Tusker House Opinions

Tigger_Magic

I am opinionated, independent-minded, self-righteo
I am looking for opinions about Tusker House at AK. Can't believe in all the trips to WDW we've somehow missed (or avoided?) TH, but we have. My girls steer us toward Pizzafari and last time I was able to drag them (kicking and screaming) to Flame Tree Barbeque (which they actually liked after they tried it). :rolleyes:

In planning for our Nov. trip (yes, I am already planning!), I was going to try to talk everyone into trying Tusker House. So, any opinions about the food, good or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated. I really need some "ammo" to convince my wife and 2 kids.

Thanks everyone!! :)

We like it a lot, there was a thread a few days ago about how good the salmon is there...doesn't taste like "counter service."

wdwrich said:
We think it's one of the best counter service places in all of WDW.

Ditto! I was there mid-May and had the Salmon - jeez was it good!!! It's also a very comfortable restaurant to enjoy a meal. :goodvibes

I think Tusker House is the best place to eat at AK. Now that doesn't mean I think its great but with the bad choices in AK it is the best one. We usually avoid counter service but there is no choice in AK. I know there is Rainforest Cafe but we cannot stand them. Unlike another poster I think it does taste like counter service but not too bad.

Sue, I agree about AK -- the dining choices there leave a lot to be desired. We usually have 1 meal there (lunch), even if the park is open late. I can tolerate Pizzafari for the girls; Flame Tree was fairly good for counter service. I just wish Disney had some better choices. AK is such a great park to have such limited dining options.

We loved Tusker House, we ate there in early May and thought it was above average for CS meals. DH had the fried Chicken Sandwich and fries, cheescake for dessert. DD4 and I shared the Turkey wrap and corn chowder, chocolate cake for dessert. We used the MYW dining plan so we used 2 CS credits. We ate outside at the tables w/umbrellas very relaxing. Lots of inside seating available aswell.

Tigger_Magic said:
I am looking for opinions about Tusker House at AK. Can't believe in all the trips to WDW we've somehow missed (or avoided?) TH, but we have. My girls steer us toward Pizzafari and last time I was able to drag them (kicking and screaming) to Flame Tree Barbeque (which they actually liked after they tried it). :rolleyes:

In planning for our Nov. trip (yes, I am already planning!), I was going to try to talk everyone into trying Tusker House. So, any opinions about the food, good or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated. I really need some "ammo" to convince my wife and 2 kids.

Thanks everyone!! :)

Yum, yum, yum! I was at Disney a few years ago and, then, again very recently. I had the chicken dish both times and it was wonderful! Lots of food and very deliscious. Check out the menu at: http://allearsnet.com/menu/menu_tus.htm Enjoy! :)

I read where many really like it. I have given it three tries and found each time lackluster. :confused3
I kept thinking it was just an off day. But, after three times, I just avoid it.
Our food was not horrible. Just "okay" at best. While eating there we always wished we were elsewhere.
But it is good we don't all want to eat at the same places.

Another vote for the Tusker House. We were there back in April and both the chicken and salmon were great. We usually did lunch around 11ish. We sat towards the back of the restaurant, and got a good view of the African acrobats(I guess that's what you would call them) performing outside the restaurant. There was also an African "musician" come through the restaurant to mingle with the kids and perform some type of music on an instrument that he told DH he actually made himself. I don't think this was something he did everyday, don't know. But it was interesting seeing him and talking with him.

My husband and I always try to hit Tusker House at least once each trip. A good many times we'll eat there twice....once for breakfast (delicious cinnamon rolls) and once for lunch. If you go, sit outside in the back and you'll experience a wonderful example of Disney theming. You are sitting beside a two story building with an upstairs porch and you can hear the sounds of a typical kitchen.....dishes being washed, pots and pans banging, cuttlery clanging, something being stirred, seasoning being chopped, even a glass being dropped, broken and swept up. It isn't until you look down at your table and notice the paper plates and plastic utensils that you realize it isn't real. If you sit there long enough, you'll hear the glass breaking again. :-)

DH, DS and DD absolutely love the Tusker House. Went last week, and had lunch. DD likes the kids meal with a roasted chicken drumstick and mashed potatoes; DS and DH like the fried chicken sandwich and steak fries. Had DMIL and DFIL with us this time, and they raved about the chicken salad. And we've always been too full to try any of their desserts.
Last year, DH and DS stopped by the Tusker House in the early AM and had a good-sized breakfast that they talked about for the rest of the day.
We've seen the strolling musician on all 4 trips to the Tusker House. I think he's there during the busy hours of the day...when we've stopped by in mid-afternoon for a drink and bathroom break, we haven't seen him.

The rotis. chicken with carrot cake for dessert is probably our favorite meal at WDW. Make sure you check the AK "times guide" when you enter the park-TH often closes earlier than the other food places (3:00 when we went last month).

Love Tusker House. Only been there once, but the food was great! Can't remember what everyone had tho. I had the fried chicken sandwich - basically a chicken sandwich but had an intersting sauce on it.

GET THE SALMON! I'm not really even that big on Salmon but I was trying to watch my girlish figure and thought what the hay. OMG! UNBELIEVABLE that an $8 plate at a counter service ended up being my best meal of the trip including all the sitdowns! Can you say YUMMY! It's definitely on my list next trip!

This is my favorite counter service in all of the parks. I love the roast chicken and my kids really like the mac and cheese here.

Purchase the meal vouchers at $11.99 and make it an even better meal.

We ate at Tusker House last week and the rotisserie chicken meals. Yummy!! The green beans were most excellent and I'm not a big green bean eater, but sure loved these. Yummmm!! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter