Universal "Front Of Line" tickets?

mikeymars

DIS Veteran
We're DVC members who will be staying for 6 days at the Grand Californian this August. Part of the plan is to spend a day up at Universal Studios Hollywood, but I have question about tickets for that park that perhaps an experienced visitor here can answer:

As you may be aware, there are several forms of tickets available to Universal. I'm interested in the "Front Of The Line" passes, but after visiting the Universal website, I'm not sure these are going to be available when we visit.

The site allows you to buy tickets online; to buy front of the line passes, you need to select a specific date for using them (which makes sense; Universal can only have so many people "at the front of the line" on any given day).

However, the system on their site won't let one select any date between June 14th and September 3rd. Does that mean these passes aren't available during the summer?

Hi! I don't have an answer to your question (sorry!) but I wanted to add a question of my own! Can you buy these front of the line passes at Universal or do they have to be purchased ahead of time only?

Thanks!

I believe they are almost $80 and they are limited in number, so you are better off getting them early.

Thanks for the replies to this point - the Universal Hollywood site does state the number of these tickets per day sold is limited, and yes, they are comparatively expensive.

But back to my original question: are these available for visits during the summer? Nowhere on the Universal site does it specifically say they aren't. One only runs into that if you try to purchase them for use during that season (again, the online purchase system has all dates between June 14 and September 3rd "blacked out."

What makes that all the more confusing is what the site says when it gives the details for the "front of the line" tickets. To quote:

"Each day Universal Studios provides a limited number of guests the opportunity to go to the front of the line!

The Pass gives you all-day admission to Universal Studios Hollywood, PLUS priority entry privileges for an entire day on all of Universal's exciting attractions (Limited to 2 times per attraction):

- Backdraft
- Back to the Future...The Ride
- The Studio Tour
- Jurassic Park - The Ride
- Terminator 2:3D
- Special Effects Stages

You will also receive reserve-seating privileges at all of Universal's most popular shows (Priority seating limited to 1 time per show):

- Animal Planet Live!(tm)
- Waterworld - A Live Sea War Spectacular
- Spider-Man Rocks!(sm)

Plus: You will also receive special behind-the-scenes privileges and will be able to meet the actors at these popular shows. (Seasonal availability:
Behind-the-scenes privileges will not be available April 12-27, June 14 - September 1, and December 26-31, 2003.)

Each day Universal Studios Hollywood offers only a limited number of Front of the Line Passes. To ensure your spot at the Front of the Line, buy your Pass now!"

Note that the above says that one particular component of the front of the line benefits (the "behind the scenes" privilege) isn't available June 14 - September 1st, but NOT that the entire package isn't avaliable. If the whole summer was "blacked-out," this descripton presumably would have mentioned that.

The only reason I'm asking here is it appears that Universal only sells tickets online and at the gate (and as an advance planner, I'm not going to wait until we arrive that morning to try and get these). No telephone number seems to be listed anywhere for tickets (all the numbers on their site lead you other areas).

Can you buy these front of the line passes at Universal or do they have to be purchased ahead of time only?

Yes, you can buy them at the gate :D

Ooops - my error - I subsequently discovered that if your scroll down on the ticket order pages for Universal, there is a seperate box for orders for "front of the line - Summer."

The tickets are a little more expensive during that season, but you can order them in advance on line. You do have to pick a specific date. If anyone is planing on going to Universal during the summer and wants these tickets, I strongly recommend you buy them in advance, because the number sold per day is limited, and during high season they do often sell out in advance.

We used these tickets last week. I personally found them to be a waste of money. The park appeared to be very busy with Spring break/Easter crowds but the maximum wait times at the attractions was 15 minutes. They actually have very few attractions and we could have managed perfectly well without them JMHO.
Tracy

>>We used these tickets last week. I personally found them to be a waste of money. The park appeared to be very busy with Spring break/Easter crowds but the maximum wait times at the attractions was 15 minutes. They actually have very few attractions and we could have managed perfectly well without them JMHO<<

Thanks Tracy, albeit I suspect what you experienced in terms of crowds is different than what we will see in August.

First, I've read that typical "Spring Break" crowds at Universal are moderate, not huge, and that would be especially true this year given the huge war/economy-related drop in tourism (what you probably saw during your visit was mostly locals). If things pick up betwen now and when we visit in August, I suspect we'll be glad we got the tickets.

You might be right but going from my experience at WDW and USF the crowds at Easter have FAR exceeded the crowds in August. We have been three times at Easter and twice in August and the Easter crowds have been double the crowds at the end of August. I know that the most busy times at WDW are Christmas and Easter. The same may not apply at Disneyland/ USH.
Tracy

>>You might be right but going from my experience at WDW and USF the crowds at Easter have FAR exceeded the crowds in August. We have been three times at Easter and twice in August and the Easter crowds have been double the crowds at the end of August. <<

Thanks Tracy; you clearly know the market for those parks. However, we are going in mid August, not late in the month. It may be different in California than in Florida, but at the latter, the parks are quite busy until the beginning of third week in August, when things drop somewhat (and then briefly "bump up again" over the Labor Day weekend before quieting down dramatically in September).

>>I know that the most busy times at WDW are Christmas and Easter. The same may not apply at Disneyland/ USH.<<

Two points: Yes, the "busiest" times at WDW are Christmas and Spring vacation/Easter, but the early to late February school vacation period is right behind both and the summer (June through the third week in August) isn't that much better.

Secondly, while I've read that the holiday periods are busy at Disneyland and Universal, none of the guides that mentioned that described the summer as "quieter," and state those visting either park in June through August should expect large crowds. Also, Universal raises the prices for "Front of the Line" tickets during the summer, which implies that is a high demand season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter