. OKW probably should be a 2/4 unit because of the 2 queen beds, the pull outs don't usually qualify unless they're in a separate room. They will also confirm you using the criteria of how many people are traveling. If you deposit a 2 BR and tell them only 4 are traveling, you can (within II-DVC rules) be confirmed to a 1 BR. Caveat's are to always tell them the Maximum number of people that will fit in the unit being exchanged (2/4/6) and have them list that the full kitchen is required. Another caveat is that if you say I want Friday 21 Sept, II will assume you will accept any checkin day between Thursday and Sunday. Be sure to check the specific info carefully when they call for an exchange to make sure it's truly what you want.

I suspect, but don't know for sure, that an exchange request against a deposit first will be confirmed without calling. This is II's usualy way of operating, to confirm the first thing that exactly matches the criteria you've given them. Under the normal DVC request first rules, they will call first and ask if you want a certain exchange. If you say no, they will take that resort off your list. Once upon a time, they actually took the entire immediate area off your exchange list but this has changed some several years ago.

One note is that ongoing searches (not instant and the Flexchange (less than 60 days)) are the only instances where you may get a unit larger than being given up. Say you ask for a studio in Aruba for summer, you may actually get a 1 BR if it's an ongoing exchange.

For those that have points they can't use, this can be a great way to extend the life of the points but it is not without drawbacks as noted above. Unless you're very familiar with the system, know exactly what you want and do your homework ahead of time, the request first may be better for most DVC members.

Dean

Thanks everyone for all the input. Whew, Dean, I thought I was going out on a limb with my one little question, but you really covered all of the angles with MS.

Basically, it sounds like the DVC trade can be accomplished much like depositing any other floating time (e.g. Marriott) week, where an actual week is reserved and then deposited. I do question why, if, theoretically, all II members can trade into DVC, we should be limited only to those timeshares on the DVC list (although that's just a thought, not a complaint, they seem to be the highest rated, most popular ones, anyway).

As far as the size of the unit goes, DVC works the same as other timeshares. If you deposit a 2 BR you can exchange for up to a 2 BR. If you only deposit a 1 BR, that's the largest you get in exchange.(With certain exceptions as Dean noted.) I would also think, given the relative unavailability of DVC units that are deposited with II, that a DVC deposit would have a lot of trading power. :rolleyes:

Disneyland: '56,'91,'98
Disneyland Paris: '94
Disney Magic: '00
WDW Off-Site: '76,'98
Contemporary: '88,'90
Caribbean Beach: '93
Grand Floridian: '95
Dixie Landings: '97
BWV: 11/00

The MS answer on the limited number of resorts available is that they want the best resorts as much as possible while still covering the areas that people want to exchange into. They do exclude resorts based on negative reviews and tend to add the top new resorts.

It's true, you can only ask for the same size unit as you deposit (but might be offered larger). Also, the part about being excluded from certain exchanges based on trading power (DVC season) is really the way II works anyway, it's just in this situation you know for sure that's the case and there are no games played.

Good luck to all.

Dean

Sorry for the confusion of my post but I had remembered something from the Vacation Magic last fall. It read...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Starting September 1, 2000, Disney Vacation Club Members may not request substitute exchange accomodations through Interval International (II) when they cancel or lose the use of confirmed II host accomodations... [/quote]

Here is the part I didn't remember

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...as a result of the host accomadations being damaged or destroyed or where such damage or destruction is immenent [/quote]

jane.gif

Disney Vacation Club Board Co-Moderator
DVC and Cruise Chat Hostess
Cruise Board List Mistress

<font size=4 color=blue font face="Comic Sans MS">Robin

That's right Robin, if something happens to your exchange destination and it's not II's fault, you are on your own. RCI works the same way. Many times they will offer some help but they have no legal obligation to do so.

Dean

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter