Upgrade gold AP to Platinum

Franzenel

Mouseketeer
Not sure if this is a good spot for this or not but could find a forum that would fit.

We have gold passes and we have a trip planned for apr 18-28. Our passes are set to renew on the 21st. I would like to upgrade our gold passes to Platinum now so I can use them for the first 3 days since they are gold blackout days. The ticket agent on the phone says they can only do it in the parks and because of this I will not be able to make fastpass reservations until I get there. Does anyone know of any tips or phone number to guest relations directly. I called the one I found online but it just puts you in the regular queue like the main number does. For being a guest friendly business this just seems so backwards to me.

you were given correct information. Annual passes can only be upgraded in the parks.

You just found out one of the downsides of the annual passes with blackout dates and the fast pass system. You must have valid theme park admission for the days you are wanting to book fast passes.

Other than buying another set of tickets to use to make fast passes with, and then upgrade those tickets to renew your annual pass, you are stuck with no early fast passes.

I think what I am going to try and do is buy platinum pass early instead of the renewal. They said on the phone they didn't know for sure if they would be able to run the tickets into a pass renewal. It is going to cost me an extra $400 but if I can't turn my tickets into a pass that will be a $1,300 loss. If i buy the passes now over the phone will i be able to book fast passes with that AP even though it wont be activated until I get to the park.

You can upgrade a ticket to a renewal. I just did it in December. Yes, you can make fast passes with an unactivated annual pass, I just did it last week.

You could also buy regular Disney tickets on a site like undercover tourist for a small savings over Disney prices, make your fast passes, then upgrade them at the park. You can upgrade them to a renewal, or a new annual pass

Just get tickets and renew to gold.
I have read you can use regular tickets on gold blackout days, and still upgrade to gold.

Just don't upgrade before blackout days are done, nor after your days are done on your regular ticket.

MG

I think what I am going to try and do is buy platinum pass early instead of the renewal. They said on the phone they didn't know for sure if they would be able to run the tickets into a pass renewal. It is going to cost me an extra $400 but if I can't turn my tickets into a pass that will be a $1,300 loss. If i buy the passes now over the phone will i be able to book fast passes with that AP even though it wont be activated until I get to the park.
Yes, you can apply tickets towards a renewal, which is what you need to do. Note that this is an unusual transaction. You'll probably be told it can't be done once or twice. Just say thank you and walk away, and try again somewhere else. Stick to guest services, not the ticket boot.

You can't "renew early" to get the benefits of the Platinum pass. Platinum wouldn't go into effect until your renewal date, so you'd be out of luck for those first three days.

DVC member services were able to get me the Platinum passes at renewal prices and we can use them a couple days early. We are going in December so we need Platinum for that trip too.

DVC member services were able to get me the Platinum passes at renewal prices and we can use them a couple days early. We are going in December so we need Platinum for that trip too.
I think you're going to be disappointed. Your renewal doesn't take effect until your renewal date. You still have a gold pass until then.

I explained that to her while i was on the phone that my gold passes expired on the 20th but we get there on the 18th and would like to go to the parks on the 19th and 20th. She put me on hold for a few mins and said she can do the platinum and we would be able to get in on those days. I was also able to make fast pass reservations for the 19th and 20th also.

If you were able to make fast passes for black out days they must have upgraded your current pass somehow. I have a gold pass and was considering a last minute trip right before Christmas when the days were blacked out. I could not make advance FP with my gold pass and called to try to upgrade over the phone. I was told by multiple customer service reps that it could only be done in person and there would not be able to make advance FP until I actually had a platinum pass (so I decided not to go then).

I was told the same thing. But when I called DVC to purchase new platinum passes she was getting ready to do it. And then asked me to be put on hold. She came back and said since it was only 2 days they could sell them to me at the renewal rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter