Uber with a car seat?

LisaRay

DIS Veteran
In the past we have enjoyed taking an occasional Uber to or from dinner at resorts but this time we will have a two and a half year old with us. Do they have Ubers with car seats or is that unheard of or impossible to find?

They do. It’s an option on the app. It may not show it if you test it out in your area as they only do it certain places, but if you plug in your Disney destinations it’ll show car seat option.

In the past we have enjoyed taking an occasional Uber to or from dinner at resorts but this time we will have a two and a half year old with us. Do they have Ubers with car seats or is that unheard of or impossible to find?
Also, another option at WDW is minnie vans. I know they're making a comeback as new signage has debuted around some fo the parks and also in the Lyft app but nobody knows when yet. They're a great, disney service with car seats and cast members but they can be pricey. I imagine when they come back they'll be higher priced than before.

Why? Is it not that reliable? What would be a better option? We are planning on going this spring with a 2 (will be close to 3) and 5 year old.
It is reliable. Very. I have not once had an issue out of the dozens of times I have used it for car seat transportation. It is more reliable than Disney Bus. It is more reliable than Minnie Vans. It is the most reliable type of transportation I have ever taken on Disney grounds.

I would advise against depending on it being available. Have a backup plan.
What data are you going off of for it not being available? I literally just checked by going on the app and setting it up. What is the backup plan?

What data are you going off of for it not being available? I literally just checked by going on the app and setting it up. What is the backup plan?

I will just say we tired 3 seperate times back in January to get a Uber/Lyft and only ended up waiting for a ride 1 time. That was without even worrying about needing a car seat.

Hopefully it has gotten better but for me I won't count on it until I see it working way better in the future.

Also pre pandemic I traveled like 24 weeks of the year so it's not like I don't know how to uber/Lyft they just had a shortage or no one in area.

Why? Is it not that reliable? What would be a better option? We are planning on going this spring with a 2 (will be close to 3) and 5 year old.
Is there a way to request 2 car seats? I thought you could only request a lyft with 1 car seat

Is there a way to request 2 car seats? I thought you could only request a lyft with 1 car seat
Didn't even consider 2 car seats which we will need. I am thinking we will end up renting a car with car seats or bring ours on the plane

My understanding is that Lyft has no cars with car seats; Uber has cars with 1 car seat, but not 2 car seats.

I think all Joel was saying is that the service may or may not be available, so you should consider what you'll do if none are available when you need them.

Lyft never has offered car seat service, and my understanding is that Uber stopped adding car seat vehicles several years ago. There has been a lot of attrition in drivers, which further lessens the availability.

I don't know when your great experiences have been with car seat vehicles. If they are within the last few months, your experiences are good news. If they were several years ago, that's a different story.

I will just say we tired 3 seperate times back in January to get a Uber/Lyft and only ended up waiting for a ride 1 time. That was without even worrying about needing a car seat.

Hopefully it has gotten better but for me I won't count on it until I see it working way better in the future.

Also pre pandemic I traveled like 24 weeks of the year so it's not like I don't know how to uber/Lyft they just had a shortage or no one in area.
Ok. I concede that that is pretty good data. But I still stand behind the fact that we have never had an issue and I just checked for a third time if there was one available at Disney and there was. But your response still begs the question what is the backup plan?

I think all Joel was saying is that the service may or may not be available, so you should consider what you'll do if none are available when you need them.

Lyft never has offered car seat service, and my understanding is that Uber stopped adding car seat vehicles several years ago. There has been a lot of attrition in drivers, which further lessens the availability.

I don't know when your great experiences have been with car seat vehicles. If they are within the last few months, your experiences are good news. If they were several years ago, that's a different story.
I love when people say “my understanding” because it means that they don’t know. I’m sorry to be so curt but it is a disservice to give the original poster disinformation.

They did not stop car seat service. I have been using it consistently over the years. I checked for availability 3 times in the last 24 hours. Cars were available. Last time we used it was 3 days ago in Austin. Last time at Disney was December 2019.

Let’s sum up the helpful info for the original poster:

-Yes there are car seat Ubers.
-Be proactive in planning for your car.
-Look into the return of Minnie Vans.
-There are regulation car seats that are small enough to put in a backpack.

Last edited:
Maybe the uber car seat thing is regional but there are car seat Ubers available around Orlando/WDW, just open the app and check it. They're there. I don't see an option for an uber with more than one seat.

I love when people say “my understanding” because it means that they don’t know. I’m sorry to be so curt but it is a disservice to give the original poster disinformation.
LOL

They did not stop car seat service.
I didn't say they had stopped car seat service. They have not.

I said it was my understanding -- from drivers in the Orlando market including Joel and others -- that Uber stopped enrolling new car seat vehicles a few years ago...and that would reduce availability.
I have been using it consistently over the years. I checked for availability 3 times in the last 24 hours. Cars were available.
If you checked it with an Orlando area pickup and it showed the car seat X and car seat XL prices, that doesn't mean there is a car readily available. It just means they are still offering that option...which we already knew.

You wouldn't know whether one was really available, and what the wait time might be, unless you actually ordered the ride.

If you checked availability for a pickup anywhere other than Orlando, it's irrelevant.
Last time we used it was 3 days ago in Austin.
Great. But that is irrelevant to OP's ability to use it in Orlando.
Last time at Disney was December 2019.
So a year and a half ago, pre-Covid. Thanks for the clarification, lol.

If the five year old is big enough to use a booster, according to your own feelings as a parent and the laws of the state of Florida, you could use a BubbleBum and need only one car seat. The BubbleBum is a blow up booster seat that has the requisite certifications to be used on US roads. I used this for my five year old on our last vacation in TX. Uber car seat is still around but there aren't nearly as many of them as there were before. If Minnie Vans are back in the same way they were before, it would be usable but expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter