Typhoon Lagoon

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by ladync, Aug 12, 2018.

1. ladync

ladync Earning My Ears

Hi everyone. My kiddos (girl 8 and boy 6) have been watching youtube videos of Typhoon Lagoon for about a year now. I think there's a pretty high chance they want to go. Every time we go to Disney World it's usually during the summer months and we always skip the water parks. We went to Volcano Bay last year, but was not impressed by it. We are thinking about taking them during Thanksgiving week (nov. 18) to Typhoon Lagoon (as their Christmas surprise). What can we expect in terms of crowds/weather? We have decided that we're going to rent a umbrella just so we don't have to worry about getting there early. I would have to hear about other people's experiences here and if anyone has any suggestions about umbrella locations, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

2. DisneyWishes14

DisneyWishes14 DIS Veteran

I'm wondering what you didn't like about Volcano Bay? I'm only curious, because if you didn't like Volcano Bay, I'm not sure how you will feel about Typhoon Lagoon. I like the WDW water parks, but Volcano Bay blows them out of the water just in number of slides offered. Weather will be variable in November, so you may want to keep your plans flexible before you completely commit to going. I would keep your eyes on the weather forecast as the days approach to your planned TL day. While renting the umbrella may secure a place to sit, they have nothing like TapuTapus at TL (like Volcano Bay) and there is no FP+, so I would highly suggest getting there right at opening to get to the bigger slides before the lines start building.

GADisneyDad14 likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. hakepb

hakepb DIS Veteran

I guess it depends on the kid. I was all excited when we finally did waterparks, thinking my boys would love the slides .... but they prefer the wave pool and lazy river, so they love Typhoon Lagoon.
    (Although the TL waves are huge, and if the kids arenā€™t strong swimmers to stay in 5ā€™+ depth, those waves plus the gritty bottom are painful in 2-3ā€™ depth.)

5. ladync

ladync Earning My Ears

My kids were little so we had no interest in big slides (to be honest some of those rides looked scary to me). There was a small kids area but my little girl couldn't do it because she was too tall. The only thing we did were the lazy river and the wave pool.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    ILoveMyDVC likes this.
  6. Jadyreen1282

Jadyreen1282 DIS Veteran

We love both Disney Water Parks. Typhoon lagoon has many awesome slides plus it is Disney. However, Volcano Bay is also awesome so just remember thatTyphoon Lagoon comes with one thing that VB does not...Disney.

7. ILoveMyDVC

ILoveMyDVC DIS Veteran

Typhoon Lagoon is great for the little ones. Also, the pool kiddie area at Port Orleans is FANTASTIC for the <4 set.

8. x98bjv

x98bjv Earning My Ears

We took our 5 year old to Typhoon Lagoon and he wanted to spend most of the time in the lazy river because it was so cold to get out of the water. We went mid-November. Having said that, if you get warmer weather, it was dead and we walked onto everything.

9. DisneyWishes14

DisneyWishes14 DIS Veteran

Oh no! Yes, I can see in that case why you wouldn't like Volcano Bay. I went with a 9-year old daredevil, so completely different experience!

10. dprincessmom

dprincessmom dprincessmom

Crowd wise you will be awesome - very few people, weather is a toss up here in Florida, so I wouldn't mention it, or by the tickets in advance until you see how it shakes out. Typhoon Lagoon is great for the wave pool, we prefer Blizzard Beach for the different slides and lazy river. Recently I heard that you could "park hop" between the two on a one day pass, so we might try that next time we go.

11. Amelia :)

Amelia :) DIS Veteran

We have done Typhoon in November and it was sooo quiet!