United Airlines - fiasco***UPDATE***

My tix costs - incl fees - $220

subtract $100 for the change fee and that leaves a balance of $120 to apply to the cost of the new tix.

Currently the new tix would be apx $500 which means I would deduct the $120 from that and pay an additional $380 for each tix.

I'm waiting til the last minute to make the change hoping prices come down - I will post an update to let everyone know how it turns out.

Originally posted by glewis1123
My tix costs - incl fees - $220

subtract $100 for the change fee and that leaves a balance of $120 to apply to the cost of the new tix.

Currently the new tix would be apx $500 which means I would deduct the $120 from that and pay an additional $380 for each tix.

I'm waiting til the last minute to make the change hoping prices come down - I will post an update to let everyone know how it turns out.

If you had to pay an additional $380 per ticket why don't you just call it lesson learned and book the ticket on the other airlines that quoted you prices of $220.

If you had to pay an additional $380 per ticket why don't you just call it lesson learned and book the ticket on the other airlines that quoted you prices of $220.

That's exactly what I plan on doing - I don't have to make a decision til Monday and am hoping we'll be able to work something out with United - you know - miles - if not then I will definitely book elsewhere.

Not knowing the dates or preferred time for your trip, I pulled random dates and times out of the air and came up with the following options for you:

San Jose (SJC) to Orlando (MCO)

This option is the closest match for your date and time preferences. See options below for lower fares.

301.50 USD per person
Leg Flight info Date Depart Arrive
1 United Airlines 264 Jul 11 6:20 SJC 9:49 DEN
United Airlines 1132 Jul 11 10:20 DEN 15:34 MCO
2 United Airlines 1502 Jul 18 11:15 MCO 13:21 IAD
United Airlines 237 Jul 18 17:10 IAD 20:02 SJC

287.50 USD per person

Leg Flight info Date Depart Arrive
1 United Airlines 438 Jul 11 10:45 SJC 16:54 ORD
United Airlines 2114 Jul 11 18:15 ORD 21:08 CLT
United Airlines 2409 Jul 11 21:40 CLT 23:06 MCO
2 United Airlines 559 Jul 18 12:00 MCO 13:57 ORD
United Airlines 517 Jul 18 16:45 ORD 19:18 SJC

If you are a United Mileage Plus member, log into the United site. At that time you will have far more options available to you when picking out flight times and connections.

Hi

We're going 7-19th - 27th

I want to get the schedule we had for our May trip which left SJC at 620 and got into MCO at 340pm - all the other flights get in later - and coming home we had a direct flight to lax then home leaving mco at 1230 and home at 530 and those flights for our trip are over $500 as of this morning and the last few days.

Just playing the waiting game :D

We picked a date to travel in July and the United fares are $528 a ticket for the same flight schedule which means another $1280.00 respectively.
1. When you rebook a nonrefindable ticket on the major US airlines, you are always responsible for any fare difference — but you may be able to minimize the fare difference my picking your replacement flights carefully.

2. Consider different dates in July.

3. Consider flying into Tampa instead of Orlando. It's a longer drive to WDW than from Orlando International, but you might be able to save a lot of money if there's still heavily discounted seat inventory available into Tampa, even though it's sold out into Orlando.

4. The airlines are now inflexible about waiving change fees on an individual basis — but you might be able to benefit from United's revised travel policy due to the military conflict with Iraq, which is available to passengers who qualify on the basis of when they purchased their tickets and when they were scheduled to travel.

Good luck!

As someone mentione before, April 19th was the cutoff for changing dure to miliatary action. From the United website:
To be eligible for this offer, originating travel must fall within the qualifying travel dates and to postpone travel, customers will need to contact United or their travel professional prior to their originally scheduled departure or April 19, 2003, whichever comes first. One change per ticket will be allowed under this waiver.

so that won't work

Don't forget that you have to rebook beofre your original flights or you lose the money!!!

I want to get the schedule we had for our May trip which left SJC at 620 and got into MCO at 340pm - all the other flights get in later - and coming home we had a direct flight to lax then home leaving mco at 1230 and home at 530 and those flights for our trip are over $500 as of this morning and the last few days.

I can understand wanting to get these flight times, and they may go down in price, BUT, July is a more popular time, and it's possible they may not go down. Have you checked to see how full the flights are?

Another option to consider is flying in the day before, but on a later flight. With as many people as you have, you could save a ton of money! Stay at an airport hotel (try Priceline) for one night before going down to Disney.

I can understand wanting to get these flight times, and they may go down in price, BUT, July is a more popular time, and it's possible they may not go down. Have you checked to see how full the flights are?

All but one leg of the return flight are booked at a approimate 50 - 60% vacancy. There are other options for the return flight but only with an apx $40 difference.

Another option to consider is flying in the day before, but on a later flight. With as many people as you have, you could save a ton of money! Stay at an airport hotel (try Priceline) for one night before going down to Disney.

In order to lessen the cost I'd have to return on an 815am flight - that means leaving the hotel apx between 530 - 600 AM - :(

I've also looked at taking a redeye out the night before on our way down to MCO getting there at 6AM - that will help cut the cost and then taking a 6pm flight out on our departure day as well as other combinations - but as yet - it still won't make the difference from totally cancelling United and then rebooking with another airlines.

I'd have to get tix with an apx total price of $375 less $120 (credit balance after deducting the $100 penalty fee) to make it worth it to stay with United

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!

I have not checked this, but could you fly out of Oakland. I know when we used to fly to SJC on business Oakland was sometimes cheaper.

I've checked SFO but totally forgot about Oakland - good idea!!!!

Thank You!!!!!

We have family driving us up and SFO/Oakland are about an hour drive - so not to bad - SJC is about 15 min.

About a year and a half ago, my wife needed to go into a special eating disorder hospital. Unfortunately, they only had room in the Florida location, so we had to book a plane ticket quickly. They said she would be in for 4 weeks, so we booked the return trip 5 weeks later. Unfortunately, they decided she needed to remain 2 more weeks, and she could not return on the date she was scheduled. I spoke to Delta, customer service, supervisors, everyone but the president. They were very understanding, but would do nothing to get her home without paying the penalty and the difference in airfare. With the penalty it would have cost $200.00 to get her home. We booked a new ticket for $125.00. My only gripe is that when you have to buy tickets in a hurry....and it is a medical situation I feel they could be a little more understanding. I guess the problem is they are hemmoraging money, and really need every buck they can get....as far as buying airline tickets to vacation with...we always buy non-refundable ones....you take a chance but save a lot of money.....just think they can be a little more understanding. Just my opinion of course.....Tom

Hi Glenda:

How did you pay for your original tickets? If you used a gold or platinum credit card with travel protection, you should be able to get your money back. A serious car accident for an immediate member of the family would qualify.

***** A HAPPY ENDING TO THE FIASCO********

I called United first thing this morning - had to midnight today to make the changes.

After speaking with the agent who answered the phone and not getting anywhere after a very polite conversation explaining our situation I asked to speak with a Supervisor.

The Supervisor - Yvonne - was absolutely wonderful. I explained our situation and she asked if we had proof about my stepsons hospitalization and I said we did and she no problem. Then she said the best price she could get us for the dates we were traveling July 19 - 26 - was $425.00. I then explained about the other fairs from American, Americawest etc being between $250 - $286 and asked if there wasn't something that she could do. I also explained to her that we were going to need to purchase 2 additional tickets for my nephews to come - who have never been to WDW (I'm excited about being able to take them). She then asked if I would be willing to take a Redeye out on the 19th (my dh and I had already discussed doing this but on the 18th as a second option) so I said we would do so but do the redeye on the 18th. No problem - we even got a return trip out of MCO at noon on the 26th - perfect.

THE BEST PART - only charge we had to pay for the original tickets was the $102 per ticket change fee AND SHE SOLD US THE 2 TICKETS FOR MY NEPHEWS AT THE SAME PRICE I PAID BACK IN JANUARY OF $177 + TAXES/FEES.

I WAS IN TOTAL SHOCK -

THERE WAS TRULY MAGICAL PIXIE DUST EVERYWHERE FOR ME THIS MORNING!!!!!

Woo-Hoo! Glenda - good for you! I'm glad it all worked out! DH & I have done the red-eye - you'll be fine (you run on adrenaline that first day anyway!) I feel like I worked hard for our flights to Orlando in July - but not what you had to do to change your trip!

Glenda, congrats. That is trully wounderful. Have a great tirp.

Scott

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter