Using credit from unused, expired tickets

pdp

Earning My Ears
We have some California resident tickets that expire at the end of this month (September). Our August trip got cancelled and we may not be able use the tickets before the end of September. I understand if that happens, we can still use the credit from the tickets toward a future ticket purchase.

However, I was also told that I MUST go to a ticket booth at Disneyland in order to use the credit. If that's the case, I'm kind of in a chicken and egg situation. With the reservation system, I would need to reserve and purchase the tickets in advance. But, since I live in Nor Cal, I can't easily go down to the ticket booth and purchase and reserve tickets in advance. So it seems my only option is to plan a trip with hotel reservations and all, but I'd have to buy tickets at the booth and hope I can get park reservations for the day of, and 2 days after since we want to do a 3 day trip. I suppose this could be a problem for anyone who wishes to buy tickets at the ticket booth on the day of.

Am i understanding my situation correctly or am I missing something?

You're understanding the situation correctly.
Make sure to take pictures of your ticket numbers and have them handy when you go to the ticket booth.

You're understanding the situation correctly.
Make sure to take pictures of your ticket numbers and have them handy when you go to the ticket booth.
Thanks for confirming. Are there any other options at all to use the credit from unused tickets in advance? I’d hate to plan our trip, book the hotel room, and the get to the ticket booth the day of and find out reservations are full for that day, plus possibly waiting in line to buy the tickets. What would be the chances of reservations all booked in mid October, weekdays?

Thanks for confirming. Are there any other options at all to use the credit from unused tickets in advance? I’d hate to plan our trip, book the hotel room, and the get to the ticket booth the day of and find out reservations are full for that day, plus possibly waiting in line to buy the tickets. What would be the chances of reservations all booked in mid October, weekdays?

AFAIK, there are no options to be able to use the credit online.
There are separate reservation buckets for hotel (Disney hotel) guests too.

Yes I am in this same boat. Very frustrating. My daughter was contact traced at school so we had to cancel our trip this weekend. The only solution I’ve come up with is to buy all new tickets so we don’t fly down there and find the parks unavailable for park reservations. While I am there, I will use the credit to purchase future tickets since this can only be done in person. I am honestly in shock that Disney does not have a better way to handle this type of situation. It seems outrageous that there is no one but “the people in the ticket booths” that can help you to purchase future tickets. Disney only have money to gain in this situation so it makes no sense.

I'm in a similar situation for a trip in December over Christmas week, our tickets will be expired. I was, however, able to make reservations with my tickets. Have you tried that with your current tickets? Maybe when you get to the ticket booth the CM will be able to transfer the reservation to your new tickets. It's totally just a guess.

I have called a few times and was told we can only do the upgrade from expired tickets at the ticket booth which is frustrating since we live in AZ. They made suggestions like using these tickets for a future trip (I don't want to buy new tickets) and to upgrade to the Magic Key in the app (I don't want the Dream Key and I want to go over Christmas, which will be blocked with the Believe key) BUTthe last CM I spoke to, last Friday, told me I'd be fine for Christmas. Fingers crossed!

I have one saving grace as we are going to one Oogie Boogie Bash in October, just for one night. SO I plan on spending some time at the ticket booth and hopefully getting my Christmas trip all straightened out.

I'm in a similar situation for a trip in December over Christmas week, our tickets will be expired. I was, however, able to make reservations with my tickets. Have you tried that with your current tickets? Maybe when you get to the ticket booth the CM will be able to transfer the reservation to your new tickets. It's totally just a guess.

I have called a few times and was told we can only do the upgrade from expired tickets at the ticket booth which is frustrating since we live in AZ. They made suggestions like using these tickets for a future trip (I don't want to buy new tickets) and to upgrade to the Magic Key in the app (I don't want the Dream Key and I want to go over Christmas, which will be blocked with the Believe key) BUTthe last CM I spoke to, last Friday, told me I'd be fine for Christmas. Fingers crossed!

I have one saving grace as we are going to one Oogie Boogie Bash in October, just for one night. SO I plan on spending some time at the ticket booth and hopefully getting my Christmas trip all straightened out.
Let me know how this works out for you. We live in northern CA and can’t make our trip in October (tickets expire in Dec) and want to reschedule to Feb 2022. I won’t be in southern CA to visit the ticket booth. I seriously can’t believe there’s not another way to do this than physically making a trip to their ticket booths.

Yes I am in this same boat. Very frustrating. My daughter was contact traced at school so we had to cancel our trip this weekend. The only solution I’ve come up with is to buy all new tickets so we don’t fly down there and find the parks unavailable for park reservations. While I am there, I will use the credit to purchase future tickets since this can only be done in person. I am honestly in shock that Disney does not have a better way to handle this type of situation. It seems outrageous that there is no one but “the people in the ticket booths” that can help you to purchase future tickets. Disney only have money to gain in this situation so it makes no sense.
We might settle on this path as well: buy new tickets for when we go in October, and while we’re down there, use the credit form our current tickets at the booth for a future trip.

Since I have yet to read what people's results were, here is mine: I have third-party-purchased (they have a frog for mascot and the name means a hidden visiting person) non-refundable tickets that were original expiration date 1/12/21. I finally spoke with a DL's cast member and I have to appear in person with the tickets, ID, and original form of payment to a Ticket Sales window to be able to exchange my tickets to current ones. I live in Northern CA so just popping in to do this transaction isn't a viable option. (I was informed that had my tickets been issued through DL they could have even refunded my purchase.) So, in order to do all this, I have to purchase new tickets (we have a planned trip in March) to be able to make reservations and then in person exchange/pay the difference for a new future trip. *Facepalm*

OR>>>>> I loaded my tickets in the DL app then signed in on the DL website. Then, I went to make reservations in the website and all my loaded (expired) tickets appeared in my account. I was able to make reservations using my old tickets. Of course, I know that I need to appear at the Ticket Sales window before attempting to enter the park to upgrade my tickets so that they will allow us into the park, but hey! I got reservations!!

The trip in March is supposed to be a 4-day trip, my old tickets are 3-day tickets. Time to rethink to see if we are gonna have to shorten our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!