Updated November 4 2021 Summary of Genie+ and Individual Attraction Lightning Lanes in Walt Disney World

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
This is a summary of how Genie+ and Individual Attraction Lightning Lanes are working in Walt Disney World. Genie+ has not started in Disneyland California yet. There may or may not be changes when it starts in Disneyland California

UPDATED November 4 2021
  • Genie+ can be added at midnight for day of
  • Genie+ can be for length of trip
  • Genie+ first booking of Lighting Lane =7am
  • Booking of Individual Attraction Lighting Lane Onsite Starts At 7am, both Individual Attraction Lighting Lane passes can be bought one after another
  • Booking of Individual Attraction Lightning Lane Offsite Starts at park opening time, both Individual Attraction Lighting Lane passes can be bought one after another
  • Genie+ Lightning Lane Stacking can be done
  • Genie+ Lightning Lane pass is once per ride per day, if you want to go again on that ride, you will have to join the standby line
  • If a ride goes down and you have either booked a Genie+ Lightning Lane or paid for an Individual Attraction Lightning Lane, you will get an anytime pass for that ride.
  • If an Individual Attraction ride that you have paid for does not restart before the park closes, the cost of that Individual Attraction will be automatically refunded to the original payment method.
  • If you have paid for an Individual Attraction and it goes down and you can not wait to see if it will restart, you can go to Guest Services and a get a refund.
  • The touring plan gets up dated according to your location and the info you input such as dining reservations and must do rides
  • Pay once for Genie+ and use across all parks in one day as long as you have a park hopper ticket and a park reservation
  • Individual Attractions can choose a specific time for Lightning Lane Return depending on availability
  • Rides included in Genie+ choose next available time Lightning Lane Return depending on availability
  • No cancellations of Individual Attraction Lightning Lane, use it or lose it
  • Genie + Lightning Lane can be cancelled
  • If the return time window has opened, you can not cancel Genie + Lightning Lane pass, a either scan it and don't ride or wait it out until next pass available
  • You can only pay for 2 Individual Attractions Lightning Lane passes in one day. That’s across all parks i.e. you’ve paid for Space Mountain and Mine Train at Magic Kingdom so you can’t make a third for Flight of Passage in Animal Kingdom.
  • You don't need to buy Genie+ to buy Individual Attractions Lightning Lane passes. You can just use the free Genie touring plan and buy 1 or 2 Individual Attractions Lightning Lane passes in a day
  • You can book a Lightning Lane pass for after 2pm for the park you plan to hop to after you have entered your first park. For example if you are in Epcot in the morning and decide to hop to Hollywood Studios and select a Lightning Lane for Slinky Dog Dash for 5pm, when you enter Hollywood Studios after 2pm you could select another Lightning Lane attraction as it's over two hours before your Slinky Dog Dash selection.
  • Genie + now available new UK Magic ticket purchases.
  • Prices are $105/135/200 for 7/14/21 day tickets
  • Discounted £6.99/day on 14 day tickets. No discount (£10.99/day) for 7 day tickets.
  • Full length of ticket only for pre-purchase.
  • To add Genie+ to current Ultimate tickets, you need to ring your TA or Disney and they will do over the phone. It will be added for full length of days of ticket. What they are actually doing is a new booking, changing your ticket to the new Magic ticket.
  • Ultimate tickets 2022 with dining credit booked through 3rd party are being told that if they add Genie+ for length of stay in advance they will loose the dining credit. This is because the TA has to make a new booking.
  • Ultimate tickets 2022 with no dining credit booked through third parties can get Genie+ added for length of stay in advance
  • Ultimate tickets 2022 can get Genie+ added in advance direct through Disney and keep the dining credit
  • Ultimate tickets 2021 can only get Genie+ added in person at the park ticket kiosks.
  • Genie + can be added at in person at the Kiosks at the park. As far as I know, at the kiosks it can be added for full length of ticket.
  • When adding Genie+ you can select which tickets or person to add it to when you have multiple people/ tickets linked in MDE. You do not have to add it for everyone in the party.
  • Annual pass holders can only get Genie+ on a day by day basis, not for length of stay
  • you can add Genie+ to any Ultimate. 2021 you can only do there, it’s $105/135/200 for 7/14/21 day tickets

Do not switch to Magic tickets if you have a package including dining credit as you’ll lose the credit.

2022 tickets can have Genie+ added before you go, must be 7+ days before you go, or just do it on arrival at any ticket window.

Last edited:
We are RDers, so I think that we will try, for example, on our first day when we have APRs for MK and plan to hop to HS…. buy ILL$ for the two ILL$ in HS and book Slinky using G+. RD 7DMT and then Space and follow TP recommendations until we pick up a second G+LL at 11. Then as soon as we use that, keep booking what we can at MK and slot those rides into our TP. Around midday book another G+ LL at HS. Lunch and rest then back to HS with 2xILL$ booked and 2G+LL booked.
Second day do the same for AK and Epcot. Then switch around and do HS am and MK pm etc.
Then maybe not use G+ or ILL$ until the parks get busy closer to Christmas and between Christmas and NY.

This is a summary of how Genie+ and Individual Attraction Lightning Lanes are working in Walt Disney World. Genie+ has not started in Disneyland California yet. There may or may not be changes when it starts in Disneyland California
  • Genie+ can be added at midnight for day of
  • Genie+ can be for length of trip
  • Genie+ first booking of Lighting Lane =7am
  • First booking of Individual Attraction Lighting Lane Onsite = 7am, next booking of Lighting Lane at park opening OR when first Lighting Lane used
  • First booking of Individual Attraction Lightning Lane Offsite = park opening time, next booking of Lightning Lane 2 hours after park opening OR when first Lightning Lane used
  • Genie+ Lightning Lane Stacking can be done
  • Genie+ Lightning Lane pass is once per ride per day, if you want to go again on that ride, you will have to join the standby line
  • If a ride goes down and you have either booked or paid for an Individual Attraction, you will get an anytime pass for that ride
  • The touring plan gets up dated according to your location and the info you input such as dining reservations and must do rides
  • Pay once for Genie+ and use across all parks in one day as long as you have a park hopper ticket and a park reservation
  • Individual Attractions can choose a specific time for Lightning Lane Return depending on availability
  • Rides included in Genie+ choose next available time Lightning Lane Return depending on availability
  • No cancellations of Individual Attraction Lightning Lane, use it or lose it
  • Genie + Lightning Lane can be cancelled
  • If the return time window has opened, you can not cancel Genie + Lightning Lane pass, a either scan it and don't ride or wait it out until next pass available
  • You can only pay for 2 Individual Attractions Lightning Lane passes in one day. That’s across all parks i.e. you’ve paid for Space Mountain and Mine Train at Magic Kingdom so you can’t make a third for Flight of Passage in Animal Kingdom.
  • You don't need to buy Genie+ to buy Individual Attractions Lightning Lane passes. You can just use the free Genie touring plan and buy 1 or 2 Individual Attractions Lightning Lane passes in a day
  • You can book a Lightning Lane pass for after 2pm for the park you plan to hop to after you have entered your first park. For example if you are in Epcot in the morning and decide to hop to Hollywood Studios and select a Lightning Lane for Slinky Dog Dash for 5pm, when you enter Hollywood Studios after 2pm you could select another Lightning Lane attraction as it's over two hours before your Slinky Dog Dash selection.

Thank you for summarizing this so nicely! I'll be there next weekend and this will help what to know.

So far as I can tell, you *can't* add G+ currently to 14 Day Ultimate tickets from Virgin - if anyone works out how, let me know.

UK Ultimate tickets are not currently compatible with Genie+. It is a known bug and Disney have said they are working on it

It’s wierder than that. It works in the morning then stops working at about 11am! So I could set my preferences yesterday morning and this morning, but then by lunch both days it was back to pretending I have no ticket :) I’ll let them work it out.

Attachments

• 754F8F40-ED92-4CFF-A5A5-9F04775DFB69.jpeg
    754F8F40-ED92-4CFF-A5A5-9F04775DFB69.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 12

Updated added to first post, new information about refunds of Individual Attraction Lightning Lane passes if a ride goes down and when Individual Lightning Lane passes can be bought

Reactions: itf
Thanks for doing this
I still think it's a scandalous money grab but maybe that's just me.

Thanks for doing this
I still think it's a scandalous money grab but maybe that's just me.

Its just because paid Fatspass was never in Walt Disney World. I remember back in 2017 when Max pass was started in Disneyland California. People were oh so negative the first few days and weeks, but then once everyone got used to it and found they were able to do so much more that the old Fastpass system, it became universally loved.

It just takes time to adjust to a new system and people just have to forget what they used to do.

The point of MaxPass was paying for the ability to use your phone to get a fastpass, not for the ability to get a fastpass, and it didn't replace the paper system. MaxPass wasn't a paid fastpass system. Genie+ cannot be compared to MaxPass, it's not the same thing.

It just takes time to adjust to a new system and people just have to forget what they used to do.
I don’t think I can forget another £700 of ticket costs that easily but as I said could just be me, some people may think it’s worth it to get a better experience

I don’t think I can forget another £700 of ticket costs that easily but as I said could just be me, some people may think it’s worth it to get a better experience

To me as a solo traveler who only gets to the parks once a year yes it is worth it. I know not everyone is my position, but clearly as by seen by Maxpass in Disneyland, the vast majority of people , families as well as solo guests have the money to pay for the new system.

Just watched a blogger do AK, Genie + $15, FOP LL $11, EE LL $7, total of $33pp
To be honest, that was a typical day for us, Flight of Passage then Everest then another ride.
Fastpass cost £0 (time and effort needed to get them)
Genie cost $33*family of 4= £100 per day
Maybe I’m just one of the people Disney wants to price out to keep crowds down?

Last edited:
Just watched a blogger do AK, Genie + $15, FOP LL $11, EE LL $7, total of $33pp
To be honest, that was a typical day for us, Flight of Passage then Everest then another ride.
Fastpass cost £0 (time and effort needed to get them)
Genie cost $33*family of 4= £100 per day
Maybe I’m just one of the people Disney wants to price out to keep crowds down?
You have forgotten tax 😉. It will be interesting to explore how people deal with this extra cost with the standard U.K. 14 day tickets. Will they set aside an extra pot of money, will they use funds allocated somewhere else, like restaurants? Perhaps some will take the view that WDW onsite 14 day stays are so expensive that throwing another $35/40 per day per person into the holiday pot is not such a huge deal if it improves the holiday. Broad generalisation, but I wonder whether, if offered, lots of U.K. travellers will opt to add G+ to their 14 day tickets at the point of sale. Maybe that will be WDW new incentive to replace DPs.

We used maxpass in Disneyland in 2019 as a family of 5 and loved it but we would have paid for 3 or 4 days at the most and all rides were included in cost. I was reading somewhere yesterday that Genie would cost a family of 6 about $2300 for 10 days if you include the individual rides as well. That is a shocking amount of money extra and not even for full 2 weeks

I am hoping to travel at Xmas as a group of 3 and will more than likely pay it then as only 3 of us and well it is Xmas and not easy to get through rides then anyway, but we had thought about 5 of us going back again in summer 2022 and I would feel cheated if we had to spend a good $2000 to avoid queues in May or September. For that money think we would go back to Disneyland instead or elsewhere altogether

I may purchase Genie+ for myself or my husband on the weekends or days when we are doing a waterpark during the day and going later on. Generally from what I've seen from a few places Touring Plans etc if you are staying deluxe and using both the early magic hours and the evening hours then it should be fine and not really needed much.

Luckily we don't travel until 30th April so plenty time to decide and look at waits etc without it.

It looks like it's main benefit is for Magic Kingdom. I also expect Space Mountain to drop from the ILL$ and into the LL/Genie+ group as soon as Tron is ready. Likely the same with Frozen once Guardian opens as well.

You can add G+ for the duration of your ticket, 7/14/21 days. Either contact your ticket seller before you go or it can be done at any ticket window whilst there. There’s no saving on the 7 day price but fairly considerable on 14/21 days 👍

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter