US Dept of Transportation moving for new regulations barring emotional support animals on aircraft and requiring proof of training for service animals

Here's something I think you already know. According to the law your pet is just common property. I don't like pets at all. I've had to call code enforcement on my neighbor more than once because they won't pick up the dog crap on their property.
Well I don't like all humans but ya know sometimes I'm around the ones I don't like..and trust me they don't all pick up after their own well you know (ask those in retail and they'll give you horror stories of the fitting rooms lol)..

*Attempting to add some humor here though truly there are horror stories haha

Sorry, I just can't with all of it. My DS's university brought in a variety of animals to the "safe space" during finals. There were puppies, kittens, chickens and a horse. The point was for the students to interact with them and find which one was most comforting. It turned into a huge joke, and clearly was not medically necessary to support anybody. ENOUGH!! :sad2:

Paperwork or no, there has to be some limit. Support chickens are a bit of a trend right now. Filthy, smelly, disgusting chickens. This simply shouldn't be allowed anywhere in public, period.

only in America. Seriously hate to iudge but it seems to be an American thing: safe spaces and emotional support. You know feeling sad, stress and anxiety are normal emotions that one should feel and learn to deal/ cope with at some level. now before Inget flamed I get, some people have real mental issues but I do question the amount of it.

So people with sensitive allergies need to sort arrangements but people who need emotional support better not be inconvenienced?
I mean sure anxiety can be difficult but breathing is pretty crucial.

As I stated, people carry pet hair and dander on their clothing. A person could have an allergic reaction just sitting next to someone with dander on their clothing, right? So perhaps that person with such a sensitive allergy should be proactive and let the airline know there is an issue, so the airline can be prepared to move seats, or have what they need on board to deal with an issue. The allergic person should also carry what they need to make it through the flight, as no one knows if they will be seated next to someone who brings something covered in dander with them, right? Or seated next to a person with a service animal, or sit in a seat that was last used by someone with a service animal.

As I stated, people carry pet hair and dander on their clothing. A person could have an allergic reaction just sitting next to someone with dander on their clothing, right? So perhaps that person with such a sensitive allergy should be proactive and let the airline know there is an issue, so the airline can be prepared to move seats, or have what they need on board to deal with an issue. The allergic person should also carry what they need to make it through the flight, as no one knows if they will be seated next to someone who brings something covered in dander with them, right? Or seated next to a person with a service animal, or sit in a seat that was last used by someone with a service animal.
Except that allergies can occur at any time, they are not as predictable as you think think. Allergy to cat dander is very common. Someone who hasn't been around cats might not be aware they are allergic until they have a reaction. And those of who are allergic dont want to have to deal with medication side effects that could put a damper on a vacation just so someone else can take their cat on a plane.

Of course people with allergies should be proactive, but there's only so much one can do, especially since most airlines do not currently require advance notice for service animals. That means even if I call and inquire if there are going to be any on my flight, that info could change up to the moment we board. At that point, depending on the animal, I would likely have to reschedule my flight, which would certainly be an inconvenience and also likely leave me with additional expenses (because even if the airline refunds/pays the ticket difference, there's likely going to be more time at the airport and possibly needing additional food/drinks, maybe even a hotel if I have to wait a day for the next flight). If I'm flying with my kids, that would make everything much more difficult.

Thankfully as of now I haven't had issues with dander on the clothes of people I'm around (including spending hours in close physical contact with my cousin who has cats and a rabbit as long as the animals themselves aren't nearby). For me, a passenger tracking on dander on their clothes likely wouldn't be an issue, but an animal would be. And if the airline didn't notify me there was an animal on board before I get on the plane (very possible for something to get overlooked despite me notifying and asking before boarding), I might not start having symptoms until we're midair. I do have medication, but I don't know how effective it would be if I'm still trapped in close quarters with the allergen.

Any other circumstance in life where I encounter an animal I'm allergic to, it's easy to extricate myself, walk outside, and get some fresh air. You obviously can't do that on a plane. I'm all for preparing as much as possible, but with the way the laws currently are, there's only so much one can do to prepare.

Here's something I think you already know. According to the law your pet is just common property. I don't like pets at all. I've had to call code enforcement on my neighbor more than once because they won't pick up the dog crap on their property.
If it's on their property, who cares? Some people have way too much time on their hands.

If it's on their property, who cares? Some people have way too much time on their hands.
Well, if it attracts rats and it does, it effects the entire neighborhood...oh it smells in the summer. I must have struck a nerve. Do you pick up your fog crap?

Well, if it attracts rats and it does, it effects the entire neighborhood...oh it smells in the summer. I must have struck a nerve. Do you pick up your fog crap?
And exactly what authorities came out to tell ppl to clean up dog poop in their own yards??

And exactly what authorities came out to tell ppl to clean up dog poop in their own yards??
Code enforcement does. They came out took photographs and sent 1 warning letter. If they come out again it's a $100 fine and a trip to housing court.

Public nuisance laws. There's a house in my neighborhood that had poison oak growing on a front hedge. Not sure if anyone said anything about it, but recently it was heavily trimmed back. I suspect the city or county had someone to do with it since it was abutting a public sidewalk.

Public nuisance laws. There's a house in my neighborhood that had poison oak growing on a front hedge. Not sure if anyone said anything about it, but recently it was heavily trimmed back. I suspect the city or county had someone to do with it since it was abutting a public sidewalk.
I don’t think that’s the same as poop in a backyard.

I don’t think that’s the same as poop in a backyard.

That's still a public nuisance if it attracts vermin to the neighborhood. I found this for the city of Englewood, New Jersey:

City Ordinance § 3-4-6. Poop and Scoop Law (Pet Waste)
"All pet owners and keepers are required to immediately and properly dispose of their pet’s solid waste deposited on any property, public or private, not owned or possessed by the person. On any property owned or possessed by that person, all pet owners and keepers are required to dispose of their pet’s solid waste at a frequency of at least weekly or more frequently if necessary to prevent a public health nuisance." Potential fine: From $250 to $1,000​

That's still a public nuisance if it attracts vermin to the neighborhood. I found this for the city of Englewood, New Jersey:

City Ordinance § 3-4-6. Poop and Scoop Law (Pet Waste)
"All pet owners and keepers are required to immediately and properly dispose of their pet’s solid waste deposited on any property, public or private, not owned or possessed by the person. On any property owned or possessed by that person, all pet owners and keepers are required to dispose of their pet’s solid waste at a frequency of at least weekly or more frequently if necessary to prevent a public health nuisance." Potential fine: From $250 to $1,000​
Hmm Idk if the city of New Orleans has a similar ordinance, but I can say good luck getting someone to enforce that. We can’t get more important things dealt with.

only in America. Seriously hate to iudge but it seems to be an American thing: safe spaces and emotional support. You know feeling sad, stress and anxiety are normal emotions that one should feel and learn to deal/ cope with at some level. now before Inget flamed I get, some people have real mental issues but I do question the amount of it.
;) We're Canadian.

That person with such a sensitive allergy?
There is a big difference between some pet hair being on a chair or person and an actual.pet being on board.
It is interesting that you seem to have little sympathy for people with allergies.
People have conflicting needs, I think those that need service aninals must be accommodated, but it cant be completely at the expense of other peoples needs (like the ability to breath)

I think it is interesting that people with ESAs need their companion to help them cope, but there seems little regard for people who may be terrified of the animal.

That person with such a sensitive allergy?
There is a big difference between some pet hair being on a chair or person and an actual.pet being on board.
It is interesting that you seem to have little sympathy for people with allergies.
People have conflicting needs, I think those that need service aninals must be accommodated, but it cant be completely at the expense of other peoples needs (like the ability to breath)

I think it is interesting that people with ESAs need their companion to help them cope, but there seems little regard for people who may be terrified of the animal.
Well a person terrified of an animal will still have the opportunity to be in the presence (edited: corrected spelling) of a service animal or miniature (edited: spelling) horse. Service animals aren't restricted by breed either.

It only typically makes someone dig their heels in when it comes to situations such that we are talking about because one person is determining that the other person has no need for the animal and thus their issue, in this case being terrified of the animal or allergy, has the higher priority. Of those people who are determining that, their opinion may change should that animal actually be a service animal but who knows. If you're terrified of an animal the fact that it's for a blind person shouldn't change your fear.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter