"UnOfficial" May 2013 planning thread. It's never to early to start planning!

So today has been completly crazy. I have been on the computer all morning trying to figure out whatI wanted to book for our May 2013 package. I tried to contact the others that might come with us, but noone contacted me back. My brain hurts from all the numbers I just saw. In the end I knew where I was leaning but since it is my DD's special trip I decided to show her the pictures of all the diffrent resorts. Luckily her choice and my choice were the same. So with out further ado we are offically booked at Port Orleans French Quarter from May 26h-June 1st. Of course nothing is in stone yet, but I am very happy with my choice right now.:)

Woo hoo! :cool1:
How exciting! POFQ was on our list, but we decided CBR would be the place for us. Your DD is going to have a blast!

Hopefully your potential travel mates will contact you soon!

Yikes! Im not sure a Disney vacation next year will be in the cards for us.

I got up extra early to price out our vacation for next May. 2 rooms, 1 at Coronado and 1 at the Contemporary.

I first did 9 nights with 10 day park hopper/water park and deluxe dining = $14,300 for 5 adults, 1 child.

OK, next was 2 rooms at Coronado, not much better, around $12,000.

OK, next was 2 rooms at Coronado, 5 nights with 10 day tix and dining..$8000 plus we would have to pay for 4 nights outside the park and all of our meals...

None of the prices above included airfare approx $1500 extra.

With 2 kids in college I cant spend that kind of $$$. Ill have to wait for a different time of year when Disney typically gives out free dining for all 6 of us to go. The room discount they usually give out for May trips would not really bring the price down any.

So....I booked a 7 night cruise out of San Juan PR, visiting St Thomas, Barbados, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Lucia. 1 suite, 1 oceanview cabin = $3800. Airfare $1800, Gratuities $462 + 2 nights in PR, $320 (meals for 2 days, approx $500) Total = $6882 for 6 people. :thumbsup2

I got up extra early to price out our vacation for next May. 2 rooms, 1 at Coronado and 1 at the Contemporary.

I first did 9 nights with 10 day park hopper/water park and deluxe dining = $14,300 for 5 adults, 1 child.

OK, next was 2 rooms at Coronado, 5 nights with 10 day tix and dining..$8000 plus we would have to pay for 4 nights outside the park and all of our meals...

With 2 kids in college I cant spend that kind of $$$. Ill have to wait for a different time of year when Disney typically gives out free dining for all 6 of us to go. The room discount they usually give out for May trips would not really bring the price down any.

So....I booked a 7 night cruise out of San Juan PR, visiting St Thomas, Barbados, St Kitts, St Maarten, St Lucia. 1 suite, 1 oceanview cabin = $3800. Airfare $1800, Gratuities $462 + 2 nights in PR, $320 (meals for 2 days, approx $500) Total = $6882 for 6 people. :thumbsup2

I wouldn't rule out a Disney Vacation based on the numbers you saw today. It is day one of pricing and everything you look at is full price! There is still plenty of time for some special offers to come along. We went in May of 2011 with Free Dining and this past May with 30% off our room.
I know a lot of people booked today because they could - not me! I know where I want to stay and will wait and see:surfweb: if something comes along to make it more affordable (or I will adjust my plans) - no WAY am I booking a vacation at the Poly at rack rate! :scared:

I wouldn't rule out a Disney Vacation based on the numbers you saw today. It is day one of pricing and everything you look at is full price! There is still plenty of time for some special offers to come along. We went in May of 2011 with Free Dining and this past May with 30% off our room.
I know a lot of people booked today because they could - not me! I know where I want to stay and will wait and see:surfweb: if something comes along to make it more affordable (or I will adjust my plans) - no WAY am I booking a vacation at the Poly at rack rate! :scared:

Thanks, but staying at a Mod, I figured the best Im going to get is about 20% off the room, which would equal about $70ish off per night for the 2 rooms. I think it was ticket prices and dining that killed my dream!

I will definitely go back to Disney, either at a different time of year or with less family members (when the boys are at college, I can go with just DH and DD). I stayed at the Contemp. in 2008 8 nights, 2 rooms, 6 people with Deluxe Dining during Thanksgiving week and it was a little less than $7000!!! In Oct. 2010 it was just DH, DD and I, 12 nights at the Poly with deluxe dining and hopper/water park tix for a little less than $6000 (40% off room!!).

I think the boys are excited about the cruise and Im excited about a Disney trip with just DD in the future because we can do all the princess stuff!!!

I hope everyone enjoys their May Disney trip! :goodvibes

We decided to book at CBR! I have never been there and it looks so beautiful! DD LOVES the pics of the pool and I know we will be spending lots of time swimming.

We are so excited!

Congrats on booking your trip today. CBR was definatly on the list of Resorts I was looking at (my DD really liked the look of the pool) but in the end she liked the room at POFQ better. Plus I like how everything is close to the bus stop without having to pay more for Prefered Rooms:thumbsup2

Woo hoo! :cool1:
How exciting! POFQ was on our list, but we decided CBR would be the place for us. Your DD is going to have a blast!

Hopefully your potential travel mates will contact you soon!

Thanks I hope they contact me soon as well. But I am not going to put my trip on hold for them. I just hope that my sons father relizes how much he would save if he just shared the room with us.:hyper:

I am so sorry to hear this. I know how excited you were about the trip. How exciting about the cruise though. It sounds like a lot of fun and alot more affordable for your family. I was quite sad when I took your name off the list, but I can add it back any time if things change.:thumbsup2

I looked at the prices today and I was :crazy2:. But I promised my DD so I went ahead and booked. I was contemplating waiting until some discounts came out, but then I was worried that the room that I wanted was going to be gone. Yea I am probably over worring, but it feels good to have my money in Disney's hands where I can't spend on something else.:goodvibes

Really hoping for some discount. Anything would be great at this point and would save us some money for some other things. Glad at this point that I decided to make my budget more than I thought I would need so that the release of todays prices were not such a shock to me. So excited.:hyper::hyper:

Hello!!! I just requested to join the FB group - and coming on here to introduce myself :)

We're about to book 6 nights at Beach Club for May 5-11th. We were at ASMu last April in a suite for our first family trip. We got a suite thinking we needed it so the kids could go to sleep before us- but we all ended up crashing every night together at the same times - so we decided to spend the extra $$ at a better resort this time- and Beach Club is the one I've been dying to try - i hear such amazing things about the pools, etc.

I'm waiting for a quote from a TA friend of mine - I got one from AAA... so need to compare and decide which to go with. Any advice? I know the AAA perks, and would love to have them- but hear a lot of negative about booking with AAA, too.... anyone here have info?

If I book with AAA can they change things if a new discount comes out, the way a Disney TA can? Other than that- i'm OK with making my ADRs, etc. I love the planning part and don't mind diong that kind of work :)

Just booked May 4-12 at POFQ. Was a little surprised by the increase in price from what I had been looking at in 2012, but that's okay. Hoping for a room-only discount!

Also, need to call them up and add Magical Express sometime cause I forgot - hoping to use it for transportation but not luggage service.

Hello!!! I just requested to join the FB group - and coming on here to introduce myself :)

We're about to book 6 nights at Beach Club for May 5-11th. We were at ASMu last April in a suite for our first family trip. We got a suite thinking we needed it so the kids could go to sleep before us- but we all ended up crashing every night together at the same times - so we decided to spend the extra $$ at a better resort this time- and Beach Club is the one I've been dying to try - i hear such amazing things about the pools, etc.

I'm waiting for a quote from a TA friend of mine - I got one from AAA... so need to compare and decide which to go with. Any advice? I know the AAA perks, and would love to have them- but hear a lot of negative about booking with AAA, too.... anyone here have info?

If I book with AAA can they change things if a new discount comes out, the way a Disney TA can? Other than that- i'm OK with making my ADRs, etc. I love the planning part and don't mind diong that kind of work :)

Welcome GoldieLocks5 to the thread and the FB page. It's great to have you. Except for our first trip, I have mad the other two on my own. I like the control I have doing it myself, plus if I have all the info in front of me I know that it's all correct. But than I can be a little anal about things.:goodvibes

I have added you to the list.:thumbsup2

Just booked May 4-12 at POFQ. Was a little surprised by the increase in price from what I had been looking at in 2012, but that's okay. Hoping for a room-only discount!

Also, need to call them up and add Magical Express sometime cause I forgot - hoping to use it for transportation but not luggage service.

Yea anothe POFQ person in May. I am hoping for any discount, several to compare and see what would save us the most amount of money would be great.:lmao:

I almost forgot to add the Magical Express as well, but remembered just before I was about to click through. I ended up using the bus last year with out the luggage service. I just didn't put on the ME tags on the luggage (actually I brought everything as carry on. Didn't want to pay the extra to have it checked. I did use the service for one bag on the way back.)

I fixed your details on the list.:thumbsup2

I just joined the FB group! We just decided today to go with a package, so will booking that tonight :banana: We have been watching disney videos on youtube and I am ready to go NOW!!!!

So now that we have our trip booked, I am scouring the menus on allears and some of the dining review threads on the dis. One place I would love to try is Be Our Guest! We will have the regular DDP. I am kinda getting a little worried because we will have a 5 month old. Not sure how he or she will handle set-timed meals. Anyone with experience with infants and TS meals?

Pebblesmom---thanks for mentioning youtube! I am dying for some disney in my life. popcorn::

So now that we have our trip booked, I am scouring the menus on allears and some of the dining review threads on the dis. One place I would love to try is Be Our Guest! We will have the regular DDP. I am kinda getting a little worried because we will have a 5 month old. Not sure how he or she will handle set-timed meals. Anyone with experience with infants and TS meals?

Pebblesmom---thanks for mentioning youtube! I am dying for some disney in my life. popcorn::

My twins were 2.5 when we went last year - and I was VERY worried about how they would do at meals- because at that time we were avoiding any restaurants with them b/c they were at a horrible age for restaurants... But they did GREAT at Disney restaurants - they seemed to like the down time- and we did a character meal each day so that excitement helped them enjoy eating even more.

so you just play it by ear... i think at 5mo it's much easier to manage than two 2.5yos, lol.

My twins were 2.5 when we went last year - and I was VERY worried about how they would do at meals- because at that time we were avoiding any restaurants with them b/c they were at a horrible age for restaurants... But they did GREAT at Disney restaurants - they seemed to like the down time- and we did a character meal each day so that excitement helped them enjoy eating even more.

so you just play it by ear... i think at 5mo it's much easier to manage than two 2.5yos, lol.

Thank you for responding! I am obsessing over bringing an infant lol. It has been 7 years since I had an infant, I think I am forgetting how it is with them in public restaurants. We are on the DDP mostly because we love to eat and DD loves the character meals.

Yea anothe POFQ person in May. I am hoping for any discount, several to compare and see what would save us the most amount of money would be great.:lmao:

I almost forgot to add the Magical Express as well, but remembered just before I was about to click through. I ended up using the bus last year with out the luggage service. I just didn't put on the ME tags on the luggage (actually I brought everything as carry on. Didn't want to pay the extra to have it checked. I did use the service for one bag on the way back.)

I fixed your details on the list.:thumbsup2

Thanks!

Yeah, we are hoping for a discount as well, but know that the 2012 room-only discount for POFQ wasn't as good as the other moderates/hotels due to it booking up easier (since it's smaller). If the room-only offer comes out to the public and we can save hundreds if we switch to POR instead, we're probably going to do that. Here's to hoping the percent off for the public is decent for POFQ this year, or otherwise we get private pins! :)

I just joined the FB group! We just decided today to go with a package, so will booking that tonight :banana: We have been watching disney videos on youtube and I am ready to go NOW!!!!

Welcome to both the Thread and FB group. :goodvibes Can't wait to hear more about your trip so I can add you to the lis.:thumbsup2

Thanks!

Yeah, we are hoping for a discount as well, but know that the 2012 room-only discount for POFQ wasn't as good as the other moderates/hotels due to it booking up easier (since it's smaller). If the room-only offer comes out to the public and we can save hundreds if we switch to POR instead, we're probably going to do that. Here's to hoping the percent off for the public is decent for POFQ this year, or otherwise we get private pins! :)

I am thinking the same thing. The only thing is that I am going to see if adding a prefered room is going to make a diffrence. One of the reasons I like POFQ is because all the rooms are close to the Bus Stop. I would have to do a Prefered room at another mod which would cost more. In the end POFQ might still be cheaper because of that. Prefered rooms work out better for my family due to medical issues.:thumbsup2

I also have some good news. I talked to my sons father today and it looks like the trip is a go for him. I also talked about the money we would save if we shared a room (we are such good friends now that it wouldn't be uncomfortable at all. Plus with my son having CF I would feel better if he was with me). He definatly agreed with me. Of course nothing has changed yet, but when he is able to send me money I will change the reservation from 1 adult and 1 kid to 2 adults and 2 kids.:cool1::cool1: Of course I am not counting my chickens before they hatch, but if it does happen I will be saving over $600. :hyper:

I'm not exactly sure when we'll be able to go in May. My daughter graduates from Belmont in Nashville on May 4th. My son attends Kent State and gets out sometime around May 12th. My husband's work schedule is important and limits the weeks we can go on vacation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for May 20th or so....

I'm happy to be part of a group like this. I've never planned a trip with others!:hippie:

I'm not exactly sure when we'll be able to go in May. My daughter graduates from Belmont in Nashville on May 4th. My son attends Kent State and gets out sometime around May 12th. My husband's work schedule is important and limits the weeks we can go on vacation. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for May 20th or so....

I'm happy to be part of a group like this. I've never planned a trip with others!:hippie:

Welcome CraftySue, it's good to have you here. Hope that everything falls in place for you for the May 20th date.:thumbsup2

I'm heading down from May 7th to either the 14th or 15th. It will just be me and best friend down there to celebrate the completion of my undergraduate degree and my 21st birthday (so what if my birthday is actually in September ;)! Right now we're planning to stay at AoA but that might change to a POR royal room depending on the discount offered. Praying for a PIN! I get them every month but I have this gut feeling that I won't get one for May, ugh.

I'm heading down from May 7th to either the 14th or 15th. It will just be me and best friend down there to celebrate the completion of my undergraduate degree and my 21st birthday (so what if my birthday is actually in September ;)! Right now we're planning to stay at AoA but that might change to a POR royal room depending on the discount offered. Praying for a PIN! I get them every month but I have this gut feeling that I won't get one for May, ugh.

Welcome fae. What a great way to celebrate your degree and 21st birthday. And don't worry I plan on celebrating my 40th birthday even though it will not be until August. :thumbsup2

I added you to the list so let me know if anything changes. :thumbsup2

Hey everyone, I am new here at the DisBoards and wanted to say hi. I will be going to Walt Disney World on May 11-18th and will be staying at POR. I am a single mom and will be taking my daughter for the second time for her birthday. She will be turning 10 during our stay.

I couldn't be more excited to meet all of you and plan our trips together.:goodvibes

Hey everyone, I am new here at the DisBoards and wanted to say hi. I will be going to Walt Disney World on May 11-18th and will be staying at POR. I am a single mom and will be taking my daughter for the second time for her birthday. She will be turning 10 during our stay.

I couldn't be more excited to meet all of you and plan our trips together.:goodvibes

Welcome to the Disboards! I think you'll find that we're a lively chatty bunch of folks. I started a trip report a while back and I'd love to have you come over for a read. It won't take long to catch up because I have handy dandy chapter links on the first page. Just click on the "Excuse me....." link below.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter