Un-Sold Out

Chrisizzle

Mouseketeer
Is it just me or do race registrations go from Sold Out to available to Sold Out and back again?

We did the 2019 January 10K on a (relative) whim by signing up in October. This year, I recall it being sold out super early and thinking how much more popular this year must be. But then you could register again... and then sold out again.

Last week, I would swear I saw EVERYTHING being Sold Out (from 5K to Dopey Challenge).

Today I see the Donald Duck medal reveal video on Instagram along with the call-to-action to register. I was like “poor people don’t know it sold out”. I check RunDisney and you can register for the half-marathon and up.

Considering RunDisney registrations are “non-refundable and non-transferable”, these are not cancelations returning to the pool. Where are these extra spots coming from?

If Disney knows registrations may become available, I’m surprised they don’t supplement the Sold Out message with a ‘check again later’. Some people will see Sold Out and never check again.

Is it just me or do race registrations go from Sold Out to available to Sold Out and back again?

We did the 2019 January 10K on a (relative) whim by signing up in October. This year, I recall it being sold out super early and thinking how much more popular this year must be. But then you could register again... and then sold out again.

Last week, I would swear I saw EVERYTHING being Sold Out (from 5K to Dopey Challenge).

Today I see the Donald Duck medal reveal video on Instagram along with the call-to-action to register. I was like “poor people don’t know it sold out”. I check RunDisney and you can register for the half-marathon and up.

Considering RunDisney registrations are “non-refundable and non-transferable”, these are not cancelations returning to the pool. Where are these extra spots coming from?

If Disney knows registrations may become available, I’m surprised they don’t supplement the Sold Out message with a ‘check again later’. Some people will see Sold Out and never check again.

I don't think the half, full or challenges have shown as sold out at any point for next year's Marathon Weekend.

I don't think the half, full or challenges have shown as sold out at any point for next year's Marathon Weekend.

The reason I am pretty sure they were sold out is because I wanted to convince a friend to join us. I stopped trying because the event was sold out anyway. Maybe I am flipping between realities or otherwise losing it.

I also don’t know where I read this, but I recall seeing something Sold Out and RunDisney encouraged people to register via their charity partners. Perhaps to answer my original question, I wonder if RunDisney gives registrations to charities but then takes them back if they aren’t redeemed by a certain date.

There have been times in the past when they have re-opened sold out spots, but there have been announcements on social media that indicate this is happening.

As far as I've seen, only the 5k and 10k are/have been sold out.

I believe when you see spots open up later in the year, it is Disney breaking up Goofy and Dopey registrations.
Since the introduction of the 10K in runDisney, the two shortest distances tend to go the fastest. Because they're far less time consuming both in training and on race day, they're presumably more popular to new runners or people who don't really want to spend a major portion of a vacation day running.

And when the challenges don't sell out, they have broken those up to release more spots for the shorter distances. That has also happened on race weekends where the challenge is the 10K/Half.

Travel Agents booking packages through Disney Sports still have availability for all the races if you're willing to book a package (ie. minimum two-night hotel stay, minimum two-day park ticket), so when you see some of these races become open again for a limited time it's either bibs being returned by charities before one of the benchmark fundraising dates or they're releasing TA availability to the general public. Half/Full/Goofy/Dopey have yet to hit sold out. The 10K was open briefly about a month ago.

As far as I've seen, only the 5k and 10k are/have been sold out.

I believe when you see spots open up later in the year, it is Disney breaking up Goofy and Dopey registrations.
Never thought of this but it makes a lot of sense.

ugh, I wish there was a way to get email notifications from RunDisney for when they do that. I have a friend who really wants to join me for Wine and Dine 1/2.

If anyone is interested in running either the 10K or the Challenge for Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend, The American Cancer Society has bibs! We are working with people on fundraising minimums and deadlines, since we are getting close to race weekend. Email: jenna.leinwohl@cancer.org, if you're interested :)

If anyone is interested in running either the 10K or the Challenge for Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend, The American Cancer Society has bibs! We are working with people on fundraising minimums and deadlines, since we are getting close to race weekend. Email: jenna.leinwohl@cancer.org, if you're interested :)

Ooooh. I may have an interested party.

Can you post the fundraising expectations here for the Wine & Dine Challenge?
Or should I make contact by email?

Ooooh. I may have an interested party.

Can you post the fundraising expectations here for the Wine & Dine Challenge?
Or should I make contact by email?

Awesome! You can see a full list of minimums and benefits on our website, but it's not letting me post the link here. If you google American Cancer Society Disney Wine & Dine, you will find the full site :)

Fundraising minimums are as follows:
Fundraising Requirements:
5K:
$750 (SOLD OUT)
10K: $1,000
Half Marathon: $1,500 (SOLD OUT)
Challenge (10K & Half Marathon): $2,000

The standard deadline is October 17th, but as I mentioned, we can work with you/your friend on the fundraising amount and deadline since we are getting close to race weekend, so we can make special changes from what's written on the website/here. Feel free to email me: jenna.leinwohl@cancer.org

Do you already have an entry? If anyone is looking to make their miles more meaningful, everyone is welcome to join the American Cancer Society's Team DetermiNation. Email: jenna.leinwohl@cancer.org, if you're interested :) As a member of our team you will have special access to our ACS Finish Line tent, a American Cancer Society Singlet to represent on race day, Training resources, Your own personal fundraising coach, and customizable fundraising website with the functionality to link a Facebook Fundraiser straight from your dashboard. More benefits are available to anyone who raises 250+

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!