Unusual flavour combos you might be willing to try

American cheese is a variety, just like Swiss, cheddar or anything. Cheese food products are made out of any of those. Seems the average American is not aware of Deluxe American Cheese and that's a shame. It's a favorite among chefs due to its creamy flavor and meltability.
I'm imagining something like Velveeta - am I close?

Hmmm--I wouldn't have thought of cheddar and cinnamon bread as all that unusual given that cheddar and apple pie is common in some places.

Like a PP I like pineapple on a sandwhich, wih BBQ sauce (or other sauces---grilled pineapple makes a lot of sandwhiches really good).
I'Ve also been known to put granny smith apple slices on grilled chicken sandwhiches with some red onions and melted cheddar, or onto a turkey and cranberry sandwhich.

DS18 made a "sandwhich sauce" recently with cream cheese, honey, ginger ... Used it on grilled sandwhiches with flat bread, mozerlella, peppers, onions and turley--it was really good.

What else? I like fresh basil with strawberries, but I think that is realtively common as well.

Last edited:
That doesn’t really explain it though. I’m not trying to be snarky, I’m actually trying to learn. I always thought American cheese was just what we consider cheese slices. Are you saying it’s more like cheddar cheese or Swiss? Like it comes in a block?

ETA- ok, so I was curious so I googled it. Apparently it is like our cheese slices..rubbery and melts very easy. So, it is what I thought.

American cheese does come in a block that can be sliced at the deli counter like any other cheese. It has a different consistency than the wrapped slices. It's dryer and more crumbly.

I hate cheese so I can't tell you about taste. I do know my daughter likes the american cheese from the deli but not the wrapped slices. She also only likes white american cheese, she says the yellow tastes weird :confused:.

Balsamic vinegar drizzled on strawberries is delicious.

...What else? I like fresh basil with strawberries, but I think that is realtively common as well.

...Balsamic vinegar drizzled on strawberries is delicious.
Strawberries with balsamic AND basil :lovestruc DELISH!! Now you guys have got me craving sweet and savory. It's 6:50 am here - do you think it would be weird to have that for breakfast? :laughing:

I think so. I've actually looked for it before at various deli counters and have never found anything called "American Cheese". Kraft used to have a type of cheese slice that was a little thicker and not individually wrapped in plastic - maybe that was it? :confused3 I can't say I found it to be much superior to their regular slices though.

Oh, my palate craves savory/sweet! Chicago Blend popcorn, which is cheese and caramel mixed (also known as crack-corn in our house) is such a weakness of mine that I don't even buy it anymore. :blush: I'd just about put my face right into the bag and inhale it! For a bit more civilized experience I really LOVE pairing fruit with meat - especially poultry or pork. Can't imagine ham without a little "kiss" of apple, raisin or pineapple.
I do have a few exceptions. Peanut butter and cheese crackers comes to mind. Kettle corn, slightly sweet, slightly salty. I’ll eat a Bobbie which is a sandwich with roasted turkey, mayo, stuffing and cranberry sauce but I won’t let cranberry sauce come anywhere near my plate on Thanksgiving Day. :confused3

Hmmm--I wouldn't have thought of cheddar and cinnamon bread as all that unusual given that cheddar and apple pie is common in some places.

Like a PP I like pineapple on a sandwhich, wih BBQ sauce (or other sauces---grilled pineapple makes a lot of sandwhiches really good).
I'Ve also been known to put granny smith apple slices on grilled chicken sandwhiches with some red onions and melted cheddar, or onto a turkey and cranberry sandwhich.

DS18 made a "sandwhich sauce" recently with cream cheese, honey, ginger ... Used it on grilled sandwhiches with flat bread, mozerlella, peppers, onions and turley--it was really good.

What else? I like fresh basil with strawberries, but I think that is realtively common as well.

My family always serves cheese with apple pie. Then, someone has to say ‘apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze’ during the meal lol

My family always serves cheese with apple pie. Then, someone has to say ‘apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze’ during the meal lol

I was going to say that many people I know like cheddar with apple pie, so cinnamon bread with cheese sounds good to me even though I've never tried it.

My weird combination is a peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich. It's best with those good dill pickles that are sold chilled and crunchy peanut butter. I can thank my uncle for that.

I was going to say that many people I know like cheddar with apple pie, so cinnamon bread with cheese sounds good to me even though I've never tried it.

My weird combination is a peanut butter and dill pickle sandwich. It's best with those good dill pickles that are sold chilled and crunchy peanut butter. I can thank my uncle for that.

The pickle and peanut butter sandwich sounds sooo good! I don't like how sweet peanut butter is, so I put all sorts of randomness on it. Black olives are good on peanut butter, or curry powder, or bananas with caramel and salt.

As for other weird combos I do, I don't like salad dressing so I squeeze an orange onto my salad instead. I sometimes put soy sauce on popcorn or bread. This one's not super out there, but we grew up eating a tortilla heated directly on the stove with some margarine and sprinkling it with copious amounts of salt and pepper. Another one we grew up with was scrambled eggs with corn flakes or Fritos and hot sauce. I don't eat eggs anymore, but the kids love it.

I do eat cheddar cheese with raw apples, but generally ice cream (if anything) with apple pie, so the jump to grilled cheese on cinnamon bread just isn't there for me. I'm missing that middle step.

I love sweet potato fries dipped in blue cheese dressing. - Is that unusual enough?

I do eat cheddar cheese with raw apples, but generally ice cream (if anything) with apple pie, so the jump to grilled cheese on cinnamon bread just isn't there for me. I'm missing that middle step.

I love sweet potato fries dipped in blue cheese dressing. - Is that unusual enough?
Any fried potato dipped in any kind of dressing is a 100% normal combo. I have my own coven here on the DIS so if I say it, it must be true. ;)

Squirlz, 'Deluxe American Cheese' is not specific enough.
I think I would need a brand, or more specific information.
I would love to see a link.

Anyhow, KRAFT makes both the cheap, fake, 'singles', and the Deli Deluxe American cheese.
Huge, huge, difference between the two.

Any fried potato dipped in any kind of dressing is a 100% normal combo. I have my own coven here on the DIS so if I say it, it must be true. ;)
Yeah, so let's just not even talk about what unusual flavour combos you like, shall we? :rotfl:
food-drink-food-witches-witchcraft-potions-covens-lcan850_low.jpg

Last edited:

When is the next ritual though? I've got a shiny new cauldron I'm wanting to try out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter