Universal on MLK weekend

Todd&Copper

<font color=darkorchid>Sweet Chicken, that is one
So, how crowded does Universal tend to get on MLK weekend. I know the unofficial guide is predicting crowd level 7 for WDW, which is managable, and DH and I will have 2.5 days [Fri afternoon - Sun night, possibly Mon morn, too] to see US and IOA.

We are not staying at a Universal hotel - couldn't find a deal under something like $200 a night, so I got the Doubletree - and have the unlimited 7-day passes that are also good for City Walk.

DH is *so* excited about Universal!

Thanks!

NO ONE here has any ideas about crowds on MLK weekend? :confused3

They are pricing express pass for that weekend:
1/16/09 $19.99
1/17/09 $19.99
1/18/09 $25.99
1/19/09 $19.99

So they are expecting a bigger crowd on Sun then that Monday.

So, how crowded does Universal tend to get on MLK weekend. I know the unofficial guide is predicting crowd level 7 for WDW, which is managable, and DH and I will have 2.5 days [Fri afternoon - Sun night, possibly Mon morn, too] to see US and IOA.

We are not staying at a Universal hotel - couldn't find a deal under something like $200 a night, so I got the Doubletree - and have the unlimited 7-day passes that are also good for City Walk.

DH is *so* excited about Universal!

Thanks!
Since the EP's are pretty cheap and the parks aren't open later than normal for that time, I doubt the crowds will be huge. It's a holiday weekend so it will be a little busier than normal but you shouldn't need the Express Plus passes that weekend. You are staying close enough to the parks that you could get there early to beat the crowds.

Thanks. We are currently planning on IOA on Saturday and the Studios on Sunday, with some time at either on Friday and Monday [and City Walk in teh evenings, since the parks close early].

We were there on Saturday before MLK in 2008. IOA was fine in the morning but US had lines for the popular rides of 15-30 minutes in many cases and Mummy and Disaster reached 60. I just recommend getting there at opening and do the popular rides first. Just like at Disney.
BD

Since the EP's are pretty cheap and the parks aren't open later than normal for that time, I doubt the crowds will be huge. It's a holiday weekend so it will be a little busier than normal but you shouldn't need the Express Plus passes that weekend. You are staying close enough to the parks that you could get there early to beat the crowds.
Parks closed at 8pm on New Years Day and crowds were very large.... I think 8pm was an early closing time considering it was a Holiday... and a long Holiday weekend to boot. So you really cannot go by closing times.

We were in both parks last year on MLK day and didn't find them crowded at all. We didn't have more than 15 minute waits at the most popular attractions and saw everything we wanted to in both parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!