Uses for Light Corn Syrup?

mommytotwo

DIS Veteran
I had bought a big bottle of light corn syrup and I am not going to use the recipe that I was planning on, so need ideas of things that I can make.
Nothing to fancy, but things that are simple.
If you have recipes of things that you have made before that would be great.

Popcorn balls or caramel corn....

1/4 cup corn oil
1/2 cup popcorn
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pop popcorn in kettle. Combine other ingredients, stirring constantly over heat, until sugar is dissolved. Pour over popped corn and stir until coated. Form into balls using buttered hands (or add some nuts and leave loose as caramel corn).

I also posted a link to my rum ball recipe somewhere on this board a few days ago. The rum balls are YUUUUMMMMY.

bubbasmom99 said:
Popcorn balls or caramel corn....

1/4 cup corn oil
1/2 cup popcorn
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pop popcorn in kettle. Combine other ingredients, stirring constantly over heat, until sugar is dissolved. Pour over popped corn and stir until coated. Form into balls using buttered hands (or add some nuts and leave loose as caramel corn).

I also posted a link to my rum ball recipe somewhere on this board a few days ago. The rum balls are YUUUUMMMMY.

Forgot to add that I had gotten light corn syrup, would it still work with this recipe?
How long would these popcorn balls last for?

Go to allrecipes.com and do an ingredience search. I just did it and it pulled up 495 recipes.

Denise

I mix a cup of light corn syrup with ketchup and pour it over meatloaf the last 15 minutes of baking. It gives it a nice sweat topping.

Pecan pie is really quick and easy espcially if you buy your crust. It can use either light or dark corn syrup. I usually just make the one that is on the bottle and we like it a lot.

You can make peanut butter rice krispie treats with it!

It is the only syrup my son will eat on waffles or pancakes. When he was very small he called it white syrup.

My kids, the folks at work, the neighbors, and everyone who's ever tried these chewy treats LOVES them. And, they're so easy to do, even the kids can help.

Scotcharoos

1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. sugar
1 c. peanut butter
6 c. cereal (I use Rice Krispies)
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
12 oz. butterscotch chips

Put the corn syrup and the sugar in a pan and bring it to a boil. Remove from heat and add the peanut butter. Gently stir in the cereal. Use your buttered hands to spread/pat this mixture into a buttered jellyroll pan (or a cookie sheet or several plates). Pour the chocolate and butterscotch chips into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave until melted. I usually stop every minute and stir. It only takes about 2-3 minutes for the chips to melt. Spread chocolate on the Rice Krispies. Stand back and take a bow. It takes a couple of hours for the chocolate to firm back up, so allow time for that. Note: The original recipe called for 6 oz. of the chocolate chips and 6 oz. of the butterscotch, but we always use 12 oz. each, instead. You decide which is best. ;)

Hi!
I use corn syrup for sweetening homemade whipped cream--no disolving to be concerned with & it helps the peaks stay up longer--

Jean

Yes inky dinky doo that is the one i was speaking of --- we call Scotcharoos!!

bigsis1970 said:
Yes inky dinky doo that is the one i was speaking of --- we call Scotcharoos!!

Ooooo! :worship: I like your name for it better. Scotcharoos!! Look up. I edited my post. Do you mind? ;)

I use it when decorating cutout cookies. it makes great glue. just allow plenty of time to dry.

Oh no Not at all -- I got it off a rice krispie box years ago! they are so YUMMY I will be making them for xmas!!!

PEANUT BUTTER CORN FLAKE COOKIE

1 c. sugar
1 c. Karo syrup
1 1/2 c. peanut butter
4 c. plain corn flakes

Bring sugar and syrup to a rolling boil. Take off heat and stir in peanut butter and corn flakes. Drop from spoon onto waxed paper. Let cool.

Oooo yum! That peanut butter cornflake cookie looks good. I'm gonna have to try that. mommytotwo, it's looks like you might have to go get another big bottle of corn syrup. One might not be enough. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter