Tropicana Family Suite?

Pluto468

DIS Veteran
Hi- For our November trip I booked the Tropicana suite with attached kitchen and adjoining 2 queen room with a den. Has anyone ever stayed in that suite? I'm wondering if it's as nice as the pictures look online.

Also, any thoughts about Tropicana in general? I've never stayed there before. We used to live in LA so we didn't need a hotel, and the times we've visited the parks since then we stayed at DLH, Hojo, Candy Cane and Hyatt House. I'm looking forward to a shorter walk this time.

Is Tropicana quiet, are the beds comfortable, is the pool decent, walk as short as it seems? Any input appreciated! Thanks :)

I’ve stayed there many times. It’s a good option for the price. It is not fancy by any stretch of the imagination but it’s clean, the staff is nice and being able to pop back & forth during the day is great. The pool is small and pretty basic. I think the beds are fine, at least I’ve never had a problem sleeping there.

as with all of the harbor motels, it can get noisy which is why I always travel with a sound machine and ear plugs :)

I'll be checking in there in 3 days. Let me know if there is any specific questions you might have and I'll try to get you an answer.

Thanks! I'm mostly wondering if it is clean, beds comfortable and feels safe for walking back and forth at night. Also, is the kitchen as spacious as it looks online? Have a wonderful trip!

Also, any thoughts about Tropicana in general? I've never stayed there before. We used to live in LA so we didn't need a hotel, and the times we've visited the parks since then we stayed at DLH, Hojo, Candy Cane and Hyatt House. I'm looking forward to a shorter walk this time.

Is Tropicana quiet, are the beds comfortable, is the pool decent, walk as short as it seems? Any input appreciated! Thanks :)

I haven't stayed in the family suite specifically at Tropicana, but have stayed in other rooms there several times. It's one of my favorite motels! I think their refurb was done around 2016, so I'll try to note if it was before/after the refurb, since we were there before and after.

General: Outside is nothing special. We don't use the pool, as I feel "exposed" with it being out in the open in the middle of the parking lot. They have a convenience store at the front of the property. It's spendy (of course), but it has any basics we've needed if I'm too lazy to walk down to CVS. It's generally clean around the property. The only real outside "yucky" has been when passing by the outdoor smoking area; I've got asthma and had to walk near it because that's where the elevator is located. But quick breath-holding and scooting through the smoking area to get to the elevator is easier for me than climbing 3 flights of stairs, ha.

Rooms: I felt like the old rooms were kind of dark and dreary, but with their new décor/aesthetic, it was pretty bright and cheery. Our grandson loved the palm tree wall paper. The blues and oranges were fun and made things feel more modern. I'm not sure what the family suite promises as far as bathrooms; make sure to double check. We stayed in a king room back in 2018, and it only had a shower. Big deal? Not really. A little more difficult? Definitely-- our grandson has some sensory issues, and couldn't "get away" from the water in the shower like he would have been able to do in a tub/shower combo. It was also a little snuggly for hubs and I, who are/were a bit more rotund in the tummy. I've always found the beds super comfy, as did hubs. Not super squishy soft, but not super hard brick either. Just a good middle ground. Our grandson liked the chair sleeper, though he was a little disappointed that he didn't get the king bed all to himself. (Dream big, kiddo!) Linens are fine. Nothing especially good or bad there.

Staff: Always helpful. I've had 2 minor staff issues, but neither were a big deal. Once, I asked them to call me a cab to the airport. They called me a hired car service type thing. It was like $60 to the airport (was expecting $45-50), and he drove like a bat outta you-know-where. I was white-knuckling the door the whole way there. So, I just do Uber/Lyft now. The other one just felt "weird." Admittedly, I am completely 100% socially anxious, and I travel by myself to the DLR like 80% of the time. In other words, it could totally be my own awkwardness. So, I was coming back from the parks one evening, and one of the parking attendants called me by name when I was returning. Since I hadn't brought a car to park, and hadn't had any other interactions with the guy, it made me uncomfortable that he knew my name. But, again, it could totally be my anxiety! I didn't feel unsafe, per say, just .... weird that a parking person would know my name.

As far as noise, it's about what any place would be on Harbor. There's some traffic noise, worse closer to the front of the property. There's the expected yelling and running and general kid noise like any other place on Harbor. Of note, hubs tends to be a "must have dead silence" type for sleeping, and he doesn't remember any issue with noise at Tropicana.

If they weren't getting so expensive, we'd totally stay there more often, and miss staying there.

As far as feeling safe walking back at night- there are literally hundreds of families doing the same thing all along Harbor at the same time. You will be one of the closest to the crosswalk- so, very safe- feeling.

Thank you SO much for this long and detailed reply. I really appreciate it. I'm always a bit nervous when trying new hotels so it's nice to have an idea of what to expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter