Uber or Lyft or rental car

Tygerlilly

DIS Veteran
We're driving down to Orlando in October for a big family get together. We're staying in a big house right near Disney property (emerald island). My 23 year old step son and his girlfriend will be flying in a day after we get there.

Any idea how much uber or lyft would be from mco to the general area around downtown disney? We're debating on if we want to rely on uber/lyft for them for the week or rent them a car for $250 for the week.

You can do an estimated fare on both Uber and Lyft.

When my sister and here friend did Lyft from MCO to POP, it ended up costing them around $38 plus a tip. So I would assume it would be around that price point.

You can do an estimated fare on both Uber and Lyft.

When my sister and here friend did Lyft from MCO to POP, it ended up costing them around $38 plus a tip. So I would assume it would be around that price point.

Which is about what a regular taxi is, last I checked.

We just did Lyft to Universal area, so price will be different, but it was $25. We had a code for $5 off and gave a $5 tip, so ended up $25. On the way back it was slightly cheaper, so I guess time of day makes a difference. Using code 50twitter gives you $5 off first 10 rides or something like that. Though, I think it expires after awhile, so don't add it too early. Also, I just noticed after we got back that my SPG account had a code for $20 off an uber ride. So, if you have a SPG account check for that, or I am sure there are other codes out there if you look.

Uber/Lyft. Go to their websites to estimate fares. Google for the best codes to use if they're opening new accounts for discounts.

Lol because I used the same site. I typed in MCO to Magic Kingdom Park. Estimate $78. https://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando&from=mco&to=Magic+Kingdom+Park,+Lake+Buena+Vista,+FL,+United+States&toCoord=28.417663,-81.581212

Yours went to some random place outside Disney Springs labeling itself as Disney World Tickets (probably a hotel that sells tickets). WDW is a big place, obviously if you're not going deep into the park system like I assumed your ride share won't be $40.

OP, make sure to type in wherever they are staying to get accurate information for your needs. Lesson learned!

Something to know about Uber and Lyft is that they use peak pricing. If there are no cars available, Uber will automatically start increasing its rates in order to entice its drivers to get on the road. So a Friday night ride home from the bar might be more expensive than the same trip on a Wednesday afternoon. This is particularly problematic during big events or holidays like New Years Eve. MCO to Disney might not be very expensive when you plan, and much more expensive (or not) when you actually take your trip.

... is the toll fee included in the fare?

Notes

• Flat rate fees are not authorized from airport
    • New rates applied & fuel surcharges dropped as of 4/23/2012.
    • Tolls & surcharges may apply

Last edited:
No way. A regular taxi from MCO to WDW would run around $80...
Exactly. It would be about double what uber/lyft charges. Support the uber/lyft drivers. We took an uber from wyndham bonnet creek to a restaurant close to downtown Orlando and that was about $42. Taxi would have been about $80. They love gouging the tourists.

One thing that may swing your decision is the underage driver fee. Your stepson is under 25 and all the companies charge one. For example, just to add my 23 year old brother as a second driver to our current rental adds $140 because he's under 25. Just make sure you are calculating that into your car calculations. The daily fee varies from company to company, and there are a few ways around it but those companies had way higher prices overall.

One thing that may swing your decision is the underage driver fee. Your stepson is under 25 and all the companies charge one. For example, just to add my 23 year old brother as a second driver to our current rental adds $140 because he's under 25. Just make sure you are calculating that into your car calculations. The daily fee varies from company to company, and there are a few ways around it but those companies had way higher prices overall.

I actually just looked into that. I think since we will be there a week and going to different places the whole time, we are going to rent a car for us and let him drive ours. I think by the time we are done ubering everywhere we'll end up paying twice as much as renting one.

But maybe they can use it for the HHN so they can have a few drinks somewhere after getting scared. Lol.

Exactly. It would be about double what uber/lyft charges. Support the uber/lyft drivers. We took an uber from wyndham bonnet creek to a restaurant close to downtown Orlando and that was about $42. Taxi would have been about $80. They love gouging the tourists.

I won't take Uber any longer. Too many corporate scandals. From privacy to how they treat women. Their now-former CEO still makes a mint off the company as a shareholder, and he is the worst kind of DudeBro. Support Lyft instead.

Reactions: Ava
I won't take Uber any longer. Too many corporate scandals. From privacy to how they treat women. Their now-former CEO still makes a mint off the company as a shareholder, and he is the worst kind of DudeBro. Support Lyft instead.
Nothing wrong with lyft. We use them also when there are no uber drivers in the area. We never had any issues with uber. I would never take a taxi again.

I actually just looked into that. I think since we will be there a week and going to different places the whole time, we are going to rent a car for us and let him drive ours. I think by the time we are done ubering everywhere we'll end up paying twice as much as renting one.

But maybe they can use it for the HHN so they can have a few drinks somewhere after getting scared. Lol.
This makes sense, Uber/Lyft can certainly add up if you are making more than one or two trips. We usually rent a car and Uber/Lyft if we want to have a drink.

Do you guys have annual passes? If you plan on parking at the parks everyday, it is $20 a day to park if you don't have the passes. Uber or left would be cheaper and much less stress if you have to pay to park everyday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter