Use Year??

bksomody

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Question about use year, We don't have a time that we go to WDW every year. We like to take short trips and have gone in Oct, spring (March or April), and summer so not sure how to choose a use year. Since I'm a teacher summer is a good time to take last minute trips, so should I base use year on this?

Also, when adding on direct from WDW can you purchase a small contract from any resort or do you have to add on to the resort you currently own at?

If you're traveling March thru October, you probably want a february use year.

You can add on at any resort, but you may have a very long wait for certain resorts, or be blocked from being added to the wait list (gfv and gcv have closed wait lists, unless something has changed recently).

I'd suggest a March UY as that keeps all those trip months within the banking window. February should also work.

The "Use Year" is not critical for booking or using your DVC Membership, but if you always travel the same time every year it is best to have your use year before you normally travel. This way if something changes and you have to cancel your vacation plans (more than 30 days before check in), you have plenty of time to reschedule your vacation or bank the points (8 months from your use year) and save them for the next year.

through my research...I have concluded use year means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.......UNLESS.......you have a history of booking trips then cancelling them or rescheduling them.

in our 40+ trips, we have never cancelled a single trip. So for us.....use year means nothing.

through my research...I have concluded use year means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.......UNLESS.......you have a history of booking trips then cancelling them or rescheduling them.

in our 40+ trips, we have never cancelled a single trip. So for us.....use year means nothing.
Same for us. However, IMO, we've both been lucky. Life happens. :)

Never say never, we have had two occasions where our UY made life easier. A forced job relocation to another city caused us to move on short notice and a death in the family. Both times we canceled our vacations for that year and banked our points thanks to our UY.

:earsboy: Bill

Agreed - never say never. We have had family members pass away right before 2 of our trips. Having a UY that provided time to use the points meant nothing to worry about at the time as well as no points lost. It's a form of free insurance against unexpected things happening. If it never comes into play that's wonderful but it's very nice to have a good UY for your travel in the case something does come up.

So we bought a loaded contract a few years ago but I don't think our UY was ideal. We alway vacation April and Nov. We have a Dec UY and thankfully haven't had to cancel but now looking to sell current to buy another (possibly)

What is a good UY based on April/Nov travel? Thanks!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter