Universal in January

dianemom2

DIS Veteran
We have a trip planned for the end of January in the middle of the week. We have been to Disney several times so I know what to expect and how to plan when we go there. However, it has been close to 20 years since DH and I were at Universal so I am not sure what to expect. We have two kids, ages 8 and 9. They are not into big roller coasters but they enjoy most other rides. We have three days to see Universal and IOA. How should we divide our time? How crowded will the parks be at the time of year? What are the can't miss attractions? Do you think I will need to buy the special passes to bypass lines? What restaurants are good choices for lunch with the kids? I know that the parks close by 6 at that time of year so we will probably eat dinner outside of the park and spend our evenings relaxing.

We have a trip planned for the end of January in the middle of the week. We have been to Disney several times so I know what to expect and how to plan when we go there. However, it has been close to 20 years since DH and I were at Universal so I am not sure what to expect. We have two kids, ages 8 and 9. They are not into big roller coasters but they enjoy most other rides. We have three days to see Universal and IOA. How should we divide our time? How crowded will the parks be at the time of year? What are the can't miss attractions? Do you think I will need to buy the special passes to bypass lines? What restaurants are good choices for lunch with the kids? I know that the parks close by 6 at that time of year so we will probably eat dinner outside of the park and spend our evenings relaxing.
First off...I would check some of the stickies at the top of the forum and some of the trip reports to get some ideas. I can tell you January is not a busy month so I think you could safely avoid getting the Express Passes as you probably won't need them. You can take your time and do what you want without wearing yourselves out.

Three days should be plenty of time to see and do everything you'd want. :thumbsup2

As far as restaurants your kids would like...at IOA I would recommend Captain America Diner, Comic Strip Cafe, Thunder Falls Terrace, Circus McGurkus Cafe Stoo-pendous and for a nice lunch...Mythos.

At the Studios...the kids would like Louie's, Mel's Diner and the Midway Grill (although it's more of a hotdog stand than sit down restaurant). You might want to have a nice dinner at NASCAR, Hard Rock Cafe or Margaritaville at CityWalk.

I went last January and there were no crowds at all. Wait times were 20 min or less. We went on MIB about 8 times in a row with no wait at all. It's a great time to go if you want to avoid crowds. I would not buy express pass-I don't think you will need it.

There are only 3 or 4 big coasters, so you will still be riding alot of rides. My kids love the play areas. Jurassic Park has a great playground-make sure to wear tennis shoes for all the rope climbing/bridges. Don't miss Spiderman-my kids love it.(hint-if it gets too intense, take off their 3-D glasses) I have not been on the Simpsons ride yet but I hear its good. You should have time to go on everything in three days. (more than once)

My kids like all of the restaurants. I let them pick a place for lunch. Margarittaville has the volcano, which is kind of fun to see.

Thanks for the help. It appears that this is going to be the perfect time for us to visit Universal. We are really looking forward to it. I hate crowds so this seems like a great time of year for us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!