Using Euros in Ireland and Pounds in Belfast?

TGiggles

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are going on the British Isles cruise in September 2019 and we have never been outside of the USA. I need some guidance on how much Euros I would need in Ireland. Belfast, Scotland and Liverpool uses pounds so wondering how much should we carry on each port. We are carrying credit cards but just need to know how much we would need at each ports.

tankin

Mouseketeer
@TGiggles Here's my thing... 1. Tell your bank your're going to the UK and Ireland. 2. I'd get enough pounds so you can make it from the plane to your hotel. After that, restock from ATMs. It will be much cheaper. 3. Your choice for Dublin... You might get a small amount of Euro so you're covered from the ship to an ATM...

Naeher

Earning My Ears
What type of thing will you need cash for? Souvenirs? Meals? Travel? If you can give some more info I’m sure people can give you a more accurate answer.
Belfast - yes, you’ll use pounds, however most larger stores will happily accept Euro too.

• TGiggles

Earning My Ears
    My husband and I are going on the British Isles cruise in September 2019 and we have never been outside of the USA. I need some guidance on how much Euros I would need in Ireland. Belfast, Scotland and Liverpool uses pounds so wondering how much should we carry on each port. We are carrying credit cards but just need to know how much we would need at each ports.
    I need to understand what places in Ireland wouldn't accept credit cards. Do I just need enough for drinks and snacks? Also small vendors do they only accept cash and not credit cards. I just want to make sure if I need to pay cash I have enough.

lady9

DIS Veteran
    As a side note, check to make sure the credit card you are using does not charge a transaction fee to convert euros/pounds to dollars. Also, most European countries require a pin with all credit cards, not just debit cards so make sure you have one.

freshmanjs

DIS Veteran
    As a side note, check to make sure the credit card you are using does not charge a transaction fee to convert euros/pounds to dollars. Also, most European countries require a pin with all credit cards, not just debit cards so make sure you have one.
    you can use credit cards without pin throughout europe if you have an American card. They will just have you sign the slip. No pin needed.

lady9

DIS Veteran
    you can use credit cards without pin throughout europe if you have an American card. They will just have you sign the slip. No pin needed.
    Thanks! My daughter was just in France and used her pin because that's what was needed in Russia in 2017. We didn't want her to have any issues.

• tankin

Mouseketeer
    @TGiggles I have found that Irish and UK merchants are much more e-cash savvy than US merchants. Taxis are just about the only thing I can think of the last time I was in Dublin where I used cash and that was to avoid a CC fee.

BadPinkTink

DIS Veteran
    Taxis and city buses are cash only, Dublin city buses - blue and yellow are coins only, no notes and exact amount, they dont give change. Market stalls and street venders are cash only. Most other places, restaurants, bars, shops, tourist attractions and venues will accept cards.

Anywhere which prints and automatic receipt, the machine will recognise an American card and print a receipt for you to sign. For self service kiosks in grocery stores, train ticket machines, etc you will need a chip and pin card.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Daily Updates and News

Book your Disney Cruise through Dreams Unlimited Travel and receive a Shipboard Credit and an Exclusive Gift Basket!

CASTAWAY CAY PHOTOS

DECK PLANS

STATEROOMS

ITINERARIES