Trip with infant - AOA or monorail resort?

manicmonkey

Mouseketeer
We've done WDW before and stayed at BW, loved being able to walk to EP and HS. Planning on going when our baby is 8 months old and I'm undecided on what would work best. A family suite at AOA to have some room, Kidani Villa 1 bd also for the room, BC to stick with the EP area we love, or a monorail resort for ease of transportation (specifically considering CR). Planning on 6 nights. Any thoughts? Thanks!

If there are no other kids and it’s just the baby it seems to me like an AoA suite would be overkill. If you’re spending most of the time at MK a monorail resort would probably be best, specifically CR because you can just walk back from MK if the baby is sleeping. No need to take him/her out of the stroller. This of course won’t apply to the other parks but it is a nice perk.

I guess it depends on what park you spend the most time in. If you're going to be at MK most of the time, sure go monorail. If you're like me and get park hoppers just to go to epcot every evening, then I vote EP area.

Worth noting that monorail is fine for MK, and you transfer for Epcot, but the monorail resorts have somewhat uneven busing for AK and DHS. There is no resort with 100% convenient/easy transport to everywhere.

Welcome to the Dis!!! :welcome:

You have listed some wonderful options! Here are my thoughts:

With an 8 month old baby, convenience is critical so I would focus on the resorts that get me where I want to go in the easiest, least disturbing to baby, manner possible. Of your choices I would be inclined to stay at the CR as first choice and the BC as second. The monorail or walking are the easiest ways to get around WDW with a stroller, IMO. There is no other resort as convenient to the MK as the CR - especially when you have a stroller to maneuver. A TPV tower room will give you a huge room with a terrific view from a spacious balcony. You can relax out there in the evening and during afternoon naps while baby is asleep. It is a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the spectacular view and evening fireworks. Request a high floor for the quietest room.

The main drawbacks at the CR are the basic pool area and the small elevator that you will need to take to get to the monorail level. Although, TBH, you will need to take an elevator to get to the monorail at the Poly or the GF as well, but these elevators are a bit distant from the monorail so don't feel as problematic somehow. The pool, although plain, has lovely views over the lake, and has always been peaceful when we stayed at the CR, especially relative to the Poly volcano pool which can get 'busy'. Also noteworthy: To go from the CR to Epcot you need to change monorail lines at the TTC. You might want to consider the Poly if you plan to visit Epcot often as you can walk from there to the Epcot monorail, thus avoiding the change at the TTC. The main problem with the Poly is the risk of no balcony - that would be a huge issue with a napping baby, IMO.

BC is in a great area, as you know, for Epcot and DHS. The problem here is the bus to the MK. If you plan on visiting the MK more often now baby is here, using the bus with a stroller is a bit cumbersome because you have to fold and unfold it every time you use the bus. Another issue is room size. You mentioned wanting extra space, but the rooms at BC are significantly smaller than the rooms in the MK resorts. Personally, I believe that you would still be able to manage, but there is less room. Then the balconies at the BC come in full size and tiny "Juliet" balconies with only enough room for one person to stand out there. Not a useful relaxing place for Mom and Dad to enjoy a glass of wine or a coffee while baby is sleeping. IMHO, you would really enjoy this balcony space when baby is asleep (and you are not), so any risk of paying deluxe and not getting a balcony would be a deal breaker for me. If you want the Epcot area and have already stayed at the BWI, I would suggest the YC over the BC. It is also at the end of Storm Along Bay with the sandy toddler shallow area. (It's a slightly longer walk to Epcot but only by a few minutes.)

I wouldn't do a Kidani villa simply because you would have to bus everywhere. Save for a later visit, IMO. But if you really want a separate bedroom and living area, this would be the choice that provides the living area you want in a peaceful setting.

AoA looks fun but would better work when baby is a bit older, IMO. There will be a lot of stimulation in the theme parks for your little one. A more relaxing place to rest and sleep would be the better choice for 'home' for an eight month old, IMO. AoA is a value resort and, while these are fun, they can be busy and offer less refuge from the hustle and bustle that pervades much of WDW.

Enjoy planning your trip!!!

Last edited:
Take a look at your park touring plans and choose a resort from there. As PP's have said, with a child that young, convenience is key. The monorail resorts give you the added advantage of not only taking the monorail to MK, but also to TTC to get the EP monorail. EP resorts have the advantage of walking or boating to EP and DHS. If you'd like some extra space, consider a 1-bedroom villa at BLT if you would like a monorail resort or a 1-bedroom villa at BWV or BCV if you'd like to be in the EP area. I, personally, would take AKV and AoA off the list for now to eliminate buses as much as possible.

If the money is the same to you either way, I would vote for a monorail resort. I didn't realize how awesome those are with a stroller until I tried one out myself. Now I don't want to stay in any other resort type until our kids are out of a stroller.

Thanks all, you confirmed my suspicions that AKL and AOA were not the best choices. My husband saw the theming of AOA and was really excited (his fav movie is Finding Nemo). I think both will be great once little one is older.

MK and EP are the top parks for us anyway, so monorail does seem to make the most sense. We used to end each day at EP, but now with an early bedtimer, I don't think that'll happen :)

Oh see I would go with a car and drive everywhere. If my son wanted to leave somewhere he was vocal about it, and I had no interest in letting others share in that.

And that way I could choose the ferry from ttc to mk. More open, less trapped in.

Thanks all, you confirmed my suspicions that AKL and AOA were not the best choices. My husband saw the theming of AOA and was really excited (his fav movie is Finding Nemo). I think both will be great once little one is older.

MK and EP are the top parks for us anyway, so monorail does seem to make the most sense. We used to end each day at EP, but now with an early bedtimer, I don't think that'll happen :)

If MK and EP are your top parks, you may want to consider Poly, though there are no 1-bedroom villas there. From Poly you can monorail to MK and walk to TTC to monorail to EP. It's super convenient. Quite honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the monorail at CR when you are using a stroller or ECV as there is one, tiny elevator that everyone with an ECV or stroller has to use to get to the monorail platform. GF will give you monorail access to MK and to the TTC to transfer to the EP monorail. My DS's first trip, when he was 1, was to Poly and it was super convenient.

And if you’re staying at CR why would you not just walk to and from MK?
We definitely would.

If MK and EP are your top parks, you may want to consider Poly, though there are no 1-bedroom villas there. From Poly you can monorail to MK and walk to TTC to monorail to EP. It's super convenient. Quite honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the monorail at CR when you are using a stroller or ECV as there is one, tiny elevator that everyone with an ECV or stroller has to use to get to the monorail platform. GF will give you monorail access to MK and to the TTC to transfer to the EP monorail. My DS's first trip, when he was 1, was to Poly and it was super convenient.
Yes looking at Poly, that's a great option. Based on availability, I have it narrowed down to CR lake view or Poly Villa studio!

Yes looking at Poly, that's a great option. Based on availability, I have it narrowed down to CR lake view or Poly Villa studio!

A Poly studio has space arranged a bit differently. It has one and a half bathrooms (only one toilet). If I'm not mistaken, the second bathroom has been used by some folks to put a crib or pack and play in for a sleeping baby. Not sure if this set up would work for you or not. The rooms that are now studios were once regular hotel rooms at the Poly, so it is the same floor space, reallocated. There is a mini kitchenette, a fold out sofa bed, a pull down trundle under the TV and a queen bed. There is very little storage space. Every room has a balcony and they are very convenient for walking to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. I would take a look at floor plans for the poly studios online to determine if you would enjoy a stay in one of these.

I'd pick an Epcot resort, preferably Swan/Dolphin. Or maybe Contemporary. Being able to walk into a park is way more convenient than anything, especially with a kid. The monorail waits can be long/inconsistent, and folding up a stroller on a bus is annoying.

If there are no other children, then i'd definitely go with a monorail resort. AoA suites are pretty expensive. For that amount of money you're better off at a deluxe.

Here is our findings. When we took our first trip with our 1st DD (6 months) we did POLY because we kept hearing it's so much easier. We had a great trip and the monorail was easy. We also tried going back to the room for an afternoon break and that was a total failure, either DD would not sleep or fell asleep and then woke up etc. it made us all miserable and we found just letting her sleep in the stroller while at the park worked great. She slept and we would take a snack break or do some shopping etc. We had a wonderful trip:) Well 3 months later we took a last minute trip with another couple and stayed at ASMU, where we had to use buses every where and heard so many stories of how difficult it was with an infant and stroller:( Well, we had a great trip and found it was NOT difficult using the buses. So, transportation, for us, is not a big deal.

Here is our findings. When we took our first trip with our 1st DD (6 months) we did POLY because we kept hearing it's so much easier. We had a great trip and the monorail was easy. We also tried going back to the room for an afternoon break and that was a total failure, either DD would not sleep or fell asleep and then woke up etc. it made us all miserable and we found just letting her sleep in the stroller while at the park worked great. She slept and we would take a snack break or do some shopping etc. We had a wonderful trip:) Well 3 months later we took a last minute trip with another couple and stayed at ASMU, where we had to use buses every where and heard so many stories of how difficult it was with an infant and stroller:( Well, we had a great trip and found it was NOT difficult using the buses. So, transportation, for us, is not a big deal.

We feel the exact same.

We definitely would.

Great choices! We went to Disney many times with babies and strollers. We did find the monorail resorts and Epcot resorts made our overall trip a lot more relaxing. Especially at night if we wanted to go back to a park. Just put the baby in the stroller and walk or monorail to a park, knowing that we could easily just walk back later on that night. Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter