UK brides - extra luggage cost?

ChocolateMouse

For the love of the mouse... and chocolate!
How many brides who fly to Orlando can fit all their belongings into just one suitcase? I hope all other airlines don't follow this lead.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/02/08/ba.excessbags/index.html

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Passengers flying with British Airways could face an additional cost of $470 if they choose to take an extra bag with them on a return flight.

The airline has announced that from February 13, 2007 the cost of checking in an extra bag on a one-way long-haul flight will be $235 (£120). Short-haul travelers will face a $118 (£60) per bag fee, while those taking UK domestic flights will have to fork out $90 (£42) for each additional case.

Passengers completing flights with the airline before September 30, 2007 can receive 30 percent off these fees by paying for them in advance through the company's Web site.

However, passengers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge.

Even if travelers in economy check-in two pieces of luggage below the weight allowance they will still have to pay for the second bag.

"This raises serious issues for older travelers," a spokesman for Help the Aged told the Daily Telegraph.

"For many older people it is important that they can travel independently. But many will not be able to manage one bag."

BA said passengers who had difficulty carrying a single bag would be allowed to check-in more than one case providing the overall weight was under 23 kg.

BA's changes follow similar steps taken by budget airlines. Last year Ryanair introduced charges for check-in luggage to cut costs and speed up the check-in process.

As Europe's third largest carrier, British Airways has claimed that the new luggage rules are part of a simpler policy to fit in with its vision for "the best airport experience" when the carrier moves to Heathrow's new Terminal 5 next year.

According to the Daily Telegraph, BA confirmed that its sales staff were instructed not to tell customers in advance when they booked their tickets.

A BA spokesman told the paper: "They will tell people if they ask about baggage policy. But it is on our Web site."

I'm fairly sure they've exempted flights from UK to USA and Canada - so it should be ok! That's what the BBC said earlier today anyway - hope they're right!

Miranda

Luckily, First Choice gave us a free 10 kg wedding luggage allowance or we would have really struggled, as for bag limitations, its just crazy.

we specifically booked with Virgin as they offer 2 pieces at 23kg per person, so I figured we should be able to fit everything into 4 cases. I really hope they don't change anything before we go or we'll be struggling and I don't want to add any further unexpected expense.

Do you get extra allowance for Weddings? My fiance and I only intended to tkae one large suitcase between us, but I kinda hoped to carry on my wedding dress, would I also be allowed to carry on his suit?

Virgin don't give any extra allowance for weddings, the 2 x 23kg per person is standard for economy passengers. I don't know about carry-ons, I thought it was still 6kg and could fit in the 'cage' guide (is it 56cm x 23cm????) not sure if they will allow anything else - phone them?

I used to work for virgin and they will not allow you to carry your dress on board unless its in the size of hand luggage they allow.

I know of this website that does boxes that are the same size as hand luggage that are made for flights here is the link

http://www.emptybox.co.uk/products_travel.asp

they are very resonable and worth a look so you know you dont have to put the dress in the hold which is the only other option

I took my dress as my carry-on on the way down. We're allowed 2 suitcases each out of Buffalo (and I'd imagine its the same out of Toronto). So I packed DH's suitcases half full (boys never have that much stuff anyways).

My 2 pieces were the little rollybag (that's meant to be a carry on), which I packed full of water and checked. And one other suitcase that wasn't entirely full.

My dress fit in the overhead compartment fine on the first plane, and they hung it up in the closet on the second plane. (The closet in the first plane was full of the first class passenger's coats so there was no room for my dress).

I had planned to pack my dress in the big suitcase on the way home, but my mom and dad offered to take it for me. Turns out we would have had a hard time packing everything if they hadn't.

I'd say really pack light if you can. I hadn't planned on the gifts that people bought for us while we were down there, which took up a lot of extra room.

summer - if you look st the website i quoted they do boxes for your wedding dress

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter