Upgrades

BrerNashville

DIS Veteran
I know that MS cannot book inventory available for cash rooms for someone staying on points. Does anyone have a sense as to whether we could get upgraded at check-in if they still had cash pay rooms available? Using additional points, of course. Or do they as a rule never use inventory available for cash pay in that way? We've been on a 3 night wait list for a 1BR at Kidani for a couple of months, and we just ticked into our thirty period -- so I'm not overly optimistic at this point (can't believe wait list didn't come through for three nights in the third week of September). We have a studio booked, so no big deal, but would really like the 1BR.

I know that MS cannot book inventory available for cash rooms for someone staying on points. Does anyone have a sense as to whether we could get upgraded at check-in if they still had cash pay rooms available? Using additional points, of course. Or do they as a rule never use inventory available for cash pay in that way? We've been on a 3 night wait list for a 1BR at Kidani for a couple of months, and we just ticked into our thirty period -- so I'm not overly optimistic at this point (can't believe wait list didn't come through for three nights in the third week of September). We have a studio booked, so no big deal, but would really like the 1BR.

I would keep trying. There have been reports of getting cash rooms moved at the last minute to points.

Not possible to upgrade but you can as stated keep calling.

Are you calling about the waitlist or waiting for them to contact you.

If you are waiting I would call daily.

Would the point of calling be to get lucky and talk to someone who can move the inventory from cash pay to points? If there just happened to be a points room available, wouldn't (a) someone ahead of me on the wait list get it or (b) they'd notify me? I've read that people have luck calling, but I can't figure out if calling actually did the trick for them. Any thoughts, especially after the "new and improved" wait list reservation system came online?

Would the point of calling be to get lucky and talk to someone who can move the inventory from cash pay to points? If there just happened to be a points room available, wouldn't (a) someone ahead of me on the wait list get it or (b) they'd notify me? I've read that people have luck calling, but I can't figure out if calling actually did the trick for them. Any thoughts, especially after the "new and improved" wait list reservation system came online?

There is no waitlist under 7 days.

Calling would not move a room from cash to points which is only possible with breakage points, however if you call just as someone cancels you can sometimes get it before the wait list.

so, calling before the 7 day mark, i need to get lucky on my timing and catch a cancellation before it hits the waitlist wire; calling within 7 days, I could get lucky for any number of reasons -- cancellation, mysterious availability from previously cash room, etc. I'm still well over 20 days. Hopefully, it will come through. Thanks.

so, calling before the 7 day mark, i need to get lucky on my timing and catch a cancellation before it hits the waitlist wire; calling within 7 days, I could get lucky for any number of reasons -- cancellation, mysterious availability from previously cash room, etc. I'm still well over 20 days. Hopefully, it will come through. Thanks.

At 60 days any rooms not booked with points go to the resorts for cash. Sometimes those rooms can be recalled.

That is about it as far as getting a cash room with points.

And yes sometimes members get lucky when they call and a point room shows up before it has gone to the wait list.

also, be careful about letting the front desk mess with your points. there have been several reports that they make more mistakes than MS when trying to move points around.

i'd go through MS if at all possible. if the front desk is able to help you at the last minute, try to verify in the next day or two that they used the right points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter