Uniquely Canadian Food

Cdn Gal

DIS Veteran
We want to share a taste of Canada with our American friends next Christmas. Ideally we would let them taste real poutine, but I don't think that the timeshare would like it if we brought down our own fryer and set it up on the lawn. I would bring down our own curds and gravy as well but they don't cook the dries twice down here so you get that extra crunch. Anyway, we are looking for some uniquely Canadian food to share and perhaps a meal to cook for them since they made us dinner last year. So far, we have shared Native Smoked Salmon and maple cookies with them. They also don't know what I am talking about when I mention Broccoli Salad. I was also thinking a Tortierre, but... I'm not sure, after all it's bbq season down there too. Any other ideas??

To clarify.... where is the event held? Which side of the border? Which city? There may be local stuff you can get.

Pemmican? I suppose that may be more of a Native American thing.

Ketchup potato chips
All dressed chips, for that matter.

Poutine, I suppose you could make an adjustment. Bring the curds, make the gravy, send someone out to buy some fresh cut fries. This should work, unless you're looking for chunky fries. Probably harder to find those.

I made poutine for friends. I had everything ready. The resort sold fries at the restaurant on site. Hubby ran and got them. I put them on the baking sheet. Covered in cheese curds and hot gravy. Threw in oven very quickly.....
Hardest part was the curds. We drive 6 hours too airport. Then fly. I froze them. Put in cooler bag with ice. Put in fridge at park and fly. Then in my suitcase chevked in front pocket with a partially froze bottle of water.
They loved it.

I have been known to bring Naniamo Bar kits for American friends, that way they can make them themselves and they are fresh :)

You can bring them Smarties, Coffee Crips, Ketchup chips, Maple leaf cookies, maple syrup (don't know if it's easy to find for you, I'm in Quebec so it's in pretty much every store :tongue:). We also have mini cones filled with maple sugar and taffee that are just amazing. These are the "specialties" we bring to our American friends :)

If you are close to either a Sobeys or Foodland grocery store they have an entire line of Canadian products right now that you might want to pick up! There are cookies (taste pretty bizzarre but cute)There are some frozen items as well but won't travel south!
images

I've also noticed M & Ms in red & white, some cereals with special boxes ... not sure if they're all products you can't find stateside but the CDN connection is pretty clear!

OH ... just found these ! Not sure if you can find them anywhere other than Swiss Chalet but .. definitely CDN
upload_2017-5-19_15-53-53.png

It will be held next Christmas at our timeshare, Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

Last edited:
Fantastic ideas!!!! Keep them coming!! :) Love the Naniamo Bar idea! Yes we were thinking of bringing down Peameal bacon to let them try. I'm not sure where I could purchase Pemmican... we were also thinking about Fried Bread? But perhaps we should have them all over for breakfast.

Fantastic ideas!!!! Keep them coming!! :) Love the Naniamo Bar idea! Yes we were thinking of bringing down Peameal bacon to let them try. I'm not sure where I could purchase Pemmican... we were also thinking about Fried Bread? But perhaps we should have them all over for breakfast.
I don't think you'll be able to take down peameal bacon but you can probably buy back bacon in the US grocery stores.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter