I thought my first post on this board would be about my dear mom....8 years ago (at age 72)she had brain surgery for 2 anuerysms, she stroked, she was comatose for many weeks, in rehab for many mroe and in a nursing home since. But she has defied all odds, and surpassed all projections as to extent of recovery, even from world renowned neurosurgeons at Mass General. When Marsha started this board, I posted mom's pic at her 80th birthday in September, with her 83 yr old sister. A couple of weeks after the party she fell and broke her hip. She developed pnuemonia nd we almost lost her one night when she was in extremem resiratory distress. But she rallied and a week after the hip surgery was backat the nursing home and kicking butt at physical therapy and winning bingo games as usual. Thanksgiving morning we got a call that she had been taken to the ER...she has pneumonia again. But yesterday afternoon we were dealt another devastating blow...not about my mom, about my most precious first grandchild, my 5 year old Avery. He was diagnosed with luekemia. I can't even get my mind around this. He was not feeling well at the T-day table, I was a bit distracted worried about mom, but DIL said he hadn't been himself for a week or so. I noticed his color was off and he was unusually whiney and tired but I thought maybe he was getting a little cold, and they also mentioned he'd had a flu shot Monday. DH did remark on the way home that he was concerned about how sick he looked. Apparently he got worse Friday ...and yesterday they decided not to wait for his Monday appt and got him in to the doc yeaterday afternoon. Based on the physical exam and some rushed preliminary blood work they said he appeared to have luekemia, wanted him to go ASAP to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Hanover, an hour or so from here, for a transfusion. They said plan on him being there at least a week, probably 2, maybe more depending on the further testing and treatment. They called us to come stay with his two little sisters. DIL's mom came up from Mass today and took over there. We do not know much more today, waiting for word on today's testing and meetings with pediatric oncologist. I can't even grasp that...pediatric oncologist.... I know medicine is wonderful now and he is in good hands there...but my heart is breaking. Please pray for my little guy. edited to change title....we're out of shock and denial mode and ready for the battle!!