UK (or EU or anywhere else) DVC owners - any advice?

Discussion in 'UK DVC Discussion' started by disneyholic family, Aug 11, 2018.

1. disneyholic family

disneyholic family disney on my mind....

so we took the plunge...
    we're in the process of purchasing DVC....

after doing those tours probably a hundred times, we finally pulled the trigger..

no doubt i never would have, but my son convinced us...

i think the whole thing came about as a diversion from my medical treatments (i was diagnosed in december with metastatic TNBC).

so you overseas DVC veterans, any advice?

Thanks in advance!!

2. zavandor

zavandor DIS Veteran

I have opened a checking account with Suntrust. They have a branch 5 minutes from Disney Springs. I have set up the MF to be paid monthly from this account, so they don't hit in January all togheter. Also, when in a month I save some extra money I make a transfer to my US account, so I spread the payments over time and when I go to Orlando most of my expenses are already paid off and I have just to think to enjoy myself. The actual transfer is done using Paypal or TransferWise (but they charge $15 for a bank transfer). If you keep a minimum balance ($500 or $700, I don't remember) it's completely free.
    And for the rest, pixie dust incoming your way! pixiedust:

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. disneyholic family

do you have to pay the maintenance fees from an american account?
    can't i transfer money from my foreign account once a year?

5. disneyholic family

oh wait - i just checked online - i can pay my dues using a credit card....
    that seems the easiest....and i can even earn points :)

6. zavandor

zavandor DIS Veteran

Sure you can. Be sure to use a credit card that doesn't charge extra fees for purchases jn another currency.

7. disneyholic family

right - we have a card that automatically hits our bank account. As long as we have dollars in the account, if the charge is in dollars there is no fee as there is no exchange.
    The same is true for euros (but i don't have euros in my account, so if i stupidly charge in euros, i'm charged the exchange fee and the unfavorable exchange rate).

8. saintrob

saintrob DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your purchase.

Which resort have you chosen? The main advice is always........own at the resort where you want to stay at the most. I ignored that as we were offered such a great deal when on board a Disney cruise! We purchased at AKL and have only stayed there once on points (as they are the only DVC resort to have club level available for points) I've never had a problem in booking any other resort at 7 months, even over the Christmas period.

We've used out points at BLT, BWV, BC and the Poly. We've even used them at the Disneyland hotel in California.

I pay our maintainance once a year on credit card so that I can get the airmiles.

9. disneyholic family

we bought at SSR as we're more than happy to stay there every time.
    We'll try for other resorts as well, but it's not a dealbreaker for us, as we enjoy SSR.

actually i shouldn't say "we bought" - we're in the process of buying. Waiting for disney to either exercise ROFR or waive. here's hoping it's the latter. :)

saintrob likes this.