Tyre Nichols

Why? Just why?

I keep hearing the story and it’s so disturbing.
May he rip.
But the real statement should be, those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

I was a young adult when Rodney King got a beat down that he survived and I nieve to think it was all caught on camera the cops would surely get be found guilty.
Time and time again for decades and even way before Rodney King this has happened.
I’m very glad that anyone especially first responders who saw this happen have been fired and hoped charged and did nothing to stop it go to prison.
These “cops” thought they were above the law and had a pack mentality. I consider them punks if you have to have several people beat on one person.

I live in Memphis, so it hits home for me. Such a tragedy! I am pretty satisfied though with how our officials have been handling it by taking swift action and offering transparency into the details. Considering the video, I'm pretty sure they will throw the book at these guys.

I cried so much watching him be beaten to death. I cried in anger and frustration and grief, and also fear because I'm helping to raise a black child who will one day be a black man in this country. Yes, the police who did this were African-American, but it's still a part of the racist culture in this country. I had to hug DJ extra hard today, because he goes out into the world starting September when he starts school, and all we want to do is keep him safe and innocent. I'm terrified for him.

I cried so much watching him be beaten to death. I cried in anger and frustration and grief, and also fear because I'm helping to raise a black child who will one day be a black man in this country. Yes, the police who did this were African-American, but it's still a part of the racist culture in this country. I had to hug DJ extra hard today, because he goes out into the world starting September when he starts school, and all we want to do is keep him safe and innocent. I'm terrified for him.
There are no words to express how deeply sorry I am.

I agree this was horrible & never should have happened. I do think we need to stop thinking about these issues in terms of race. Most of these issues happen because these specific cops think they are above the law or that they are right in whatever they are doing. I don't care what the race is of the victim or the perpetrator. I want everyone charged to the full extent of the law. There is way too much corruption in the our law enforcement and prosecutor offices. We need to stop the abuse and get back to following the law.

We absolutely need to publicize all of these events so that we can start on some real reform where everyone is treated equally under the law.

Edit: reply removed, no point in engaging in conversation

Last edited:
I agree this was horrible & never should have happened. I do think we need to stop thinking about these issues in terms of race. Most of these issues happen because these specific cops think they are above the law or that they are right in whatever they are doing. I don't care what the race is of the victim or the perpetrator. I want everyone charged to the full extent of the law. There is way too much corruption in the our law enforcement and prosecutor offices. We need to stop the abuse and get back to following the law.

We absolutely need to publicize all of these events so that we can start on some real reform where everyone is treated equally under the law.
I agree. It took George Floyd dying for anyone to even hear about Amaud Arbery.

We need to shine the brightest light in all these cases, because there are way too many.

I 100% believe that Tyre Nichols was beaten because of his race, even if it was at the hands of people who are also black. Institutionalized racism is color blind when it comes to its practitioners.

Because I have no wish to garner points by getting into an argument with anyone that is all I have to say on the subject.

Couldn't agree more, however grouping them as "cops" is no different than naming a race. These were people that thought they were above everyone and these people took things into their hands and clearly went too far. It's not a "cop" thing but an a**hole/bully/thug thing. Similar a**hole/bully/thugs have physically harmed and beaten innocent *men, women, children, gay/lesbian, old, young, black, white, yellow, green...... hatred and mental illness have no limits.
I disagree. I think them being cops is very relevant. Because they are cops, they are given weapons, authority, access to their victims' homes/vehicles, protection from prosecution, trained to be in a constant state of fear, taught to use violence as a first resort, etc.

Obviously, I am in no way implying that all cops are bad, but the bad ones are in an environment that makes it much easier for them to commit acts like this than if they were in a different career. You may be an ****** accountant who is capable of violence like this, but you're much less likely to find yourself in a situation where you can legally drag someone from their vehicle or break into their home and then get carried away with a group of buddies and beat them to death or shoot them when they run away. Because they are cops, they also have (at least historically) the confidence that they are "above the law" and will be shielded from any punishment for their actions.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Deeply disturbing on so many levels.

I don’t know if there is an easy answer for what happened. ANY culture - social or professional - where this is even remotely acceptable, has to stop.

I am hauntingly sad for Tyre, his family and friends, and for all those dedicated law enforcement officers and emergency personnel who work fervently every day to truly help and serve the public.

I like what the Massachusetts State Police had to say about it.

F2F2DF8A-71DA-4724-930B-5CA9A3D67AF6.jpeg

I 100% believe that Tyre Nichols was beaten because of his race, even if it was at the hands of people who are also black. Institutionalized racism is color blind when it comes to its practitioners.

Because I have no wish to garner points by getting into an argument with anyone that is all I have to say on the subject.
Same

Now I'm really curious. I did not think I said anything that controversial to make someone quote me twice and then delete their comments and refuse to engage with me. That's never happened in my 15 years on the Dis.

Now I'm really curious. I did not think I said anything that controversial to make someone quote me twice and then delete their comments and refuse to engage with me. That's never happened in my 15 years on the Dis.
Wasn't you specifically, I just reread the room and thought it was best to retract my replies and leave well enough alone. Sorry if me doing that mislead your thoughts.

taught to use violence as a first resort, etc.
I’m not sure I agree with this statement. They do have to protect themselves, too. They have families to go home to and deal daily with people in society that none of the rest of us want to deal with. From what I see they spend a lot of time learning de-escalation techniques first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter