TSA precheck

I had one bad experience at Boston Logan, I set off the metal detector (I think it was malfunctioning, a lot of people set it off) and every one of us that set it off was put in to the scanner line, which got huge really fast because the metal detector was acting up, and then I was stuck behind someone who was difficult and got hand searched and swabbed right there. Super irritating, but Precheck has been fantastic at several other airports, and my friends in Boston say that Logan tends to screw that stuff up fairly consistently.

Matt

My worst pat down experience was with precheck. I had a elastic hair tie with a 1 /16 of a inch metal in my hair. Was sent through the scanner, hot spots all over. Top of my head, The woman was patting my head like nice little doggy....My hair is thin enough, what could be on top of my head...anyway... waist, asked if I was wearing a belt, no....(the guy ahead of me was told to leave his belt on) ankles, feet, soles of feet,,,took my shoes to put through ex-ray. So glad my husband went ahead of me, at least he could retrieve the bags with my wallet in it.

This thread reminded me that I wanted to try to get pre-check before our family goes to Hawaii next month; we're taking 11 flights so I thought it would come in handy for the bigger airports (and we have a credit card that reimburses you for the pre-check fee, so no out of pocket charge to us). Applied this morning, got our appointment for tomorrow morning. Very easy!

We decided to go for it as my 81 yr old dad is moving from NJ to FL....it's the 3 of us and my dad, but that is another thread. We figured we may have lots of trips from PHL to MCO and it will just make things easier. We had our appointments Wednesday night and received approval today.

This thread reminded me that I wanted to try to get pre-check before our family goes to Hawaii next month; we're taking 11 flights so I thought it would come in handy for the bigger airports (and we have a credit card that reimburses you for the pre-check fee, so no out of pocket charge to us). Applied this morning, got our appointment for tomorrow morning. Very easy!

I sweated a little bit when I saw next month, but if you already got your appointment, great! I'm in NYC and all of our appointment spots are booked out for months. I got really lucky that United was doing a temporary set up in Penn Station that didn't take appointments, got there first thing in the morning with my girlfriend and we got it done. We had our KTNs (Known Traveler Number, the thing you have to attach to your boarding pass to get Precheck) about a week later by email.

Matt

I sweated a little bit when I saw next month, but if you already got your appointment, great! I'm in NYC and all of our appointment spots are booked out for months. I got really lucky that United was doing a temporary set up in Penn Station that didn't take appointments, got there first thing in the morning with my girlfriend and we got it done. We had our KTNs (Known Traveler Number, the thing you have to attach to your boarding pass to get Precheck) about a week later by email.

Matt

I got global entry done in NYC including interviews at JFK in under 3 weeks. Took a ton of stalking the website to get interviews that quickly but I did and got my KTN on the spot.

Not having to take off shoes and belt, not having to wait in the regular line, not having to take out laptops, tablets, keyboards, camera equipment.... worth it. Completely and totally worth it. I don't know how I flew without it in the past, it's so very convenient.

If you have a good travel rewards credit card, they probably cover the fee, in which case there is no reason at all to not do it, it can be tough to find an open appointment slot if you're in a busy area, but it's worth doing. It's good for 5 years, not sure what the renewal is comprised of.

Matt

It was really tough to get an appointment in our area. Only DH was lucky enough to get one at our home airport. Dd and I had to drive 4 hours away because PDX was booked out for 9 months. DS was flying through Arizona and managed to get an appointment.

I got global entry done in NYC including interviews at JFK in under 3 weeks. Took a ton of stalking the website to get interviews that quickly but I did and got my KTN on the spot.

I mean, I did it in a day ;) but I spent a few weeks watching for appointments, might have been a bad time of year, I haven't looked since obviously. Glad to have it either way!

Matt

I mean, I did it in a day ;) but I spent a few weeks watching for appointments, might have been a bad time of year, I haven't looked since obviously. Glad to have it either way!

Matt

Oh maybe that's one bug difference for global entry you have to wait to be pre-approved before you can even get an appointment or walk in.

Matt

I went for my appointment today - the agent said she thought I'd have the number in hand by Friday. We have two pre-check areas close to where I live and nearly every appointment time was available for both locations. We are actually leaving August 5th (so a week from Saturday), and the agent said she thought it would be fine - just to make sure I called all of our airlines and gave them the KTN as soon as I got the e-mail with the number. We'll see...

I also found out at this appointment that kids who are 12+ need their own KTN. I'd read on line it was 13, so that was a surprise. My oldest DS turns 12 in October, so I guess we'll be taking him in soon.

It doesn't make the attendants any nicer, but throw me into the "worth it" camp. $85 for five years isn't that bad. It's a little easier than the usual line with a generally faster wait. I wish there was a superkindandpatient upgrade pass, I'd so buy that one. I had a hoodie and a denim jacket on last time and got snapped at for not taking it off. I get super flustered in TSA. :(

At any rate, if you fly twice a year that comes out to about $8.50 per roundtrip flight, or an extra $4.25 per flight. If you fly three times a year or more, even less. I don't like crowds, confusion, or trying to take things off and put them back on, so the value is definitely there for me.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but there are several premium travel credit cards that will reimburse the fee for Global Entry (includes TSA Pre).

Matt

Just wanted to update - After applying for an appointment on Sunday, having my appointment on Monday (DH had his on Tuesday), I got my e-mail on Thursday and DH and I got BOTH of our letters on Friday! So 5 days from when I applied online to having my letter in-hand. We leave Saturday for our trip so I went online over the weekend and put my KTN and DH's KTN into all our ticket records. Way to go government efficiency! :)

I have received pre-check more than than not. I booked a flight on Thursday for travel the next day so I thought for sure I wouldn't get it. But I did! I wonder if being 60+ helps?

FYI- we went to Hawaii in March and the airports there did not recognize TSA pre-check:headache:
Really annoying!

I have received pre-check more than than not. I booked a flight on Thursday for travel the next day so I thought for sure I wouldn't get it. But I did! I wonder if being 60+ helps?

If you book a flight on-line, how do they know how old you are?

is TSA -recheck worth it? We got it for free last year, by surprise. It was great not needing to take off our shoes. Any thoughts?
If you fly at least once a year, it's worth it in my opinion. I love skipping the regular security line.

I also found out at this appointment that kids who are 12+ need their own KTN. I'd read on line it was 13, so that was a surprise. My oldest DS turns 12 in October, so I guess we'll be taking him in soon.
It is 13 & up that they need PreCheck. My son is 12 & he's gone with me through Precheck with no problem.

It is 13 & up that they need PreCheck. My son is 12 & he's gone with me through Precheck with no problem.

Hmm... I had read 13 and up online, but when I asked the TSA agent who did my PreCheck application she specifically said it was 12 and up. I hope she was just incorrect, and they are not changing the rule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter