Two Savi's Lightsaber questions

Sorcerer Jody

Mouseketeer
My two tweens and I will be traveling to Disneyland this summer. My son is a big Star Wars fan, and his uncle back home is an even bigger Star Wars fan! I am thinking about having my son build one for his uncle as a 50th birthday present. Two questions:

The Disneyland website says only one guest can accompany a lightsaber builder, but I don't want to leave my daughter on her own while I go in with my son. Will they let me bring my daughter in to watch, too?

Does it make sense for my son to build a lightsaber for someone else? For example, at the Wizarding World, it is supposed to be "the wand that chooses the wizard", so when my son was chosen for the wand ceremony several years ago, it wouldn't have made sense for him to give that wand to someone else, because it "chose" him. So in the lightsaber experience, would it make sense for my son to build it and give it to someone else? I don't want him to end up begging me to let him keep it for himself, ha ha! I don't have the money to build more than one - I just think it might be a special experience for my son and a special birthday gift for him to give to his uncle.

Thanks for any advice!

I asked a phone CM about the guests accompanying a month or so ago and they said it's still only one guest. BUT...I'm not sure if it's the same if your only option is leaving a child unattended, which you obviously can't do. You could always call and ask, or stop by Savi's a couple days before your reservation and ask. You would still have time to cancel if the answer is no.

I think it would be fine to have your son build it for his uncle. I don't think it's as personal as the wand. Maybe you could sneakily find out about favorite characters or colors before your son builds it. I think no matter what it looks like it will be an extra special gift since your son made it.

If your son wants to build a lightsaber for himself....they have a place to build them in Tomorrowland but they cost around $30. My dd did that on Star wars night. They light up and everything.
:)

You pick the element you want the lightsaber to represent and then you have various parts to choose from once you choose the element.

I think it is a great idea to have your son build a lightsaber as a gift for his uncle. Like an earlier poster said, you just choose the crystal to put in it and that determines what color it lights up. There is nothing in the presentation or the lore that says the lightsaber is special to the one who builds it or anything like that.

I was there approximately 13 months ago, during a more restricted covid time (still in masks, socially distant etc.) and I saw the exact same scenario you are asking about. A father who was there with two small boys, 3 and 7-8 maybe. So I think if you ask and say you have no other option, you will be accommodated.

Well, according to SW lore, the crystal color is determined by it's attunement to the Jedi who finds it. MOST lightsabers became blue or green, but of course there are other colors. So, I'd sheepishly ask the uncle which color saber he'd have if he were a Jedi. You know, like have your son watch an episode of Obi Wan Kenobi on Disney+, and kind of steer the conversation in that direction. That way, you can choose a color that he'd like/appreciate.

The only way to get a red crystal, in lore, was for a Sith to bend the crystal to his/her will, making it "bleed", hence the red color. Otherwise, the above applies, as the crystals are actually attuned to the light side naturally. Only by being bled, can you make it red.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but at least that's the "lore".

I think it's great that you want to build one for him. I definitely think he'd appreciate it. IF they let you go in with your daughter as well, make sure to take LOTS of pictures or shoot a video, so your son has a keepsake of the experience for himself.

Have fun, and May the Force Be With You!! Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

First off, if you are giving your brother a $220 gift for his birthday...can I be your brother? :).

Just thinking of a few options:
- I hope this doesn't come off as being rude, but why not pay for your son to built it for himself and get your Brother something else? If your Son is a fan then he would likely cherish the experience to build it AND keep it. In the Star Wars shops they have different Starfighter pilot helmets. It may not be something that would interest your Brother to actually wear, but I thought it was a cool mantle/shelf piece for a Man cave. Just an option for a gift. I think they ranges in price from about $60-$100.
- You could get your son to tell your brother that he'll be buying one of the lightsabers and he needs his uncle's help to pick the best options for it (you can find pictures online). Then make note of which ones your Brother likes. It may be extra special once your Brother finds out that the discussion was actually for him. Also, it would be a good gauge to see how interested your Brother would be in the lightsaber (i.e. if your Brother lights up and says your son is very luck to be building one and he wishes he had one).
- If they don't let you take in your daughter, and she is ok with it, I am sure there would be no problem with your daughter staying outside by herself. When I was there, there is like 4-6 cast members that check you in and stuff, and I'm sure you could ask them to keep an eye on her to ensure she is safe (although I am not sure if they leave once the session starts?), and there is like a little "waiting area" outside that she could stay in, so she wouldn't be standing in the walking path all by herself kind of thing. The thing takes about 20mins so she wouldn't be by herself for long.

Well, according to SW lore, the crystal color is determined by it's attunement to the Jedi who finds it. MOST lightsabers became blue or green, but of course there are other colors. So, I'd sheepishly ask the uncle which color saber he'd have if he were a Jedi. You know, like have your son watch an episode of Obi Wan Kenobi on Disney+, and kind of steer the conversation in that direction. That way, you can choose a color that he'd like/appreciate.

The only way to get a red crystal, in lore, was for a Sith to bend the crystal to his/her will, making it "bleed", hence the red color. Otherwise, the above applies, as the crystals are actually attuned to the light side naturally. Only by being bled, can you make it red.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but at least that's the "lore".

I think it's great that you want to build one for him. I definitely think he'd appreciate it. IF they let you go in with your daughter as well, make sure to take LOTS of pictures or shoot a video, so your son has a keepsake of the experience for himself.

Have fun, and May the Force Be With You!! Sorry, couldn't resist. :D
Thanks so much!!! That's really interesting!

First off, if you are giving your brother a $220 gift for his birthday...can I be your brother? :).
Ha ha! I know - it's NOT something I have ever done before, but this is for his 50th birthday, plus he is a special person to my son, plus my son would get a cool experience out of it, too! I am normally a very careful spender, but I have to say, once in Disneyland, sometimes we tend to get caught up in the magic and go a little crazy with spending, right?!

Depending on your CM at the experience, it's possible they MIGHT ask you questions about how/why the lightsaber pieces and or crystal were "meaningful" to you. But it's not super personal, beyond the general notion that building lightsabers is in and of itself a fairly personal task for someone to complete.

That said, I think it actually might be hard for your son to part with it. I don't know your son at all, but, as corny as this sounds, I actually do feel a "personal" kind of affection for the lightsaber that I built and it's easily my favorite bit of memorabilia that I own. It was a really fun experience and it does tend to make the participant really buy into the story being told.

Obviously, your son is going into this with his eyes open and hopefully is cool enough to understand how it's supposed to work. But don't be surprised if he forms an un-Jedi-like "attachment" to the saber.

Having the Uncle pick the theme of lightsaber will help make it less personal to your son and more like he's doing a favor for a relative.

:)

It's a pretty personal experience for a Star Wars mega fan. Part of what you are paying for is the whole ceremony with the cast members where they tell you about the special connection/bond between the saber and it's builder and even point out the that the Kyber Crystals may be choosing you. Basically the difference between having A lightsaber and having YOUR lightsaber.

I'm saying this as a Star Wars fan. There are some very nice legacy lightsabers, you could get one of your brothers favorite character for him. Or there are other nice things that are pretty unique to Disney parks like the helmets, holocron cubes, kyber crystals, etc.

I agree with the poster above, half the worth of the Savi's lightsaber is the ceremony and process of making your own personal lightsaber. I wouldn't want one made for me by someone else tbh, it would feel the same as your example of buying a wand at Ollivander's (Wizarding World) for someone else. Specially if he is a Star Wars fan too.

I agree with the prior post about considering buying a legacy lightsaber for the uncle. You could look into them and see, especially if your brother has a favorite character. I built my own lightsaber at Savi's and love it, but that's likely because I built it. The legacy lightsabers I have tie in more with my love of Star Wars and specific characters, and one could potentially mean more to your brother.

I agree with the prior post about considering buying a legacy lightsaber for the uncle. You could look into them and see, especially if your brother has a favorite character. I built my own lightsaber at Savi's and love it, but that's likely because I built it. The legacy lightsabers I have tie in more with my love of Star Wars and specific characters, and one could potentially mean more to your brother.
This. I would be crestfallen if someone build me a saber instead of me. It is such a cool experience (my boys still talk about 2+ years later and I still get chills looking at the pics.) If your brother is a big Star Wars fan he likely knows about it. It is an amazing and generous idea, but I would feel cheated if I didn’t get to experience it myself.

Now, if your brother is a big kid at 50 maybe he’d appreciate a droid your son built for him. There isn’t an emotional attachment at the driod build like at Savi’s. Otherwise picking out one of the legacy sabers could be very special.

I may also be in this situation, my nephew wants me to build him one (he'll pay) but obviously I'll need someone to video the ceremony, and I'm going with my mum and niece. Guess I'd have to leave my mum outside, not a child on her own, but then not at all sure about the quality of video that would be taken by a child!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter