U.S to cut air marshals despite warnings

jjcollins

DIS Veteran
The Transportation Security Administration wants to reduce funding for air marshals even as the government is warning about the possibility al-Qaida may try more suicide hijackings.

The TSA is seeking approval from Congress to cut $104 million from the air marshal program to help offset a $900 million budget shortfall. It's unclear how many of the estimated several thousand air marshal jobs would be affected.

"When we are faced with more priorities than we have funding to support, we have to go through a process of trying to address the most urgent needs," TSA spokesman Robert Johnson said.

News of the air marshal program budget cutback comes as the Department of Homeland Security is warning of the possibility of hijackings and increasing screening of certain overseas passengers.

A TSA official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the agency sent a directive to U.S. airlines on Monday telling them to immediately begin more intensive screening of travelers flying out of a foreign airport into the United States, then connecting to another foreign destination.

Those affected are non-U.S. citizens who do not have U.S. visas. They previously have been allowed to stay in secure areas while passing through U.S. airports but have not been subjected to more intensive screening because they aren't staying in the country.

More info here
http://wire.jacksonville.com/pstories/20030730/1342123.shtml

jj..... :confused:

This was a no-go from the get-go. Went the same route as that idiot lottery for terrorists scheme. One does have to wonder who's running the insane asylum?

Steph, if you are talking about the scheme I think you are talking about, I cannot tell you how relieved I am to read this won't be happening.

Originally posted by Olaf
This was a no-go from the get-go. Went the same route as that idiot lottery for terrorists scheme. One does have to wonder who's running the insane asylum?

I'll tell you who is running the asylum: Dick Cheney, "Rummy" Rumsfeld, and Paul Wolfowitz, thats who, and may God have mercy on their souls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!