US Policy on entry into US

pwwhitehead

Mouseketeer
What are your opinions on the changes in US Customs and the entry requirements.

Starting this October all children need their own passport also all passports need to be able to be read by a machine to enable Uk citizens to take account of the visa waiver program.

Starting October 2004 all passports need to be of the biometric type(current users exempt at present)

This year they also tried to limit the stay in the US to 30 days. This was dropped after representation by Jebb Bush as this would seriously effect the property market in Florida.

I am fully behind the security merasures after 9/11, but if the powers that be go too far this could bring down the tourist industry in Florida.

Open discussion please?

Generally i'm in favour of measures that make international travel safer and easier to manage, and policies such as requiring machine-readable passports can definitely contribute to that. Hopefully the new schemes will quicken our passage through immigration when arriving in the US, and allow us to start our holiday without a long queue to make us feel at home :)

As for the biometric passports....well, from what i've read the timetable for this was something of a knee-jerk reaction to the terrible events of Sept. 11, and there is some talk that the date will actually be put back a little (not that i'd bank on it!).

Whilst it's good in many ways to have a set deadline for everyone to work towards, there isn't yet a standard for how biometic data will be captured (iris scans, face mapping, etc) and stored in passports, which effectively stops any country from implementing a system right now.

Apparently a 90-day limit is now been discussed in the US, although I imagine the states that depend heavily on tourism will still protest. My view would be that they develop better borders controls first, and then assess whether further action is needed.

Paul

I was not aware that they are now considering a 90 day limit. Where did you read that information. I for one am considering buying a home in Florida within the next 5 years. If they apply that restriction they won't get my dollars. That will do nothing for Florida real estate!

I was not aware that they are now considering a 90 day limit. Where did you read that information. I for one am considering buying a home in Florida within the next 5 years. If they apply that restriction they won't get my dollars. That will do nothing for Florida real estate!:confused:

Thanks for the links. The second one gives a fuller account. I will have to monitor the US Embassy site for possible changes. I personally hope they apply differant criteria for home owners in the US. Or I believe they will be the losers. Possible including companies like DCV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter