Use old iPhone as iPod Touch?

puffkin

DVC Owner- SSR & AKV
I have an iPhone 3GS and am coming up on my 2 year renewal with AT&T. My DS5 plays games and netflix movies on my iPhone all the time and is constantly drainging my battery. We do have Wifi at home.

My DH and I were just discussing the other night that maybe for Christmas we could get him a second hand Touch. But then I started thinking that I might want to upgrade my iPhone, especially if the iPhone 5 comes out in October (as rumored). Would I be able to just use my old iPhone with out the 3G/phone capabilities for DS? I am thinking this would be a big savings for us instead of buying him a Touch.

We did that when we upgraded to iPhone 4 - just gave the girls our old iPhone3s to use as Touches - works great. I do suggest investing in a case if you don't already have one...wish we had! :rolleyes1

I have an iPhone 3GS and am coming up on my 2 year renewal with AT&T. My DS5 plays games and netflix movies on my iPhone all the time and is constantly drainging my battery. We do have Wifi at home.

My DH and I were just discussing the other night that maybe for Christmas we could get him a second hand Touch. But then I started thinking that I might want to upgrade my iPhone, especially if the iPhone 5 comes out in October (as rumored). Would I be able to just use my old iPhone with out the 3G/phone capabilities for DS? I am thinking this would be a big savings for us instead of buying him a Touch.

You'll need to leave the SIM in for it to function at all - at least it's that way for the iPhone4. I'm not sure if that's going to cause other complications.

Yes, you can do that. Once the phone is deactivated, just the "phone" functions of it won't work, but everything else will... works just fine :)

DGF gave her sister an old 3GS as a Christmas gift last year.

We have done that as well our kids have ours, took the phone function off.

We did this in our house. My daughter got my old iphone 3gs when I upgraded. Everything works except the phone function.

Got my attention. Does it need a sim card to work as ipod touch. This my good way to buy old iphone off ebay just as ipod touch.

Thanks guys! I think this could make Xmas super easy this year! Now just to convince DH that I need to upgrade my phone :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!