Universal or Busch Gardens

mom2riceboys

Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>I am in love with T
We have added a couple of extra days to our trip in May. My husband wants to try Busch Gardens. My DS10, DS5 and I want to go to Universal/IOA. We have been to the Universal parks before and loved them. Never been to BG. Looking at BG's website, it just doesn't look like that much fun, especially for the little one. (FYI, we have been to AK and love it. Hated Seaworld.) I need some input. If you had two days for UF/IOA or BG, which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

the orlando flexticket includes US/IOA, SW, and wet n' wild. there's an additional upcharge to add BG. it's good for 14 consecutive days after you hit the first park. it's the best deal in orlando, we have friends get it when they come down on vacation. but around $250.00 per adult, I don't think it's what you're looking for. why not have your husband drive over this way while you guys spend the day in orlando?

it is only worth it if you plan to visit more then one day, we do 3 or 4 days at us.ioa, 1 day at seaworld and we are looking at 2 days at bg at least, so the flex ticket works for us. you can read up on it at the ticketmania site and i believe the other sites even the universal site has a desription of it, with the 5 flex ticket your shuttle price to bg is included so you get transportation, i think we will still drive, there is nothing like getting out of a park, in your car alone and you can just go.

Thanks everyone for the info. If we had more time, the flex pass would be a great deal. We'll have to keep that in mind for future trips.

I would pick US/IOA, the one time we went to BG we experience too many broken down rides (one while we were on it! Nothing like having to get out of a rollercoaster when you are almost up to the top of the first drop, and have to walk down the steps.)Then we all got front of the line passes for any ride in the park so we decided to do the safari ride, well guess what...that broke down too, so we decided to call it a day!

Considering your kids ages, I would pick US/IOA. Haven't been to BG in years. Although I love animals and will consider going again in the future. Plus we went to US/IOA last year and had a great time. There is always plenty to do. :sunny:

I would choose US/IOA, because of the difference in the drive. We actually like US/IOA as much as WDW, if we're staying onsite (my DH & DS like it more). :scared1: Not so much, if we're not staying in one of their resorts.

As far as BG, we live in the Tampa area & go fairly often. Oddly enough, I've never had to walk off a ride, because it broke down. Actually, I can't remember ever seeing a ride broken down. I suppose it's all in the timing. They used to have a simulated ride that broke down constantly, but they've gotten rid of it now. The Land Of The Dragons is a great area for younger kids. Your 5 yr. old should love it. If your 10 yr. old is brave, he & his dad could ride the coaster, while you & your youngest went to LOD. There's also rides for all of you to enjoy together. If I read your OP correctly, you all loved AK. I wouldn't really compare BG to AK or SW, but the animal attractions are definitely more like those at AK than at SW. If your DH really wants to go to BG, you may want to give it more consideration. Like I mentioned earlier, the commute would be a deterent for me. However, DH & I like to park our car when we reach a destination & never see it again until we head home. If you wanted to spend a night or 2 in the BG area, there's plenty more to do, if you don't want to go to the park 2 days in a row.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

tarheelmjfan said:
I would choose US/IOA, because of the difference in the drive. We actually like US/IOA as much as WDW, if we're staying onsite (my DH & DS like it more). :scared1: Not so much, if we're not staying in one of their resorts.

As far as BG, we live in the Tampa area & go fairly often. Oddly enough, I've never had to walk off a ride, because it broke down. Actually, I can't remember ever seeing a ride broken down. I suppose it's all in the timing. They used to have a simulated ride that broke down constantly, but they've gotten rid of it now. The Land Of The Dragons is a great area for younger kids. Your 5 yr. old should love it. If your 10 yr. old is brave, he & his dad could ride the coaster, while you & your youngest went to LOD. There's also rides for all of you to enjoy together. If I read your OP correctly, you all loved AK. I wouldn't really compare BG to AK or SW, but the animal attractions are definitely more like those at AK than at SW. If your DH really wants to go to BG, you may want to give it more consideration. Like I mentioned earlier, the commute would be a deterent for me. However, DH & I like to park our car when we reach a destination & never see it again until we head home. If you wanted to spend a night or 2 in the BG area, there's plenty more to do, if you don't want to go to the park 2 days in a row.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. :)

Thanks for the info! You are making us want to do BG now!!! :thumbsup2 The boys definitely want to do the Universal parks, so I think we're going to add a couple more days to our trip so we can visit BG. We'll have a rental car and DH said he doesn't mind the drive.

twinz said:
I would pick US/IOA, the one time we went to BG we experience too many broken down rides (one while we were on it! Nothing like having to get out of a rollercoaster when you are almost up to the top of the first drop, and have to walk down the steps.)Then we all got front of the line passes for any ride in the park so we decided to do the safari ride, well guess what...that broke down too, so we decided to call it a day!

Thats funny went to US/IOA 2 years ago and every ride we went on either broke down while we were in line or on the ride. They blamed it on lack of people traveling. Jurrasic Park was broke down for 2 days they had no idea what was wrong with it then when they finally did get it working. We went on the ride as single riders and they put me (I weight 120bs) in a row with people at least 2xs heavier then me.I protested saying that it wasnt safe for me because how the restraint system was. They said I would be ok well I was right after the big fall and sudden slow down I was thrown far enough in my seat that (1st row) my knees slammed into the front of the car all metal and at the end of the ride they were rushing to get us off and I said I was having a hard time because my knees got slammed during the ride not one person said or did anything to help. We went to Customer Service and asked if we wanted to have there nurse look at me I was like what can she do. My knees killed me for the remainder of the trip. We went on MIB it broke down while we were on it so they said to get to the front of the for a reride it broke down again while we were on it. Went to the Spiderman ride it broke down while we were inline for the ride. ind you this is all on the same trip.

We have the platinum passport for BG and never once have we had a ride breakdown while we were there. We have had it for over 2 years and have gone at least 6 x's to the Tampa one and at least that many to the one in VA.

I think BG would be better to do the US/IOA because at IOA/US they just dont care about you. IMO.Plus I will not go to US/IOA ever again.

Sorry for the long post

you will love either one, i am not sorry to say but we had more fun at US/IOA then disney, but we do them all, we love them all

I read your OP incorrectly, I thought you didn't like AK. my bad. BG is our home park... like I posted earlier, it's a great park. take the kids into lory landing to feed the lorikeets. check out the animal nursery to see the new arrivals. one of our lowland gorillas has a new baby in the habitat. the park is very large and has a varied amount of attractions. it's definately worth the drive.

sorry for reading your OP wrong. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!