Trip Report (Day 2:19 May 2003)

KK Cat

Mouseketeer
Disneyland Resort Paris Trip Report

Day 2 (Monday 19 May 2003)

Cast: Me (Anne-Marie 35), my Mum Breda, nephew Patrick (11) and niece Jade (7)

Staying at: Hotel Cheyenne

I had alarm set for 6.30, and it was so hard to get up, I was really comfortable, but when you’re sharing a bathroom with 3 others and need to be in the village at 8, I forced myself out of it. Guess what, it was still raining!!! We reached Café Mickey in the village where our Character Breakfast was at about 5 minutes to 8, and were seated straight away. I would really recommend the 8 o’clock sitting as we had time to actually have breakfast started before any characters arrived. When we were in WDW our breakfast was 10.30 and the kids were so enthralled by the characters, they didn’t have time to eat, and then were crying for food an hour later (wish I’d had the nerve to bring some food out after paying for it, but guilt got the better of me). Breakfast was lovely, but not as exciting as in WDW. Mickey and Goofy came about 8.20 and came around, there was such a gap then to the next characters that we thought that’s all there was and were almost ready to leave, when Chip’n’Dale and Capt. Hook turned up. It definitely wasn’t as special as the Character Breakfast in Chef Mickey’s in WDW, but that time there were 22 of us (yes 22, you read that right!) and we had 2 birthdays with cakes, my cousin who was 31 and his daughter who was 5, and everybody in the restaurant sang the ‘Celebrate with Mickey’ song and swung their napkins in the air, I don’t know if they always do that or only if there’s a birthday?

We spent more time in shops in the village hoping the rain would ease a bit, but eventually gave up and went to the Disneyland Park anyway at about 10 a.m. There were lots of different characters in the Town Square so out came the autograph books. Patrick and Jade are 1st cousins, my brothers children, and Jade has a 5 yr old sister Mikaela, who had the option of coming with us, but chose to stay at home instead, she is a little young at 5 to stay away from Mum and Dad for 5 days, but maybe next time. Patrick was getting autographs on her behalf as he already has his book from WDW. He took this job seriously and by the time we got home the only people we missed that I can think of were Daisy Duck (who never made an appearance at all during our trip), Cinderella who we never quite caught up with though we did see her in the parade, and of course Sully and a few others who cannot write. As many others have said before the lack of queuing in Paris is one huge difference compared to WDW, it really is a shame that there isn’t something done about this, as so many children get really upset in the pushing and shoving. WDW is a pleasure getting autographs compared to Paris. At first we made the children wait their turn, but it never came, so in the end they had to shove their way in like the rest of ‘em, or they would never get anywhere, I hated to have them do this, but there was literally no other choice.

We headed to Fantasyland after this as we were hoping to get a Fastpass for Peter Pan (queue’s were too long Sunday evening), but Peter Pan was closed due to electrical problems, and Dumbo and the Tea Cups were also closed so we headed to ‘it’s a small world’, I really liked this much more than the one in WDW, it seemed much brighter and bigger. After that we did Casey Jr- le petit train du Cirque, this was our only big wait during the whole trip, 45 mins in the rain, it was so heavy that half way in we would have called it quits, but there really wasn’t any way to get out. This queue was full of very small and upset little children. I felt so sorry for them and their parents, everyone was miserable in this queue but it seems especially bad with toddlers. This was a lovely ride when we eventually got on, but we had a carriage with a roof, and the couple in front of us in the queue with 2 toddlers, were given an open-air carriage. I would have liked to swap to give them a little comfort, but we weren’t given time. It is a really pretty train and ride, and lasted longer than I expected, it was just a pity about the rain. At this point it was around 2 p.m. and we were so wet we headed back to the hotel to dry off and have a rest and something to eat. As we had such a good breakfast we just had some snacks in the room (we’re Irish, we had to bring a travel kettle, couldn’t do without the cuppa!!!) we had Pot Noodles and Hot Cups etc in case the kids were fussy about the food available.

We headed back out about 4 in a heavy downpour, but when we got off the shuttle bus, the rain stopped!!!! It really didn’t rain much after this for the rest of our trip and it made such a difference. We headed back to Disneyland Park and this time all the rides in Fantasyland were back in action, we did the Tea Cups twice, Dumbo, Pinocchio (this isn’t in WDW, but is similar in layout and style to Snow White) and Peter Pan. We had to wait about 20 mins for Peter Pan, but mostly during our stay we were able to walk onto rides without waiting. I really love the Peter Pan ride, it is one of my favourites, both because I love the story and the ride itself, Jade loved the flying (“Are we REALLY flying? Is that REALLY Big Ben?”) another go of Pirates of the Caribbean and small world and we started walking back slowly as it was almost 8 p.m.and the park was due to close. As we were at small world, we were heading out through Discoveryland and at Fantasia Gelati ice cream shop we found loads of characters (about 10 I think) signing autographs and dancing with about 5 children and a few accompanying adults. This was really lovely as they were there for ages (we eventually left at 8.15 and they were still there). There was Tigger, Friar Tuck, Flora, Fauna, Rafiki, Big Bad Wolf and I can’t remember who else. It was really a pleasure meeting these characters and felt very special as we had them almost to ourselves. I had the camcorder and they kept coming over to me to act up and dance for the camera when there were no children waiting for them. This was a perfect end to the evening in the park.

McDonald’s in the village re-opened today, after being closed for a month (I’m not sure what they did as I haven’t been there before, but nothing looked especially new). We ate in McDonalds as it was quick and handy, everywhere else was too busy as we left at closing time. We stayed in the village until 11 p.m. shopping. As 5 yr old Mikaela chose not to come with us, we had promised to bring her back “Hi-Ho’s like Nanny’s” (otherwise known as the 7 dwarfs or even les sept nains, seeing as we’re in France), so we duly purchased Joyeux (Happy), Grincheaux (Grumpy), Atchoum (Sneezy), Prof (Doc), Dormeur (Sleepy), Timide (Bashful) and her very favourite Simplet (Dopey). They are just so cute, they were 15 Euro each. Mum had bought the 7 in WDW, where they had a choice of sizes, she got the bean bag ones about 10 in. high, but in Paris they only had this one size about 12 in. high and they stand up alone. I was surprised at first that the names were in French, but then why wouldn’t they be! Jade then had fun trying on all the Princess Dresses and we took her picture in each, in the end she chose Jasmine (because her favourite colour is purple and you can see her belly button through the outfit, good a reason as any I suppose), it was a tough choice between the Little Mermaid (Le Petit Sirene) wedding dress and Jasmine. The dresses here don’t seem to be of the same quality and detail as those in WDW, but they are cheaper I think at 42 Euro? They don’t have matching shoes in Paris either, but did have the wands, tiaras, handbags etc. Mikaela had left orders for Tinkerbell, so we got that too. Actually Mikaela’s first choice was a Dopey outfit (now how many 5 yr old girls would chose Dopey over a Princess dress?), but they don’t do those so Tinkerbell was her next choice. The Princess dresses were everywhere (well it was Princess’ Week) but we hardly ever saw the Minnie or Mickey outfits. And so to bed, end of Day 2…………………

At last the rain stopped!!! It does make an incredible difference doesn't it?

I am amazed at how many characters you saw in the park - apart from the parades! It is a great pity they don't do more to properly organise the character greeting - on our first visit, I forewarned our sons that it was difficult to get to the characters in DLP and since they'd got so many autographs in WDW, we'd probably not even try, and I'm glad I told them that.

I notice that whereas in WDW the characters have a minder who actively gives assistance to the characters, the minders in DLP are VERY laid back - they literally take the character to the greeting spot and merge with the background until it's time to guide the character away.

LOL @ Mikaela wanting a Dopey outfit - bless her!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter