Universal vs Disney vacation packages

GoldmanTrust

Mouseketeer
Hey guys,

Has anyone done both and can compare how it is to stay on site at Universal vs Disney?

This year we stayed at Cabana Bay and we loved it. We are already starting to plan our vacation next year.

Ideally we would like to return to the Universal-area, but the scholar in me likes to explore all options.

This year we went to MNSSHP and kind of enjoyed Magic Kingdom. So I have been exploring the Disney resorts. Looking at the price points and accommodations it seems like Universal is way more logical. Is that the truth? What do you guys think?

We kind of think that we want to return to Cabana Bay (we love how close it is to Volcano bay). We have also looked at Aventura, but is that further away from Volcano Bay then CBBR?

Appreciate the help!

Aventura will be very close as well. It is beside Sapphire Falls.

It is tough to compare Universal and WDW. Both have their pros and cons and these are different for each family.

Totally agree with Damo...as much as you may like to compare them, it is like comparing apples and oranges. So, when you do 'compare', you really need to decide whether you want an apple or an orange, or a bit of fruit salad.

That being said, we have decided, over the years, that a trip to Universal, staying onsite at a RPR, HRH or PBR, is our preferred vacation. Why? We take a vacation the same time of year, with 2 boys (all at adult rate). We can get a Seasonal Pass for each of us for about the price of a 4-day Park-to-Park ticket...we go later in the week of vacation the first year and earlier the next year...this allows us to use the Seasonal Pass for two vacations...saves about $1200 between the two vacations. We use the Passholder discount at the hotel (of the ones that offer Express Passes) offering the best deal during our stay. When we arrive, we just relax, because it is so easy to go do what you want, when you want, without really having to plan things out, because you are so near the parks or an easy walk back to your room. It is just thought-free after we get there. That is why we love it.

WDW is nowhere near as convenient and thought-free after you arrive, nor is it particularly easy to move freely about and walking back to your room from any of the parks is not going to happen...but, that doesn't mean there isn't a lot more to do when you are there.

So, each has its own appeals and detractions.

Let's say UOR is an Orange and WDW is an Apple.

I prefer Oranges. You may like Apples. Some like both.

I would suggest getting ideas about how some work their vacations, as I explained ours, and see if you can't get some tips that help you better decide. Your question is about comparisons of the two resort packages, so, I am sorry if this is not helpful.

So, in general, Dis resorts are more expensive for a similar level of convenience (you can walk to MK from Contemp, walk to DHS and Epcot from several deluxes, boat to MK from several deluxes, and monorail from several deluxes). You get EP at Uni for deluxes that are similar in price to high priced moderates or lower priced deluxes at Dis. The theming is similar. The amenities are similar. If you want to talk strictly dollars and cents, then yes, Uni is more logical. That said, vacations are often not about logic. And Dis is huge. There is a wider variety of things to do, places to eat, and theming or experiences for everyone. Like the pp said, it comes down to whether or not you want that apple. If so, it's worth it.

What I liked most about our CBBR stay was the fact that our room was less than 400 steps from the enterance of Volcano Bay.

I love VB and I would probably not trade a CBBR vacation for the Deluxe hotels, just because of the proximity. We had a two week explorer pass and for me that's the way to go.

But even still, I like MK and haven't been to the other Disney parks since I was a kid. So a part of me wants to try it out. But looking at the prices and how close everything at Universal is, I think I couldn't handle a Disney vacation.

I like both Disney and Universal.

I prefer staying off site at Disney and driving--it is WAY faster to get around than the Disney transportation system. (My wife and I were in Orlando last week with another couple-and we wanted to go to Polynesian to get a drink-and then take monorail around to check out the other resorts--took forever to get from one place to the next. We then were heading to the boardwalk for dinner--to get to the boardwalk from Polynesian via Disney transportation is about an hour (google it, you will see)--driving yourself is like 10 minutes- and driving around Disney is very very easy)

Wyndham Bonnet Creek is the preferred resort as it is right next to Caribbean Beach Resort. So you are on Disney property basically and about a 5 to 10 minute car ride from almost everything.

Universal is much better to stay onsite. The convenience of walking to each park-and the express passes just make it a no brainer.

They are different vacations to me. Both are good--my family with the age of my boys leans towards Universal by a bit at the moment.

Do you have a TA that you work with? A good TA can make a custom vacation package that icludes both, rather than canned ones on websites.

Also depends on how much time you plan on being at the hotel vs the parks. When our kids were younger we would stay on resort because we would come back to the resort for a nap/pool break, go back to the parks for a couple hours, leave the park earl, go back to hotel for more pool time/dinner etc. now that our kids are teens we have been staying offsite, go to park openings, close the park down, uber back to the hotel just to sleep. So totally pointless to stay on resort.

Last edited:

I stayed at almost all the Disney moderate and Deluxe resorts - and for the most part I find them way overpriced and not really run as a hotel.
They are basically a place to store people to go to the parks.

The Universal Hotels are run by a hotel chain that are focused on the hotels and nothing else.
When I have had problems at Disney they really dont care, at the Loews Hotels, like any major chain, they make it right and they have a loyalty program.
Disney hotels could not care less if you have been there 50 times

On my last trip I stayed at Universal the entire time and got transport over to Disney for a couple of days.
Obviously it was not as convenient as staying on property and that is what it comes down to.
There is a lot to do at Disney, and it is much more convenient if you are staying on property.
They also have magic express that gets you back and fourth to the airport - this is one thing I really with Universal would do.
If you arrive at 10Am to the Airport you just go to your resort get your tickets and go to the parks - no need to worry about luggage etc...
your bags are in your room when you get back from the parks
With Universal you need to arrange transport, deal with your bags, store your bags at the hotel, go back tot he hotel to offically check in get your bags etccc.
It is one place they are lacking.

Staying on property at Disney gets you earlier access to the fast passes and dinning reservations.
You will need to take advantage of that and do a lot of planning - that's why I tend to spend little time at Disney - it is way too much planning and way too packed.
There is no planning at Universal - especially if you stay at RPR or above since you get Express pass included.

From CBBR or Adventurea you can walk to the parks if you want to or take the bus or take a boat to Sapphire and walk from there - so a few options.
At A less expensive Disney resort you will be taking a bus (or driving)

On my last trip I actually regret wasting the time and money going to Disney - it was just a disappointment for me - but I have been many times.

All that said if you have not been to Disney other than MNSSHP then I would say book it and stay on property at one of the moderates - I would recommend Caribbean beach or Coronado Springs

As for using a TA - I would not recommend it - you really are going to need to do a lot of planning between booking rides and meals about 60 days in advance - they are not going to do that for you - they may not even inform you of all you need to do. I have run into far too many families that used a TA and had no idea they had to book anything in advance.
There was a time TAs got deals from Disney and were well taken cars of - but that was a long time ago - but YMMV

The best thing you can do is go to the Disney Planning forums here and spend some time reading threads and watching for deals.

Appreciate all the answers. Really insightful.

We stayed for 2 weeks in CBBR and what we really liked was how close it was to Volcano Bay. We stayed at the Americana building and we were about 300-400 steps from our room to the entrance of Volcano Bay. We went there almost every day. We feel like that is our favorite park in the area. Just how relaxing it is to stay there. So we probably would not like to stay at the other hotels, except for Aventura - but it remains to be seen how the will execute the walkway to Volcano Bay.

These great comments above, that you guys made, kind of confirm my feeling - Disney is to much of a hassle. To much planning, to crowded. I enjoy going with the flow in Universal and we will book another 2 week vacation after the weekend, for 2018.

Thanks guys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter