USA has surpassed China in Covid 19 cases

We're all victims of the "Peter and the Wolf" scenario. We've been warned for almost 2 decades of a virus or outbreak that was going to kill us all:
  • 2002 - West Nile
  • 2004 - SARS
  • 2005 - Bird Flu
  • 2009 - Swine Flu
  • 2014 - Ebola
  • 2016 - Zika
While there were relatively small outbreaks of these diseases, the stories were played up that they were going to infect all of us. Of course, none of them turned out to be the pandemics they were said to become.

So, along comes the Coronavirus. Everyone's thinking was, "Here's another plague that's going to be blown out of proportion." By crying "Wolf!" so many times in the past, EVERYONE grew complacent about this new virus. This time, though, the "wolf" showed up at our doors and we weren't prepared for it.
I can see why some people became desensitized.

None of those warnings concerned me for my friends/family any greater than normal life. I dismissed them for the most part as something that didn't need my attention unless any major points changed. Lyme got my attention more than all of those combined because in my area that risk was more likely to mess up my day.

When I looked into what made the WHO think this had much higher risks and implications, I didn't dismiss it after they explained how and why this could likely develop into a wolf that concerned my friends/family and normal life.

The emphasis on me & mine sounds selfish but a bigger mistake was people thinking this virus somehow wouldn't pertain to them. That and the loud confidence of opinions on matters they didn't even bother to comprehend.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter