US STOPPING ALL FLIGHTS INTO THE UNITED STATES FROM EUROPE FOR 30 DAYS.

What a waste. If this had been done two weeks ago, maybe we'd have something. But, the virus is already HERE and spreading exponentially. Doubling the number of diagnosed cases every 2-4 days in the US. Sure, that sounds small, but everyone knows that if you start with a penny, and double it every day for a month, you'd have $5 million at the end of the month. That's also how this virus is going to work. Our country did far too little for far too long. And, there are STILL people poo-pooing this as "just the flu." It is NOT just the flu, and plenty of experts have been trying to tell people that for a while now. But, we've got a political establishment that thinks it knows better. I just listened to Joe Rogan's interview with Michael Osterholm, an ACTUAL expert in infectious diseases. If you're not the anxious type, listen to it. Fascinating, and unbelievably scary all at the same time.

What a waste. If this had been done two weeks ago, maybe we'd have something. But, the virus is already HERE and spreading exponentially. Doubling the number of diagnosed cases every 2-4 days in the US. Sure, that sounds small, but everyone knows that if you start with a penny, and double it every day for a month, you'd have $5 million at the end of the month. That's also how this virus is going to work. Our country did far too little for far too long. And, there are STILL people poo-pooing this as "just the flu." It is NOT just the flu, and plenty of experts have been trying to tell people that for a while now. But, we've got a political establishment that thinks it knows better. I just listened to Joe Rogan's interview with Michael Osterholm, an ACTUAL expert in infectious diseases. If you're not the anxious type, listen to it. Fascinating, and unbelievably scary all at the same time.
So very true. In fact, we actually went from 500 to over a thousand in 36 hours.

Here's a shocking statistic: The CDC is now reporting how many tests were done each day at the CDC and at US health labs around the country. While I know the private labs are starting to test, and they're not currently being tracked by the CDC, want to guess how many tests were done at the CDC and the US health labs yesterday (3/10)? EIGHT!!! Eight whole tests during a global pandemic. We're really knocking it out of the park, huh?

FYI, when China hit 700 cases, they started building provisional hospitals. It would have been nice to have heard something in tonight's speech about things they were doing to, you know, that would actually work to help contain or mitigate the virus, or to prepare in case of the amounts of sick that experts are predicting. Instead, we got a useless Europe ban.

So very true. In fact, we actually went from 500 to over a thousand in 36 hours.

Here's a shocking statistic: The CDC is now reporting how many tests were done each day at the CDC and at US health labs around the country. While I know the private labs are starting to test, and they're not currently being tracked by the CDC, want to guess how many tests were done at the CDC and the US health labs yesterday (3/10)? EIGHT!!! Eight whole tests during a global pandemic. We're really knocking it out of the park, huh?

FYI, when China hit 700 cases, they started building provisional hospitals. It would have been nice to have heard something in tonight's speech about things they were doing to, you know, that would actually work to help contain or mitigate the virus, or to prepare in case of the amounts of sick that experts are predicting. Instead, we got a useless Europe ban.

Astounding incompetence. Once again, we're all going to discover how "not great" our medical system is in America. We are at the very tip of a very big, and very dangerous ice burg, and our health care system is going to be severely tested. If we can do 8(!!!!!!) tests when the rate of infection is doubling that fast, we are doomed. Well, not all of us. Only 1-3% of us over 60, or with co-morbid conditions (which, btw, 45% of Americans over the age of 40 have because they are obese...and THAT's a co-morbid. Being obese is as bad as being 70 when it comes to the risk of dying from Covid. I really, really want to get in my house, lock the door and not come out for like 6 months. LOL. Not possible, of course, but geez...the incompetence on display is mind-boggling.

I have said all along the US government should have done this from the beginning. I would have taken it a step further and said that any US citizen that is in those infected countries, you can not return til the amount of cases has settled down.

As far as health care goes, seeing how slow the US has been in testing for the virus, I am glad I live in Canada.

From an individual perspective, once the WHO has declared a pandemic, are tests important? If one becomes ill, will it make any difference to recovery (or otherwise) that one knows the specific name of the virus?
I understand that health officials/scientists need to monitor and research how the virus is spreading and evolving, but does it matter to the sick person?

They are not a part of Europe anymore, but it is expolding there right now, so they should be included if we are doing this
Give it a week and I reckon we will be on the list too... but the government here might be putting us in lock down around them anyway!

Edited as someone confirmed it is people, not just flights that have been banned from entry

Maybe the EU should also reciprocate? I am sure there are just as many or more positives in the US than in the EU. Does this admin really think this virus that started in China, went only west via the EU to the USA?

The American healthcare system supports a viral spread. you have people with no sick leave, that work while sick or avoid Drs due to co-pay. Friends have great healthcare ( and money) still never go to the DR for a basic flu or bad cold as they don't want to pay OOP first to reach their deductible minimums. Curious how many Americans who had an annoying dry cough in January and it was this virus??

But you know " foreign" is always the enemy right now.

And if the US is getting serious about stopping spread, then they really do have to shut WDW and other parks down. hate to say it.

I wonder why the UK isn't included?

The UK is an island and has borders unlike mainland europe which allows cross border travel without checkpoints due to the Schengen agreement. UK can screen people coming into the country,others can't due to no checkpoints

The UK is an island and has borders unlike mainland europe which allows cross border travel without checkpoints due to the Schengen agreement. UK can screen people coming into the country,others can't due to no checkpoints
But are they (scanning)?

Excuse me.... what about the ‘special relationship’?😉

Nope.

Italy: 12,462 cases
France: 2,281
Spain: 2,277
Germany: 1,966
US: 1,336

That's a total of EU: 18,986, US: 1,336. The US has ~10% the amount of cases as the EU.

Source
But aren’t these figures ‘tested positives’ rather than a true assessment of true infection rates?
Edited because I appear to have lost the ability to communicate in English for a moment. 😉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter