Twice As Nice & Double the Fun: an offsite October PTR where “2” is the magic number

Love the itinerary! I think you'll enjoy Capone's- I've been a few times, and always have a blast (I live just up the street from the theater)

Hi ya Tori! :goodvibes Another autumn traveler who can share in my countdown excitement!

Are you sure you don't want to add another itty bitty 5 days onto the end of your vacation? :flower3: Southwest doesn't charge change fees, after all ;). We'd have a heck of a good time at a Dismeet
Absolutely!! We're within the 3 month mark so I'm counting down to Fast Pass reservation day already! We haven't been since 9/2014 so this trip feels like it's been in the planning stages forever, so I'm excited we're finally in the home stretch!!

Believe me, you wouldn't have to ask me twice to extend our vacation :rotfl2: my employer however, may not be quite so on board with it lol

Hopefully someday we will catch each other to get together for a dismeet! If not in Orlando, maybe one of your stops in Buffalo in the future!

Thursday, October 13th: both Steve and I have booked the day off. We will clean the house, finish the final packing, and head to Buffalo as early in the day as possible. Dinner will be in Buffalo at a restaurant we don’t have here at home. The Anchor Bar (never been) and Famous Dave’s (have only ever been to one in Wisconsin Dells) are both on the short list but neither are confirmed. Our park and fly is already booked and paid for at the Day’s Hotel.
Those are great choices! I do have to say that ask any Buffalonian and you will get a different answer for who has the best wings. I for one am a fan of Duff's! Have you ever been? If not, it's not too far from the airport if you wanna check t it in the future. Anchor Bar is definitely a good choice though!

We have an ADR for Trails End (a new experience) at 6:50 pm and reservations for a carriage ride at 8:30.
How romantic :lovestruc

dinner at Texas de Brazil (another new experience). Steve is simply beside himself for the latter….that’s another that’s been on his Orlando Dining Bucket list for eons.
If he really loves it we have one in the Galleria Mall now too! It's a little closer of a trip that Orlando ::yes::

Late that afternoon, we plan to head to Celebration for Oktoberfest and spend the evening enjoying the German food, special events and entertainment.
That sounds like so much fun!

All of your plans sound great! So many new things for you guys this time around.

Gina- so sorry about the job! :sad1: :grouphug: But on the selfish end- we're all happy that we won't miss your trip writing- and I do believe that things that happen are meant to be.

We ate at Trail's End in June and loved it. We got there early and they have rocking chairs out front to sit on and you truly forget you're in Florida at the Fort. It's very relaxing. The buffet was great and it's the best priced buffet on Disney!:thumbsup2

Wow what a fantastic trip you have planned! A nice mix of activities to say the least!

So you are splitting your stay? Where is Cypress Palms? Have you stayed there before (always on the lookout for new offsite villas)

Wyndham Cypress Palms is in Kissimmee.....ideally located right behind (and within walking distance to) Krispy Kreme :o. My hips are already scared.

This will be a first stay for us there. We got a two bedroom, two bath villa for a crazy low $323 all-in. While the resort amenities don't seem to be quite as extensive as at our beloved Vistana (2 pools versus 7, for example) the resort itself gets very favourable reviews on TripAdvisor and its very conveniently located for shopping and dining. It sounds like it will be good value accommodations, and we are excited to try something new! (and be so close to Krispy Kreme......we'll be the first to get the hot donuts as they roll off the conveyor belt :rotfl:)

Yay! :cheer2: Great start to your report!:thumbsup2 It sounds like you have a lot of great activities planned! ::yes::

Thank you! It's been so strange to once again only be planning for two people. And for two weeks!

We loved the dessert party for MNSSHP last year! We also had a 2nd planned but didn't make it to that one due to weather.

Josh loves Texas De Brazil we've eaten there for his last 2 birthdays. (We have one nearby). Steve will love it! Also they have an amazing salad bar with so many other things to choose from plus the meats it's actually a really good deal.

Madame Tussands and Sea Life were awesome too.

We really enjoyed Tussauds and Sea Life when we first did them at Christmas. I am looking forward to a second visit to each when its (hopefully) not so busy.

I am glad to hear the positive feedback on the dessert party......it felt very splurgy and indulgent at $79 each. I am so excited to do it, though......and I can't wait to see all the fancy Halloween-inspired desserts!

Texas de Brazil is easily Steve's most anticipated new dining experience of this trip. Endless meat is right up his alley :lmao:.

It's funny how 2 weeks fly by and what seems like a relaxing itinerary soon turns out to be quite busy. So, how come you are going to DC twice, are you doing the dolphin swim?

We were able to book DC for the crazy low price of $99 each with our AP discount. That's cheaper than a day at either Disney or Universal AND includes our food, drinks and parking. We absolutely love it there....it our favourite park in all of Orlando....so we didn't hesitate to book two different dates when the price was so awesome. No dolphin swim on either visit (we've done it twice before) so just sun, fun and relaxation!! (though SeaVenture is calling my name.....we can reserve that experience for $39 each with the passmember rate.....I am sorely tempted to surprise Steve as I know its something he has always wanted to try, and its MUCH cheaper than a cabana rental!)

I like how the 2nd part of your trip seems very relaxing!

We went on the carriage ride at Fort Wilderness on our honeymoon. It was a nice relaxing ride.

I'm still trying to convince Eric that we need to go to Discovery Cove in September. Madeline really wants to swim with the dolphins and I would do that with her and then we'd get the rest of our party the tickets that didn't have the dolphin swim. Is it worth it? (they'd be $99 because of our Sea World passes)

Oh yes, yes, YES its worth it! Its our favourite park in Orlando, hands down. The pass member discounted rates are excellent and make it a serious must-do. If the budget will allow, definitely book it and plan to go.

We like having the later stages of the trip being a little less hectic. By then, we're getting tired and just wanting to savour the moments a little more slowly. I think its a sign we are getting older. Or lazier. I'm not sure which is worse :rolleyes2.

Looks like a great vacation to me! Can't wait to read more!

Thank you!! :welcome: aboard!

What a great trip plan!
Better pace yourselves on all those yummy restaurants, especially Texas de Brazil. Meat sweats are a real thing LOL ?uber to Octoberfest too? Can't go and not indulge in some German beer:) And don't forget about the Chili's "to go" and mobile ordering-can send DH out to pick up the eats on your pool day while you lounge with a tropical drink:rolleyes1

Hoping we get back to the parks in 2017. Would really like to see Seaworld (haven't been since i was 14) and of course to ride the new coaster -but it will have to include universal too...If all plans go well my oldest is going to try for a Disney college program internship in fall 2017. She has wanted to do an internship there for a long time and has taken so many college classes at HS level that she has almost 2 semesters worth of credits to play with. Hope it works out for me(...*ahem) her.

We are actually considering splurging on Uber for several different events. Capone's. Discovery Cove. Maybe Pirates Dinner Adventure. Steve's not a big beer fan, but if he thinks he might decide to enjoy a sample or two (or three, or four :rolleyes1) then Uber it shall be. We've never used that service before so this will be an all-new process for us.

You think exactly as we do for our Chili's lunch......we plan to enjoy it by the pool if at all possible. Chili's is actually within walking distance to Cypress Palms so we don't even need to drive if we don't want to.

Fingers crossed and good vibes for your DD as she gets closer to applying for the college program. That would be the coolest thing EVER! I so wish that Jake had decided to do the same......I can only imagine it would have been the most incredible experience.

I can't wait to read about your adventures. I wanted to let you know that our family loves Sonny's. We also visited Capone's a couple years ago. The food was good, and the show was funny. I saw you were considering dressing up. Do it! We did, and the cast really loved it. My boys were both mentioned by name in the show, and they both had a bit of spotlight.

I also wanted to tell you that I LOVE what your son has decided to do with his life. I am the mom of a highly functioning autistic child. He is an amazing kid, and I wish he had someone like your son to be around.

Aw, thank you Mom2SamandJames :goodvibes. We are very proud of our Jake, he has a good heart and a real love for people. We are so happy he is following his dream: my boss has always said "find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life". You know what is sad, though? His agency has 146 people on the payroll, and only 6 of them are men. It pains me to know there are so few guys called to that vocation.

No firm decisions on dressing up for Capone's just yet, but Steve would LOVE to (he's definitely hinting and pushing for costumes!!) and your feedback helps nudge me in that direction to. What do you think, would I make a good flapper? :scratchin

We are big BBQ lovers, so Sonny's is being eagerly anticipated by us both!! I can't wait to give it a try....I'm a big brisket fan, so I know what I will be ordering ::yes::.

Great itinerary!

As a shameless carnivore, I especially like your restaurant choices Anchor Bar (THE birthplace of Buffalo Wings, if I'm not mistaken), 4Rivers, and last but not least Texas de Brazil! I have not been there, but I'm a huge fan of Brazilian steakhouses! They are glorious grilled meat parades! We went to one for Fathers Day, and it still makes my mouth water! I will give an Honorable Mention to Sonnys. I've had good food there as well a?s not quite so good. (ETA: I missed LongHorns the first time I read your itinerary. I have not been to one in a long time, but I remember it being another good carnivorous treat.)

I'm also looking forward to hearing about the dinner shows. I have considered both of those for our trips.

Staying tuned...

Nothing wrong with being a shameless carnivore......I married one, as you know :rotfl2:.

Dear Florida friends of ours have been consciously steering us towards some of the places on our itinerary, and they have GREAT taste so I know we won't be disappointed. We have upgraded to the VIP seating/packages for both Capones and Pirates, so hopefully that will ensure we have great experiences at both venues. We have already done the Outta Control Dinner Show on a previous trip, and Medieval Times twice at home (at the Toronto castle), so it will be fun to see how these two compare in price and quality.

Love the itinerary! I think you'll enjoy Capone's- I've been a few times, and always have a blast (I live just up the street from the theater)

Good to hear!! Honestly, I have yet to hear any real negative feedback......it gets pretty positive reviews all around. The Trip podcast did an episode on it as well, and it just cemented our desire to go!

Absolutely!! We're within the 3 month mark so I'm counting down to Fast Pass reservation day already! We haven't been since 9/2014 so this trip feels like it's been in the planning stages forever, so I'm excited we're finally in the home stretch!!

Believe me, you wouldn't have to ask me twice to extend our vacation :rotfl2: my employer however, may not be quite so on board with it lol

Hopefully someday we will catch each other to get together for a dismeet! If not in Orlando, maybe one of your stops in Buffalo in the future!

Those are great choices! I do have to say that ask any Buffalonian and you will get a different answer for who has the best wings. I for one am a fan of Duff's! Have you ever been? If not, it's not too far from the airport if you wanna check t it in the future. Anchor Bar is definitely a good choice though!

How romantic :lovestruc

If he really loves it we have one in the Galleria Mall now too! It's a little closer of a trip that Orlando ::yes::

That sounds like so much fun!

All of your plans sound great! So many new things for you guys this time around.

Duff's is a new name for me, but I will definitely look it up. We're not averse to driving around Buffalo (especially in October.....surely it won't snow by then :rotfl:) but close by the hotel is always a nice selling feature, especially after a 4 hour drive to get there.

We debated whether to do the wagon ride (which needs no reservations) at FW or book the carriage, and the private-ness of the carriage won us out. Its our first couples trip in a full year, and yeah....we want it to be snuggly and romantic :cloud9:. And.....we'll be dry in the event that it rains :umbrella:. Also a plus!! LOL

I will definitely take you up on the offer of a Dismeet in Buffalo one of these fine days :thumbsup2. It seems to be our airport of choice these days (Jetblue out of Syracuse has stooped to the ridiculous where price is concerned.....no Southwest there to keep them honest) so I foresee us flying from there pretty much exclusively. Or, if we somehow manage to get to Niagara later this summer, we'd be happy to meet you at the Silo in Lewiston for a Haystack and a milkshake :teeth:.

Gina- so sorry about the job! :sad1: :grouphug: But on the selfish end- we're all happy that we won't miss your trip writing- and I do believe that things that happen are meant to be.

We ate at Trail's End in June and loved it. We got there early and they have rocking chairs out front to sit on and you truly forget you're in Florida at the Fort. It's very relaxing. The buffet was great and it's the best priced buffet on Disney!:thumbsup2

Trail's End looks so casual and comfy, and I have heard NOTHING but great things about the food. Steve heard they had all you can eat ribs on the buffet and he was sold right there. We have heard transportation can be a bit of an issue so we might park at Disney Springs and take the bus rather than drive.

Trail's End looks so casual and comfy, and I have heard NOTHING but great things about the food. Steve heard they had all you can eat ribs on the buffet and he was sold right there. We have heard transportation can be a bit of an issue so we might park at Disney Springs and take the bus rather than drive.

Actually, there is a big parking lot at the Fort and one short bus ride takes you back to the restaurant. We like it as it is a scenic drive past the cabins and RV's. If you bus in from Disney Springs, they let you off at the main bus stop and you still have to take the internal bus back to the restaurant. And Disney Springs buses are not known for their speediness! I think driving in is the way to go.

I think you'd make a great flapper. When we went, my mom and I dressed up as flappers and did the feather boas as well as the headbands with feathers. We had a ball!

I can't wait to read about your DC visits. That is on our definite to do list! We have been waiting until both boys would be able to enjoy the experience. That time will be very soon so we are on pins and needles to hear your opinions.

Actually, there is a big parking lot at the Fort and one short bus ride takes you back to the restaurant. We like it as it is a scenic drive past the cabins and RV's. If you bus in from Disney Springs, they let you off at the main bus stop and you still have to take the internal bus back to the restaurant. And Disney Springs buses are not known for their speediness! I think driving in is the way to go.

Excellent advice :thumbsup2 .... thank you patty! Tis very true that the buses are a bit less.....reliable?......than driving yourself.

Taking the rental car is sounding like a better and better idea. I do want to check out the new Disney Springs at some point on the trip, however. Maybe enjoy a beverage some evening on the rooftop of the new Coke Store :drinking1.

I think you'd make a great flapper. When we went, my mom and I dressed up as flappers and did the feather boas as well as the headbands with feathers. We had a ball!

I can't wait to read about your DC visits. That is on our definite to do list! We have been waiting until both boys would be able to enjoy the experience. That time will be very soon so we are on pins and needles to hear your opinions.

We've been to DC three times so far, with these two October reservations being our 4th and 5th visits (to think we said it was a "once in a lifetime" splurge way back in 2012 :rolleyes1). Honestly, I think its a place where every age and stage can enjoy themselves, once the little ones are past the baby and toddler years. The aviary is awesome for kids, the sand beach is a GREAT place to play (bring sand toys....pails, shovels), and the Grand Reef is fabulous for all ages. There are a TON of lifeguards to keep everyone safe, there are an abundance of life jackets for weaker swimmers, and the variety of the food should mean everyone finds something they like. As long as your boys like water, you'll have a ball!

Steve and I are double-digit dancing today!!

6a0148c6c126f4970c017ee59bb51f970d-800wi

99 days to go! :hourglass

Looks like you have a great trip planned, Gina!

And yay, you're finally trying 4 Rivers! I had them for lunch last week when they participated in a fundraiser to benefit the Pulse victims. Can't beat good food for a good cause!

Yay for double digits!!
I helped my mom book eleven of us on Jetblue for our Christmas cruise today!! She let me use family pooling to get most of the points too! :)
After we take those flights we'll have enough points for 2 return flights on Jetblue during a reasonable time of year. I don't even want to say what flying out on December 27th cost:scared:.
So with those points in mind, I think we will sneak in a 2017 Orlando trip for sure! That will definitely be the trip where we try SeaWorld/Discovery Cove I am thinking.
My husband is rolling his eyes. He loves the fuzzy math I use when I plan a $5000 trip because it would be a waste not to use the two free flights.:teacher::cool2:

Sounds like you've got a ton of fun things planned! We did Madame Tussaud's in April and I loved it - so many fun props for photos! And how awesome is it that you're doing Discovery Cove twice? Definitely a lot of stuff to be excited about, I look forward to following along here. :goodvibes

Woo hoo!!! Another ptr from Gina!!! I can hardly wait to see what's new this trip. We have gotten so many great ideas from your reports - you are like our own Orlando "travel agent". Great summer reading ahead!:flower1:

Jump00

Looks like you have a great trip planned, Gina!

And yay, you're finally trying 4 Rivers! I had them for lunch last week when they participated in a fundraiser to benefit the Pulse victims. Can't beat good food for a good cause!

When a friend of mine emailed me to tell me they were opening a location in Kissimmee this summer, it was like a sign. We had planned to get there this trip come hell or high water anyway, but to have it that convenient was the icing on the cake. Was it the Kissimmee restaurant that you were at for the fundraiser? What did you think of it? Speaking of icing and cake, I'm wondering if it has a bakery like some of the others.

Yay for double digits!!
I helped my mom book eleven of us on Jetblue for our Christmas cruise today!! She let me use family pooling to get most of the points too! :)
After we take those flights we'll have enough points for 2 return flights on Jetblue during a reasonable time of year. I don't even want to say what flying out on December 27th cost:scared:.
So with those points in mind, I think we will sneak in a 2017 Orlando trip for sure! That will definitely be the trip where we try SeaWorld/Discovery Cove I am thinking.
My husband is rolling his eyes. He loves the fuzzy math I use when I plan a $5000 trip because it would be a waste not to use the two free flights.:teacher::cool2:

Hey, free flights are nothin' to sneeze at!! That cuts a significant amount from your bottom line ::yes::. Of course, something tells me your DH enjoys your planning mania a lot more than he lets on ;). I have witnessed similar eye rolls from my big guy from time to time :teeth:.

I am excited that you are considering visiting SeaWorld and Discovery Cove next year....I think you guys will be wowed (by DC, especially). Something new to plan will be a fun change for you, as well :).

Sounds like you've got a ton of fun things planned! We did Madame Tussaud's in April and I loved it - so many fun props for photos! And how awesome is it that you're doing Discovery Cove twice? Definitely a lot of stuff to be excited about, I look forward to following along here. :goodvibes

Thank you! :goodvibes I'll be honest....I rarely have trouble in the excitement department (except maybe getting TOO excited :hyper: ... yeah, that's a bit of an issue occasionally :rotfl:) but this trip is definitely getting me pretty jazzed up. I am hoping that some dear friends might be able to sneak down for a few days and join us.....nothing is certain yet, but its a possibility.....which just makes me even more anxious for the next 99 days to pass as swiftly as possible.

Woo hoo!!! Another ptr from Gina!!! I can hardly wait to see what's new this trip. We have gotten so many great ideas from your reports - you are like our own Orlando "travel agent". Great summer reading ahead!:flower1:

Jump00

Orlando Travel Agent.....now THERE'S my dream job right there ::yes::. I can't think of anything I would enjoy more!!

I didn't get a chance to do a proper entry today (the best laid plans....sigh) but hopefully I will have a chance to add something meaningful and interesting tomorrow. So glad to have you joining in!! :thumbsup2

Wow another trip in the works! I will be anxiously awaiting your restaurant reviews, or what deals you're getting and I'm sure reading this will have me changing some of our plans for our New Years Trip!

Been wanting to try Trails End as well. My vegetarian daughter is making it hard for me to justify the prices of some of the Disney buffets, but I think I can stomach this one! Would be a nice first night dinner.

That's a great price you got on the resort. Was that through Skyauction?

Congrats to your son on his new career. It's been neat seeing him grow up through your trip reports over the years. As much as I love our family trips I'm looking forward to the day dh and I can enjoy some vacations alone. Funny a few years back my kids were at the inlaws for a week and dh and I took a few days to go to a popular amusement park in the US that's about 6 hr drive. Ran into lots of the kids friends families who asked excitedly if K & K were there. Nope, just us. Other friends were down at same time and couldn't believe we'd rather be there than shopping or at the bar with them! Ha. So I'm sure we'll get the raised eyebrow when we plan some solo Disney/Universal/Seaworld trips. Maybe we will just tell everyone we're going on a golf trip. Ha

When a friend of mine emailed me to tell me they were opening a location in Kissimmee this summer, it was like a sign. We had planned to get there this trip come hell or high water anyway, but to have it that convenient was the icing on the cake. Was it the Kissimmee restaurant that you were at for the fundraiser? What did you think of it? Speaking of icing and cake, I'm wondering if it has a bakery like some of the others.

I actually thought that when I saw it was opening in Kissimmee - it's closer to me AND easier for tourists like Gina to visit! :D

There's actually a 4 Rivers right across the street from my office, in City Hall. :D It's not a full smokehouse, just a smaller cafe. I haven't been to the Kissimmee location yet but I'll make a point to get there before October and report back to you. ;) I'm pretty sure all of them have bakeries, too.

I haven't read one of your PTR before (must mean I'm officially hooked on your trip reports!) so I have to say that I'm amazed with how detailed your itinerary is for being about 100 days out! Good for you!

We are just finalizing our dates for our impromptu Family WDW trip for 9/3-9/10. This was the trip that was going to be our couples anniversary weekend on-site at Universal that got switched to a weeklong family trip with our surprise pregnancy news. We are hoping to buy airfare today (well, switch our southwest air flights and buy 2 more tickets) and rent our vacation home in Indian Creek today. That will be a first for us--we have rented timeshares (WBC, Mystic Dunes) and rented townhomes and condos in Windsor Hills, but this will be our first time in a full private pool home. I am thrilled that our nanny wants to join us so we are splurging on a 4 bedroom home so each of the kids and our nanny will have their own bedroom. Yay for adults outnumbering children! :)

I would love to check out 4 Rivers BBQ, especially now that one is opening in Kissimmee!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!