Using Disney Gift Cards onboard

Texas_Buckeye

Earning My Ears
I’m sure that this has been discussed before, and I attempted to search. However, I must be using the wrong verbiage in my search. Question…if my grandsons have Disney Gift cards, do the Gift Cards need to be added to my onboard account or can they use said cards to make gift shop purchases themselves. We working on teaching them about budgeting and having their own “money” will help. I know, we could keep track of spending, if money is on a main account.

do the Gift Cards need to be added to my onboard account or can they use said cards to make gift shop purchases themselves
I have seen multiple reports of children using the gift cards in the shops. We don't do it that way because I want to get the Disney Visa discount...but it should work.

They can use gift cards in the gift shops, but I don't believe gift cards can be used anywhere else onboard or at CC. The smoothies, concession stands, etc. all only charge to your stateroom.

They can use gift cards in the gift shops, but I don't believe gift cards can be used anywhere else onboard or at CC. The smoothies, concession stands, etc. all only charge to your stateroom.
That is correct. Most people go to Guest Services and add them as a credit to their accounts, but you can use them in the gift shops as was said.

Thank you, everyone, for the response and wonderful information! This is exactly what I’m looking for. Kids are going to Disney World, next month, so their gift cards will have different balances. Plus, before the cruise they will be receiving additional cards. Just wanted to be sure that they could spend them on their own and not depend on mommy, daddy, or grandma to put gift shop purchases on their own account!

Can minors' key cards be authorized to make charges?

LAX
Children can make charges to the room account, but you cannot set limits on how much. Either charging is allowed or not allowed. You can turn it off mid-cruise if you find the need.

Children can make charges to the room account, but you cannot set limits on how much. Either charging is allowed or not allowed. You can turn it off mid-cruise if you find the need.
Thanks. It's interesting that one cannot set a limit and I am sure it's intentional.

LAX

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter