Triplets with Mild Spectrum Issues

have2getaway

DIS Veteran
I have an older son with Asperger’s and younger sons (triplets), who were also diagnosed with autism. My older son had severe issues, so we really had to request the GAC card when we brought him. He is 17 now and simply chooses on his own not to venture much to theme parks. He doesn’t like crowds or lines and prefers not to have to request a special card to be able to experience an attraction.

Our younger boys love theme parks (for a span of time), but really struggle in lines (for various reasons). One has pretty severe sensory issues. He had panic attacks on both Mission Space and It’s Tough to be a Bug. We have made 2 successful trips to Disney by simply going during low season (January). Our last trip, we noticed we didn’t do as much because it was too difficult to deal with their issues in lines and, quite honestly, not fair to other guests. Two of them don’t understand maintaining space between themselves and others in lines. The third gets severe anxiety and will start to ask every question under the sun about the ride. We didn’t ask for the DAS for them because it was much less severe than our older son, and we thought we could manage. Now, we are actually considering not returning because of the stress with waiting in lines and crowds and their issues. We also have to return during February break when it will be much busier. It was only then that I started to acknowledge that, perhaps, it was time to request the accommodation. I know the DAS is much different than the GAC card we used for my son over 12 years ago. I understand that it doesn’t ‘jet set’ you to the front of the line, and I’m okay with that. I’m just wondering if the request for the accommodation is similar to how it was before? I didn’t need anything from a Dr. before. Is that still the case? We obviously have plenty in writing to confirm their issues, so just want to be prepared if it’s needed. Also, would we request it for all 3 or just 1? My concern with requesting it for just 1 is that the son with anxiety has bowed out of several attractions at the last minute. I also can’t help but consider that my older son might come and enjoy himself if he wasn’t the one who had to put himself out there as different, but I’m honestly not counting on that. He’s discovered coping strategies over the years, and some of that has sadly become to avoid situations he might be uncomfortable in. TIA

If their disabilities make it difficult or impossible to wait in the lines, then you should request the DAS. You don’t need any documentation, you just need to be able to explain why their disabilities make it difficult to wait in the lines.

There is a pinned thread in this forum about the DAS, and the first post explains all about how it works.

As to whether or not you need more than one, I would consider it if one of the kids frequently changes his mind about riding, since the DAS holder must ride in order for anyone to ride. You can have more than one DAS in your party, and each DAS will have all non-DAS holders attached. However, each guest can only have one return time at a time.

If their disabilities make it difficult or impossible to wait in the lines, then you should request the DAS. You don’t need any documentation, you just need to be able to explain why their disabilities make it difficult to wait in the lines.

There is a pinned thread in this forum about the DAS, and the first post explains all about how it works.

As to whether or not you need more than one, I would consider it if one of the kids frequently changes his mind about riding, since the DAS holder must ride in order for anyone to ride. You can have more than one DAS in your party, and each DAS will have all non-DAS holders attached. However, each guest can only have one return time at a time.

Thank you! This makes sense. I did read through the pinned post on DAS, but it was from 2014, so I wasn’t sure if anything had changed from what was mentioned there.

Just be wary when using more than 1 DAS in the same family / group, depending on how it is set up each DAS will not have the other person who has their own DAS listed in the others group. So if you all want to ride the same ride you will have to have 2 return times using the 2 DAS passes in order to ride the same ride at the same time. This was something that I haven't experienced before but allegedly was an issue with the system and how it was designed to work. Not a big deal nor a game changer, but definitely something to consider as it has the potential to catch you out.

Just be wary when using more than 1 DAS in the same family / group, depending on how it is set up each DAS will not have the other person who has their own DAS listed in the others group. So if you all want to ride the same ride you will have to have 2 return times using the 2 DAS passes in order to ride the same ride at the same time. This was something that I haven't experienced before but allegedly was an issue with the system and how it was designed to work. Not a big deal nor a game changer, but definitely something to consider as it has the potential to catch you out.

Thank you! We will most likely not request the DAS Pass for him, but instead use it for one of his brothers who is severely hyper and loud and often extremely disruptive in line. He will go on any ride and would never opt out, provided he isn’t waiting to ride. His issues are the exact opposite.

Just getting a DAS for one of them is enough, since you can have 6 people on it. The same person is not allowed to be listed on multiple DAS anyway, and that would end up in too much confusion. Also, as far as your 17 year old, he does not need to request the DAS himself. You can do it for him, with his magicband, and the bands of everyone that will be listed on it. He can wait outside. They will usually take you aside, with their iPad, and you can have them come out to get his photo. I always do that for my adult son, as he feels uncomfortable asking on his own. The DAS recipient does need to be nearby, so their photo can be taken, but the CM will gladly go to where they are waiting. The other people who will be listed on the DAS do not need to be there, but you must have their bands to be scanned.

Just getting a DAS for one of them is enough, since you can have 6 people on it. The same person is not allowed to be listed on multiple DAS anyway, and that would end up in too much confusion. Also, as far as your 17 year old, he does not need to request the DAS himself. You can do it for him, with his magicband, and the bands of everyone that will be listed on it. He can wait outside. They will usually take you aside, with their iPad, and you can have them come out to get his photo. I always do that for my adult son, as he feels uncomfortable asking on his own. The DAS recipient does need to be nearby, so their photo can be taken, but the CM will gladly go to where they are waiting. The other people who will be listed on the DAS do not need to be there, but you must have their bands to be scanned.

Thank you! This is good to know. It may make the difference of him participating more during our visit.

The concern isn’t the number of people, it’s that if there are two or more people with disabilities, and they have different likes/dislikes for rides, you’re better off getting multiple DAS so that one disabled guest doesn’t miss out because the other disabled person doesn’t want to ride a particular attraction.

And while a DAS holder can’t be on more than one DAS, other members of their party most certainly can be. They can’t be attached to more than one return time at a time, but they can be on the multiple DAS. This allows parties with more than one guest with a disability the agility to split up the parties for different attractions, mixing and matching as works best for their group.

Sounds like the OP feels comfortable with having only one DAS, but it’s important that she has all of the correct info to make that decision.

The concern isn’t the number of people, it’s that if there are two or more people with disabilities, and they have different likes/dislikes for rides, you’re better off getting multiple DAS so that one disabled guest doesn’t miss out because the other disabled person doesn’t want to ride a particular attraction.

And while a DAS holder can’t be on more than one DAS, other members of their party most certainly can be. They can’t be attached to more than one return time at a time, but they can be on the multiple DAS. This allows parties with more than one guest with a disability the agility to split up the parties for different attractions, mixing and matching as works best for their group.

Sounds like the OP feels comfortable with having only one DAS, but it’s important that she has all of the correct info to make that decision.

Thank you for this clarification. I still think we might be okay with just one. My DS with severe anxiety seldom will do anything by splitting up. We tried that on Mission Space. He and I tried the mild version and my husband went with the other two on the wild one. They loved it, meanwhile their brother started to sob with me when they started saying “This is your last chance. If you don’t like dark, enclosed spaces, back out now.” I knew right away it just wasn’t going to happen. We never got off the dot and into the ship. On our second trip, he agreed to try it, but only if everyone went and he could sit in between Mom & Dad. We managed to get him to do it, but he still nearly backed out a few times. I’m the one who generally leaves an attraction if he can’t handle it and, I’m okay with that. DH is great with the boys, but can get impatient when they react in a way he deems irrational.

And while a DAS holder can’t be on more than one DAS, other members of their party most certainly can be.

I don't believe this is accurate information. You can get away with putting the same guests on multiple DAS if you are not getting them at the same time. However, if you are getting more than one DAS at the same time, they have never allowed us to add the same guests to multiple DAS. I have not read Disney's official policy on this, which is why I'm sticking to saying I don't believe it's the case, rather than I know for sure. Disney is nothing if not inconsistent in their enforcement of policies.

Last time I was at Disney I was with another person with a DAS and one without so we had 3 in all 2 with DAS they would only let the none DAS holder on one DAS, it really did not matter to us as this was a short trip and we all pretty much do the same rides ( I do a little more than the other DAS holder) but in case the CM said they can only add one person to the DAS

Last time I was at Disney I was with another person with a DAS and one without so we had 3 in all 2 with DAS they would only let the none DAS holder on one DAS, it really did not matter to us as this was a short trip and we all pretty much do the same rides ( I do a little more than the other DAS holder) but in case the CM said they can only add one person to the DAS

This has been our experience as well, and we go quite often. We only have to renew DAS every 60 days, due to having APs, but if we go to renew together, extra guests (non DAS holders) have to choose only one person's DAS to be on.

I realize that the pinned post says otherwise, but I'm just speaking from personal experience.

We have gotten our DAS renewed at different days/times, at which time non DAS holder guests (despite being already a guest on another DAS) were allowed to be added. It doesn't really matter with us either, but wanted to pass on the information as we have experienced it. I admit I don't know the official policy on the situation.

Last edited:
I don't believe this is accurate information. You can get away with putting the same guests on multiple DAS if you are not getting them at the same time. However, if you are getting more than one DAS at the same time, they have never allowed us to add the same guests to multiple DAS. I have not read Disney's official policy on this, which is why I'm sticking to saying I don't believe it's the case, rather than I know for sure. Disney is nothing if not inconsistent in their enforcement of policies.

A DAS-holder cannot be listed “on” anyone else’s DAS.
The rest of the party (not with their own DAS) can be listed “on” multiple DAS. By this it is essentially a link as traveling-with.
For any given attraction, each individual may only have 1 DAS return-time active.

So if I am traveling with A and B, who both have a DAS, we have the following scenarios:
  • A and B both get a DAS return-time for the same ride (7DMT), I have a return-time linked with A. All 3 of us ride.
  • A gets a return time for Space Mtn but B doesn’t want to ride Space Mtn and instead B gets a return time for Buzz. I have to choose which ride to do because I can’t have a return time for both. I opt for Buzz with B.
  • Next B goes back to the resort for a rest. I stay in the park with A and we get a return time for HM.
Notice that I was listed on both DAS by Guest Relations but I can only have an active return time on one or the other. But by being listed on both DAS I’m not limited with whom I can ride.

OP - if there is any chance your party may split up or one of your sons may not want to do a ride, I would request separate DAS for each. Just be ready to explain why each needs the DAS, not their diagnosis.

Enjoy your vacation!

The rest of the party (not with their own DAS) can be listed “on” multiple DAS. By this it is essentially a link as traveling-with.
For any given attraction, each individual may only have 1 DAS return-time active.

So if I am traveling with A and B, who both have a DAS, we have the following scenarios:
  • A and B both get a DAS return-time for the same ride (7DMT), I have a return-time linked with A. All 3 of us ride.
  • A gets a return time for Space Mtn but B doesn’t want to ride Space Mtn and instead B gets a return time for Buzz. I have to choose which ride to do because I can’t have a return time for both. I opt for Buzz with B.
  • Next B goes back to the resort for a rest. I stay in the park with A and we get a return time for HM.
Notice that I was listed on both DAS by Guest Relations but I can only have an active return time on one or the other. But by being listed on both DAS I’m not limited with whom I can ride.

OP - if there is any chance your party may split up or one of your sons may not want to do a ride, I would request separate DAS for each. Just be ready to explain why each needs the DAS, not their diagnosis.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for this! We honestly tried to split up for an attraction once—Mission Space—and it was a disaster. We haven’t split up for any attraction since, but I suppose it could happen, so it’s helpful to know I should be prepared.

Thank you! This makes sense. I did read through the pinned post on DAS, but it was from 2014, so I wasn’t sure if anything had changed from what was mentioned there.
That post is updated as changes occur.
The WDW one says in the title that it was updated 6/18/15, which was when the last big change by Disney was made. That change was attaching DAS to Magicbands. The thread has been edited since then as small changes happened, but i didn’t change the title.

Enjoy your vacation!

So we were told today that we could not be listed on more than one das account (das holders were not listed on each other’s just the traveling parties). Can anyone verify that we can be listed on more than one das holders account???

Just get the DAS for the one who will ride anything. It is much easier that way. I have 2 autistic sons but one doesn't like all the rides, while the other mostly does. We get it for the son who will ride more things, and he also happens to have more severe issues, so it works out.

So we were told today that we could not be listed on more than one das account (das holders were not listed on each other’s just the traveling parties). Can anyone verify that we can be listed on more than one das holders account???
I have a DAS and I have gone down with 2 friends one has a DAS. we were also told my friend that dose not have a DAS can only be put on one DAS We ended up putting her on mine since the other DAS holder is in a wheelchair and can not transfer so can only do a very limited number of rides while I can do pretty much any ride

Not sure if the CM is right it really did not bother us as it was a short race weekend trip and rides was not out top priority

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter