Upgrade to concierge for $1330??

momtofour

Mouseketeer
We are booked on the Fantasy for the 3-23-13 sailing. That was one of the "glitch" cruises and I was able to get a category 4c for the four of us for only $3785. Now I can upgrade to concierge for an additional $1330. I am frugal and am not sure it would be worth it. However, I have a high schooler who will be a senior at the time and will be 18. He will not be allowed in the kids clubs. My thought is that he may have an easier time in the concierge deck versus the adult pool area. (not constantly asked about his age) Any other thoughts as to whether or not this will be a better experience for him? I am really concerned about what he is going to do for the seven days. He has loved the clubs. Any other thoughts about concierge?

I am super biased towards concierge so take my comments with grain of salt.

I love concierge for the early booking (120 days out) and the ability on day one of cruise to add/delete/change almost anything you want hassle free via the concierge team and bypassing lines, guest services, etc. I also love boarding the ship ASAP very conveniently. Priority tendering can be a nice perk as well.

As far as your 18 yr old, the concierge sun deck was quiet and sedate the few times I visited. Not sure what you are looking for regarding that. If you are interested in Palo / Remy, you will be able to secure reservations very easily and then move them around during that first day if you desire to change or add additional seatings.

While I have read reports of young adults being asked to show ID on the pool area, this has happened to DD basically once each cruise if at all! Once the CMs see the KTTW, no more questions or issues. I can't object to her being carded once--after all, it is an ADULT area.

Based on that, I don't think having an 18 year old is a reason to upgrade to concierge. However, you are able to get concierge for basically $50 per person per day. At that price, I'd be seriously tempted. You've met my target price already and gotten a cat 4 for it--that's better than I've ever done! If you are ever going to cruise concierge, this would be the time.

For me, it would not be worth it for an additional $1330. Now if you could upgrade for $500-600, that would be another story! What is this glitch that allowed you to get such an incredible rate?? I've only been on the DIS boards for a few months, so I must have missed that. I'm on the same cruise and we got a pretty good deal by booking onboard the Dream, but not THAT good!

I think I'd definitely upgrade for $1330. Good luck making your final decision. Please let us know what you decide.

The glitch was an error that DCL put into their computer on the day cruise prices came out. Until they caught it, some people got an incredible deal. It has happened a couple of times now. Some day it will happen on my dates.

Is the price difference to concierge for a Family Concierge cabin or to a 1 bedroom suite? If only to the Family Concierge cabin not sure I'd upgrade since you will be in the same size cabin and would only have 3 beds as opposed to 4 beds in the cat. 4C. The sofabed in the Family Concierge is a double bed and there is no Murphy bed. But if you feel that you will use the concierge amenities and they are worth the price difference then I say book it.
I booked a Family Concierge cabin for our Fantasy cruise next year since it was only $600 more than the verandah cabin I had booked for Dec. 2012 - that was one of the first day pricing glitches for the 2013 sailings. I only booked it since I was able to get one of the bump out verandah's on deck 12, otherwise I might have kept my cat. 5E with a much larger verandah.

Thanks for all of the input! Keep it coming! The $1330 upgrade would be for the family concierge cabin, not the one bedroom. I am concerned about losing the Murphy bed. My 18 year old would be on the sofa bed and my 15 year old would be in the bunk. Probably not as comfortable as the 4C I have booked. Also, I am presently in 7600, a non connecting cabin. The choices I have for the concierge level are 12516.12518.12522 and 12528. All connecting rooms so I am not sure of the noise level. Any input on those cabins? Still on the fence on this!

Are you kidding? I would skip concierge in a HEARTBEAT to do an AWESOME excursion that will be an event to remember! My children LOVE the ships...but barely remember the room we're in, but always remember the private whale watching tour we had, the tour guide we had in Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast, I would spend the extra dough on an amazing jeep tour/snorkeling or other type adventure...maybe spend $800 on that and the remaining $500 on a really nice token to remember the cruise by! :)

I would take the concierge in a heartbeat. They are ever so helpful and it is just great to go across the hall for breakfast, latte, wine, ah yes lifestyles of the famous! Chances like that don't come often - take it!!

For that price I would definitely upgrade. We thought that we would not like the family room but since we had the lounge it was perfectly fine. We did miss the hot breakfast in the room, but we had a nice continental breakfast in the lounge. For an extra 35% it is not that bad of a price and when will you come by such a cheap non-port upgrade for a 7 night.

we only travel concierge, so i'm probably not the person to ask.

you'll be able to book excursions at 120 days out (if you're fully paid), definitely an advantage (unless you're platinum castaway club - which also books at 120 days).

and you'll have the concierge lounge in addition to the concierge sundeck.

but again, we only go concierge, even without those perks, so i'm the wrong person to ask.

Are you kidding? I would skip concierge in a HEARTBEAT to do an AWESOME excursion that will be an event to remember! My children LOVE the ships...but barely remember the room we're in, but always remember the private whale watching tour we had, the tour guide we had in Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast, I would spend the extra dough on an amazing jeep tour/snorkeling or other type adventure...maybe spend $800 on that and the remaining $500 on a really nice token to remember the cruise by! :)

Agree...excursions are much more memorable in my opinion. Would not upgrade unless it was only a couple hundred bucks.

Keep your room and go for excursions ...

We did concierge last year on the Dream. Sure you get to book early and get on the ship faster, priority this and that. But, it was not much different than our experience this past week on the Fantasy. We were on the ship by 12:45 and enjoying the pool & Aqua Duck with the kids. Having the extra bed to sleep in was so nice for our daughter ... we had a 4C room that had a Murphy Bed. She did not like sleeping in the upper bunk last year ... very uncomfortable.

We did all sort of Shore Excursions this year that our 2 kids will never forget. We hardly ever saw them on the ship. We did hear that there was a group of kids 18 - 21 who formed and hung out quite a bit. Disney even closed down VIBE early one night and invited them all in from like 11PM - 2AM ... just for the 18 - 21 year olds to hang out. Our son who is 16 had to come back to the room early that night.

Concierge is not all that special. Your son will have fun outside the Concierge area on the Fantasy. So much for him to do.

Just my thoughts since we just got off and saved a TON of money.

I would go for the upgrade. Keep in mind that we really like to enjoy the ship and don't do many excursions so it's a personal decision based on the way you and your family like to cruise. I'm dying to try concierge...some day maybe!

You'll enjoy it no matter where you are I'm sure...have a great trip!:goodvibes

That was one of the "glitch" cruises and I was able to get a category 4c for the four of us for only $3785. Now I can upgrade to concierge for an additional $1330.

What I can tell you is that a family of 4 would now pay over $11,000 for that room and you can have it for less than half. You're not ever going to get another opportunity like that. The only caveat that I've heard is that some people have a hard time going "back" once they've gone concierge. I mean look at me, I keep going "up" in concierge. Ugh.

As an aside, I saw a one bedroom suite open up on that cruise for $20,000. That's $3000 more than I'm paying for a royal suite the week before. Crazy. I also find it interesting how there have been NO concierge rooms on your cruise for weeks and now there's 4 or 5. Strange how that happens.

We were in 12522 on the Dream...totally quiet. I'm not sure I'd move to concierge, though. For $1330, your family could do some AMAZING excursions and have better memories than a quiet sun deck and a concierge lounge. We enjoyed it, but only because we got a great deal last October. We probably won't get to cruise concierge again, and I'm pretty ok with it. On our Magic cruise on March 24 this year, there was a pretty large 18-20 group who kept showing up to the adult activities together. They seemed like they were having a BLAST! So, I would make sure to hook your DS up with that group.

Thanks for all of the input! Keep it coming! The $1330 upgrade would be for the family concierge cabin, not the one bedroom. I am concerned about losing the Murphy bed. My 18 year old would be on the sofa bed and my 15 year old would be in the bunk. Probably not as comfortable as the 4C I have booked. Also, I am presently in 7600, a non connecting cabin. The choices I have for the concierge level are 12516.12518.12522 and 12528. All connecting rooms so I am not sure of the noise level. Any input on those cabins? Still on the fence on this!

In a heartbeat! That's a great price overall! We loved staying concierge last year in a family ocean view stateroom and booked a 1-bedroom this year! If I had gotten that great price I would take it in a second!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter