Two Birds, One Stone: An Overstressed Mom's Journal

broadsheet

Mouseketeer
Hey there DISers! Longtime RD lurker, first time poster :) Got room for another here?

Me, in a nutshell:

I have two young kids, a husband who somewhat tolerates Disney stuff, and a pretty hectic job. My family is about to embark on our kids' first-ever WDW trip and my husband's first as an adult. I have had SO much fun planning this trip, that I am already feeling planning withdrawal and the trip hasn't even happened yet!

Simultaneously, I have been trying to get in a groove, health-wise, and decided to pick up running again through a Couch to 5K program. Now, I never considered myself an athlete and grew up in a super rural area where fitness=team sports. So I spent, oh, the first 32 years of my life thinking that running isn't for me.

Then I had a baby (in 2011) and figured out that going for run/walks gave me a guaranteed break from the kid! Woo hoo! So I lurched my way through C2K, did a few 5Ks, then a 10K, then I actually, remarkably, did a half-marathon in 2013!

For this book-reading kid who greatly preferred quiz bowl to high school sports, this was quite the accomplishment!

THEN:

I had a second kid. The second kid hates to sleep. (And guess what, she is almost 4!) I took a new job that involves extensive travel, so I added about 15 extra pounds and a whole lotta stress.

(Weren't we talking about Disney withdrawal? I'll get back to it now...)

So anyway. I had a lightbulb moment a few weeks ago and realized I could 1) get healthier and 2) get a return trip to WDW by committing to a RD race!

So as of now...the tentative plan is to get back into running shape in time for the January 2020 half. I'm thinking this will likely be a solo trip, which is both weird and exciting. But for this to happen, I've gotta show some discipline when it comes to money-saving and training, but I think I can do it. Are you with me?

Hey there DISers! Longtime RD lurker, first time poster :) Got room for another here?

Me, in a nutshell:

I have two young kids, a husband who somewhat tolerates Disney stuff, and a pretty hectic job. My family is about to embark on our kids' first-ever WDW trip and my husband's first as an adult. I have had SO much fun planning this trip, that I am already feeling planning withdrawal and the trip hasn't even happened yet!

Simultaneously, I have been trying to get in a groove, health-wise, and decided to pick up running again through a Couch to 5K program. Now, I never considered myself an athlete and grew up in a super rural area where fitness=team sports. So I spent, oh, the first 32 years of my life thinking that running isn't for me.

Then I had a baby (in 2011) and figured out that going for run/walks gave me a guaranteed break from the kid! Woo hoo! So I lurched my way through C2K, did a few 5Ks, then a 10K, then I actually, remarkably, did a half-marathon in 2013!

For this book-reading kid who greatly preferred quiz bowl to high school sports, this was quite the accomplishment!

THEN:

I had a second kid. The second kid hates to sleep. (And guess what, she is almost 4!) I took a new job that involves extensive travel, so I added about 15 extra pounds and a whole lotta stress.

(Weren't we talking about Disney withdrawal? I'll get back to it now...)

So anyway. I had a lightbulb moment a few weeks ago and realized I could 1) get healthier and 2) get a return trip to WDW by committing to a RD race!

So as of now...the tentative plan is to get back into running shape in time for the January 2020 half. I'm thinking this will likely be a solo trip, which is both weird and exciting. But for this to happen, I've gotta show some discipline when it comes to money-saving and training, but I think I can do it. Are you with me?
Go for it!:tigger:

PHASE ONE: THE 5K

I have started Couch to 5K programs many a time, but I usually have five or six fails for each successful completion. I'd been struggling to get my mojo for awhile but I found an app that I like, and I have been plugging along with outdoor runs and at the track in my gym. This week was the dreaded Week 5 of the program when, after several weeks of short little interval runs, you face down 20 minutes of continuous running.

After thinking "There's no way I'm going to finish this," -- guess what? I did, and had no problems at all whatsoever. It still astounds me how much of running is mental. So now, I am away on a business trip, then will go to WDW next week, then will have another business trip immediately following that. So it will be a bit of a challenge to get some regular runs in, but I will do my best to not fall off the wagon so I can finish up this 5K program. If that works out OK, I want to then move on a 10K program and hopefully get working on my POT for WDW in 2020!

I am back from WDW! And dang, it was lovely even though it was a gazillion degrees and HUMID. It definitely gave me the itch to plan a return trip.

Now for a few running related items:

-I am still plugging along on Couch to 5K and just finished Week 6 and the 25-minute run. It was totally doable!

-My town introduced a new challenge medal for its races... run two 5Ks at the end of this year, then the half marathon next spring and you get another medal for doing all three! I am going to sign up for the first 5K but now I am flirting with doing the whole series. I *think* I could start training now for a half? I do need to come up with a strategy for post Couch to 5K so maybe this is the ticket.

-Longer term, I found a running buddy for WDW in 2020! I was a little apprehensive about doing the race weekend solo, so this is great news!

-My town introduced a new challenge medal for its races... run two 5Ks at the end of this year, then the half marathon next spring and you get another medal for doing all three! I am going to sign up for the first 5K but now I am flirting with doing the whole series. I *think* I could start training now for a half? I do need to come up with a strategy for post Couch to 5K so maybe this is the ticket.

Six months or so should be enough to at least survive a half, and probably better than that. Figure that the runDisney newbie-runner training program for the half marathon is 18 weeks before the race - 18 weeks from now is mid-February.

I love challenge medals. A local running organization does races (5k/10k/half) on New Years Eve and New Years Day, and a third medal to connect the medals for the two races. I'm using the NYE 10k for my Star Wars Half PoT, but still pondering the NYD 5k. It's a really hilly course, and we fly to Orlando the next day. But connecting medals...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!