underwater cameras

days-going-so-slow!!

Mouseketeer
Can anyone who has used an underwater camera at Castaway Cay PLEASE tell me which is best. I am buying the film this weekend and I want to make sure we get great underwater pictures while snorkling etc. Thanks!!!! Kelley:crazy:

We used a Kodack max and the pictures turned out well. The quality of the pictures depends on how close you are to your subject and also if it is a sunny day. Our best pictures were on a day when there wasn't a cloud in the sky and we weren't too deep in the water. WE have also used fuji before and had success but they are a little pickier with need for more sunlight IMO. Good luck and have fun!

I was just gonna ask the same question. May I add one more? Where is the best place to buy these? Is there an online site that would have the best price?

minnie's right, the disposables work best on sunny days and you get the best colors with closer shots.

karebear1 - Sam's, Walmart, Target, Meijer, K-Mart. Not sure about online. The last one we got for DD to use was from Walmart.
Just a thought, we've got a Canon 35mm Underwater camera also. And the pictures don't turn out any better if the conditions aren't right.

I have always had good luck with the Fuji disposable underwater cameras, and you can get those at walmart for around 7.50 for 27 exposure.

Many months ago there was a thread on this subject. Several people had purchased underwater cameras that were NOT disposable and had a flash. They even posted some of the pic's and they were fantastic!! I have given up on trying to take pic's underwater - none have come out very good. I have used Fuji and Kodak and the results are similar. I will take one of these cameras on our next cruise for pictures while at the beach and playing in the water - because I don't want to hurt my "real" camera.

something to consider.kodak film emphasizes greens and blues
while fuji tends to emphasize the reds . so if your goingto do underwater the pictures will be more true to life with kodak. on the other hand if your are shooting fall foliage then fuji is better

balbrec:cool:

Balbrec, I thought it was just the opposite? Fuji for the blues and greens? Where can we check for sure?

I just read it on a search I did- it is Fuji for greens and blues.

i have to say, i have used both kodak and fugi, and i won't go back to kodak again. The colors of blue and green are much better with the fugi cameras, and i have snorkeled all over and had very good results. Just my two cents...

You don't have to go down too far before color disappears in water (about 5-10 feet). If you have an underwater camera with a flash, the flash will bring back the color. If you use the disposable cameras, shallow pictures will turn out great in clear water. I've used both and only notice a difference below about 5 feet.

Sue L

Is it? I thought it was reusable, and that it just came preloaded with 35mm film? Darn

We have the flash one from Target that is re-useable...I think it was $20 including a roll of film. I was happy with the results we got from it on vacation last summer, although we didn't put it to any great tests; however, the underwater pics were clear and the flash seemed to add a little illumination. Besides underwater use, the advantage is that for relatively few $, you have a camera that is protected from splashes and sand around water, and can almost certainly be used more times than the comparable cost in disposables (don't the underwater ones run about $10?). We are keeping ours in a ziploc bag, because if the plastic case gets scratched in front of the lens, that blurring will always show up on your photos. For casual photographers on a wet vacation, this seems like a good choice!

hey what do i know. use both and decide for yourself which is better for the different colors

balbrec:smooth:

We will be using a digital in an underwater box. The box was about $40. We've tried it at the pool and are anxious to see how it does on the cruise.

I have tried using a camera that wasn't disposable for taking underwater photos. I personally don't like them, as you have to get out of the water to change the film, and i don't like that when i am far out snorkeling...

Originally posted by musicgirl
We will be using a digital in an underwater box. The box was about $40. We've tried it at the pool and are anxious to see how it does on the cruise.

Where can you buy one of these?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter