Upcoming Oct trip. What's great/magical about WDW now?

Donna M

DIS Veteran
I need to see some positivity about Disney now. We have a trip at the end of Oct, and the amount of comments and YouTubes about Disney is overwhelming negative. Even I think there are way too many changes that are leading WDW in the wrong direction.

By this time I should be excited about our trip, but I'm not there which is disappointing. I will also blame some of this feeling on the dark covid cloud still looming. We are staying for a week, and in a CCV cabin which is definitely exciting. We are only going into the parks for one day, MK, with our 2, 3 year old grandkids. We have Chef Mickey and T-Rex reservations. That should be fun; I'm sure it will be. Pool/ resort time will take up the rest of our vacation.

I would like to see how many posts can only be positive. What are you saying to yourself to get excited?

What is your general attitude about COVID?

If you're the kind who can be outside in a crowded group of people with no mask on feel completely confident and safe, you'll have a wonderful vacation. The last year and a half have been so mentally exhausting to everyone that it's a huge relief to be doing something normal again. No, the parks aren't fully operational at the moment, and there are minor inconveniences that go with that, but it's still an escape from the real world. If normal "real life" is a 4 and normal Disney is a 9, COVID real life is like a 1 and COVID Disney is like a 7. Sure, 7 is less than 9, but it's a tremendous upgrade over 1, if that makes sense.

We've been twice during COVID, and the shift from masks everywhere to masks indoors only has been a huge upgrade. When you always have to wear them, it's a drain in the heat and even worse in the rain, but the biggest problem is the constant mental reminder that COVID is "a thing." When you're able to take your mask off outside, you can forget for awhile. Forget the physical comfort of wearing a mask versus not, it's a huge mental relief.

I would like to see how many posts can only be positive. What are you saying to yourself to get excited?
We are going in December and it will be our granddaughter's first visit. Since she will be only 5 months old, very little that has to do with changes within the parks will affect how we tour. It will all be about her and how she can handle things. I'm looking forward to a slow pace, some great photo ops and just seeing her reaction to everything.

ETA: That doesn't mean that I'm excited about any of the new changes nor the reduced experience that is currently being offered. It just means that I intend to make the best of the situation. It may very well be the last visit for a very long time.

Last edited:
I know it is different but to be honest, I got the same feeling I always got this past year and the five trips I have taken. The big thing...is it still felt like you left the world behind and we tried to focus on that!

We went in with little expectations about what we would do...take it in, do the rides we could, enjoy the pools and resorts, but more importantly, just enjoy being together somewhere that was not the real life we were all living!

I will be there the end of October as well and just cant wait to once again, be surrounded by it all! Yes, I am a Disney nerd!!! LOL

We went in with little expectations about what we would do...take it in, do the rides we could, enjoy the pools and resorts, but more importantly, just enjoy being together somewhere that was not the real life we were all living!
Exactly this.

Sure, COVID-Disney might not be as perfect as Normal-Disney, but it's sure a heck of a lot better than COVID-Real-Life.

I will be there the end of October as well and just cant wait to once again, be surrounded by it all! Yes, I am a Disney nerd!!! LOL
Being surrounded by it all, that's the key. I have to put myself in a bubble now...keep out all the negativity and just look at what is positive. That's what I started doing when all the election stuff was going on. Bubbles can be nice!

would like to see how many posts can only be positive. What are you saying to yourself to get excited?
Nothing, the magic is still there for us :love: Even after 3 cancelled trips (2voluntarily) & many impending changes to typical way of touring at WDW

fully vaccinated & realistic (despite the pandemic touching our family); we’ve enjoyed 4trips Since last September

That said, we are not the sort to follow influencers in general or those self-proclaimed experts on all things Disney (including the current vibe, despite not experiencing current situation in RL:confused3)

Ignore the static. Follow the protocols designed to keep us all safe, avoid the negativity & you will have a great trip

I need to see some positivity about Disney now. We have a trip at the end of Oct, and the amount of comments and YouTubes about Disney is overwhelming negative. Even I think there are way too many changes that are leading WDW in the wrong direction.

By this time I should be excited about our trip, but I'm not there which is disappointing. I will also blame some of this feeling on the dark covid cloud still looming. We are staying for a week, and in a CCV cabin which is definitely exciting. We are only going into the parks for one day, MK, with our 2, 3 year old grandkids. We have Chef Mickey and T-Rex reservations. That should be fun; I'm sure it will be. Pool/ resort time will take up the rest of our vacation.

We've gone twice in the COVID era and have stayed at CCV both times (April and July 2021). Our July stay was 8 nights in a CCV cabin. Both stays were awesome! WL is an amazing resort for my family and has tremendous resort activities and two large pools. These last two trips have been an opportunity to try some new things. Sure, the parks are different, but we tried fishing, FootGolf, minigolf, ping pong, fuseball, and other resort activities. The hot tubs and picnic tables in the CCV cabins are wonderful. There are some nice grills a short walk from your cabin that can be used for a family BBQ.

Our July stay had a fair bit of rain with the hurricane that hugged the west coast of Florida, but we took along some board games and watched movies on Disney+ and sports and soccer on ESPN+ with the AppleTV we brought along. We had groceries delivered to the cabin and we made family meals. We took advantage of the exercise room at BR and had some amazing unplanned meals at Geyser Point - the Bison burger is fantastic (and nap inducing). Some afternoons we just sat in the cabin and watched the boats go by while reading or lounging the the hot tub. My family is still talking about their amazing CCV cabin stay from July!

Sure, it's different, but it's still vacation. Disney has a wealth of things to do that don't involve the parks, the changes in FPs (or whatever they are now called), increased costs, etc. Disney Springs requires no entry fee and there are lots of fun things to do and see there. This past trip we had Coke floats in the Coca-Cola store and made some funny custom M&Ms in the M&M store. We took a soccer ball and kicked it around at CCF some afternoons.

I think that you will have a fantastic trip! It's fair to read about the changes here on the Boards with regard to the Parks and costs. It's also fair to understand and read the opinions many have about these changes (that's what appropriately happens here and it's a really good thing). My reading helps me plan, budget, and be prepared for new things/challenges, etc. These Boards and my favorite Disney podcast keep me ready for Disney. It's also fair (as others have pointed out) to know that you are going on a wonderful vacation - even if it's different, it will likely still be incredible.

Enjoy your trip!! :-):-)

We've gone twice in the COVID era and have stayed at CCV both times (April and July 2021). Our July stay was 8 nights in a CCV cabin. Both stays were awesome! WL is an amazing resort for my family and has tremendous resort activities and two large pools. These last two trips have been an opportunity to try some new things. Sure, the parks are different, but we tried fishing, FootGolf, minigolf, ping pong, fuseball, and other resort activities. The hot tubs and picnic tables in the CCV cabins are wonderful. There are some nice grills a short walk from your cabin that can be used for a family BBQ.

Our July stay had a fair bit of rain with the hurricane that hugged the west coast of Florida, but we took along some board games and watched movies on Disney+ and sports and soccer on ESPN+ with the AppleTV we brought along. We had groceries delivered to the cabin and we made family meals. We took advantage of the exercise room at BR and had some amazing unplanned meals at Geyser Point - the Bison burger is fantastic (and nap inducing). Some afternoons we just sat in the cabin and watched the boats go by while reading or lounging the the hot tub. My family is still talking about their amazing CCV cabin stay from July!

Sure, it's different, but it's still vacation. Disney has a wealth of things to do that don't involve the parks, the changes in FPs (or whatever they are now called), increased costs, etc. Disney Springs requires no entry fee and there are lots of fun things to do and see there. This past trip we had Coke floats in the Coca-Cola store and made some funny custom M&Ms in the M&M store. We took a soccer ball and kicked it around at CCF some afternoons.

I think that you will have a fantastic trip! It's fair to read about the changes here on the Boards with regard to the Parks and costs. It's also fair to understand and read the opinions many have about these changes (that's what appropriately happens here and it's a really good thing). My reading helps me plan, budget, and be prepared for new things/challenges, etc. These Boards and my favorite Disney podcast keep me ready for Disney. It's also fair (as others have pointed out) to know that you are going on a wonderful vacation - even if it's different, it will likely still be incredible.

Enjoy your trip!! :-):-)
This sounds like an enjoyable vacation. Thanks for responding.

We are going mid October. Have ADRs at Citricos, Tiffins, Brown Derby and OGAs. We are really excited to see all the new 50th Anniversary shows/fireworks, statues and other stuff. Expecting to have a great time. We stay at BLT and love it. Hoping the indoor mask thing will go away but we will deal with it and not let it ruin our great fun.

Since you will only be going to MK for one day, there really isn’t anything new and exciting there. Tron is behind schedule so the steam train is still not running. We went October, December and May and it was really depressing not having fireworks. Our trip in August was wonderful though. Fireworks were back, weather was great, pool was nice, Epcot monorail was up and running,

You will be in such an awesome resort, you probably won’t miss the other parks. I love riding the monorail and resort hopping. Do they still offer pony rides at Fort Wilderness?

Honestly, it was just so great to be able to be in Disney and kind of forget about everything else.

Not happy about the price increases for tickets and food and merchandise. My answer to that is buy food elsewhere and who needs more merchandise anyway?

I am very sad about the water sprites not returning, I was told the company went out of business. But just riding in the Disney boats is fun too. You can even bus over to Hollywood and take a spin on the new skyliner!
Have fun!!

Spoke to someone and they told me the whole ranch area at Ft Wilderness was recently renovated and they took s little tour and saw all the horses used at MK for the trolley and some other interesting things. The grandkids would probably love that. I think you can also rent bikes at Wilderness lodge.

We gave my military serving niece a week of our points to thank her for her service. Both her and her friend went and had a great time, except they both caught Covid (even though they were vaccinated) at WDW since they felt “safe” and probably were a “little riskier” than they should have been. If you’re comfortable, go, but just be smart.

My trip in May was a split between WL/BRV and BWV. I love WL. The pools are great. The Bison burger at Geyser Point! I love just going for a boat ride to MK and back. Hopefully soon the boats will be running to CR and the campgrounds! You can also boat to MK and then hop on the monorail. The kiddos should love that!
I went over to the campground to check out the new Tri-Circle D ranch, but they were closed when we got there. They are open limited hours, so make sure you check the hours before you head over there. I think they were open 10am - 3pm or something like that. It's a really nice area though and I plan to go back during our next trip.

Disney magic and positivity aside, you’re staying in a CCV cabin. We stayed in one last January and our son-in-law now wants to do nothing else at WDW except stay in the CCV cabin. He said it was “his perfect vacation sitting in our personal hot tub and having to walk no further than the refrigerator to get a new beer”! I th8nk your trip sounds great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter