Upgrades

Martin22

Earning My Ears
We are taking a honeymoon cruise in Sept/2004. Is there any chance we will be upgraded?

It just all depends on a lot of factors. I can tell you that I cruised last September and got an upgrade. I booked directly through Disney on July 4th weekend for a category 11 (because that was the lowest priced category at the time) and ended up getting upgraded to a category 8. I have heard your chances are better if you book a guarantee (just a particular category) instead of a specific cabin #, but I really don't think there is any rhyme or reason to who gets an upgrade, it's just luck. Good luck!

The chances are very slim that you will get upgraded on Disney. We've done 4 cruises in the last 1 1/2 years and have never been upgraded. I would book the category that I want and will be happy with and if they upgrade you, then you got sprinkled with pixie dust.

We were upgraded from a Cat 6 to a 4. We booked fairly late (November for a late January cruise) and booked as a guarantee.

The guarantee cabins seems to be the ones that are upgraded the most. Of course, it doesn't always happen, so again, book what you're happy with especially since it's your honeymoon.

Thanks for the quick replys. For those that were upgraded when did this happen? At check in? When you received your tickets?

Thanks again.

Our first cruise we were upgraded from a cat. 8 to a cat. 5. We found out when we got to the port. Then last year, when we got to the port we asked for an upgrade and paid $300 extra to get a verandah. We were on deck 2 cat. 9 and moved up to a deck 7. So, you can always ask when you get to the port. I'm getting there as early as possible this time. The verandah has spoiled me!

::yes::

Originally posted by Martin22
We are taking a honeymoon cruise in Sept/2004. Is there any chance we will be upgraded?
By all means let DCL know it's your honeymoon. You might get a little special attention from the head server, or some other token of recognition. But don't expect a complimentary upgrade just because it's your honeymoon.

DCL oversells some categories, knowing that some people will cancel at the 60-day mark, rather than paying their balance. To accomodate everyone, DCL may need to reassign some cabins, resulting in a few upgrades. In other words, upgrades occur for the convenience of DCL, not as special recognition for certain passengers.

A gty cabin means that you do not get to select your cabin (it will be assigned) but it will not be a lower level than what you selected. A gty means that the lowest assignment you will get is an 11. A gty 8 means that you will not be lower than an 8. It allows DCL some freedom in assigning cabin inventory, and as a bonus increases your chances of a free upgrade.

We have cruised DCL 10 times and been upgraded twice. Both times, we had assigned cabins, not GTY. In one case, the TA called and said we had been offered an upgrade. In the other, we were notified at check in that we had been given an 8 (booked 11) IF we wanted it.

September is a good month for upgrades as it isn't a busy cruise time. If the ship doesn't fill, you can always try to purchase an upgrade at the port (usually cheaper than booking the higher cabin in advance.)

The key is to book something you'll be happy in , then hope for the best.

We are cruising Sept 26th 2004 for our 14th anniversary, we booked a cat 10 and got an assigned cabin a connector and we don't need a connector, sorta hoping that they will upgrade us. We will also try the suggestions about asking at check in for an upgrade and pay a small amount and get a Verandah. Lets hope that the pixie dust sprinkles on us:hyper:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!