Using Copies of Photos in Scrapbook

SalandJeff

Disney Addict x 3
I am working on a scrapbook for my nephew. A lot of the photos I want to use belong to other people in our family, so I will need to make copies and return the originals.

It is so expensive to make a new photo print by copying a photo. Even doing it by scanning at home and printing is pretty expensive. Has anyone ever used color photocopies of pictures in their scrapbooks? Do they look like a regular photo or can you tell the difference? Also, where do you get acid/lignan free copy paper?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Just my thoughts on this...... :)

Why not ask the owners of the original photos to send you copies of the photos that you want? Scrapbooking takes so much time and energy ( and MONEY!!!) , you want them to last for a very long time by doing them right. Or have you thought about making him a digital scrapbook? I am guessing that would take alot of the expense out.

TTFN,
Kellie

I bet others would never do this, but I do. Yes, I use color copies from Kinko. I look at it this way, some people wouldn't have a scrapbook if I didn't make one, so I color copy even certain pages after I've scrapped. But I can put at least four pictures on a page. I use the photo paper, and myself, I like the look and feel of them.
Gerri

I've often used other people's photos in my scrapbooks, especially vintage family photos. The problem with taking them to a copy store is that unless the original is very good you'll just get a copy of a lousy photo. I have a Hewlett Packard all-in-one printer. It scans, copies and prints. It only cost me about $100. The quality of the scans and printing is very good. I scan the photo then use a software program to enhance the photos. Very easy, basic repairs can be made with the Printshop 20 program. I can adjust color, focus, brightness, contrast etc. I can get rid of red-eye, remove unwanted parts of the photo and do cropping. I can adjust the size of the photo to fit my needs, from 8 x 10 to postage stamp sizes. Copies or prints from a kiosk only come in standard sizes. I can print many photos per page. I even save partially used sheets and send them through the printer for single copies. There are more sophisticated programs available, but Printshop 20 is easy for beginners to use. It also has lots of clip art and fonts. I buy paper at Staples or Office Max when they have 2 for 1 specials. I buy ink when it's on sale and Staples offers $3.00 off on any purchase when you bring in an empty cartridge. I think I get a lot of versatility for the money I spend.

Kitty347 said:
I have a Hewlett Packard all-in-one printer. It scans, copies and prints. It only cost me about $100....I buy paper at Staples or Office Max when they have 2 for 1 specials....

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

Kitty 347 - which printer do you have. I have an HP all-in-one also, but it has decided to stop working so I may have to get a new one. I want a printer with a flatbed scanner/copier. The one I currently have requires you to feed the items to be scanned in like a fax. Difficult for small photos. The paper you buy at 2 for 1 pricing is photo paper?

I have a Hewlett Packard hp psc 1350. The paper I use is photo paper. I found I got the best results with Hewlett Packard Photo Paper. Maybe it's because it's used on a HP printer. There are different grades of paper. I use the premium grade soft gloss. It's suppose to produce photo quality equal to or better than store processed photos. I also use a different ink cartridge when I print photos. The standard cartridges are #56 (Black) and #57 (color). I take out the black cartridge and replace it with a #58 photo cartridge. They give you a plastic holder for the black cartridge so it won't dry out. You'll get a wider range of color with the photo ink and I believe it will also increase the durability of the photo's color over the years. When I go back to regular printing I just replace the black cartridge and put the photo cartridge in the plastic holder. When I print using Printshop 20, I adjust the printer settings to the right type of paper and use the best print quality possible. It probably uses more ink that way, but I think the results are worth it. By printing at home, if I make a mistake cropping, I can just print another copy.

I always print my photos on semi gloss paper because it has a nice feel to it and doesn't show fingerprints as glossy photos will. This is important when you're handling the photos while cropping, matting, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter