Trip report 7/1-7/5

katyringo

DIS Veteran
Here is my trip report from this past week. I will just hit the big things. This is our 3rd trip in 3 years.

We are maxpass fans and will never do a trip without it. We did 5 day hoppers with maxpass.
And we were soo tired. Lol. We stayed at the hojo in building 1, a bunk bed room. A couple things we would do differently

-not go to the parks the day we fly in and add a rest day if we are doing 5 days. When it was just us we were fine with 5 days in a row but with the kids it was ALOT.

- we really liked the hojo room and their pool
Area, but man that walk after a long day feels like a thousand miles. I know it’s only a block or so, but man. We both agreed we would like to try park vue or Beat western park place next time.

-we accomplished a lot in the mornings. My son rode incredicoaster 9 times in 5 days. It was his favorite.

-we used Mobil ordering for all our QS meals. Highly recommend. For example award wieners’ line was completely full 15 minutes before opening one of our park days. I Mobil ordered for pick up at opening and was the first to have my food.

Speaking of QS, we did a lot this trip and less table service. We tried award wieners, jolly holiday, horseshoe, flo’s, hungry bear, tropical hideaway and bangle BBQ, cozy come, ronto roasters, and guess we aren’t hard to please because we enjoyed them all. The pot pie at flo’s really stood out to me. In fact I think flo’s was everyone’s favorite. The only gripe I have is I feel all these places have limited kid options. We ended up ordering 1 adult meal for my kids to share many times.

Our ADR places were blue bayou fantasmic, plaza inn character breakfast, lamplight, and donals seaside breakfast. We had great character interactions at both character meals. Donalds is always our favorite because of stitch and at Minnie’s we saw a TON of characters. We were a bit bummed at blue bayou in their lunch fantasmic menu change. No more pork loin or gumbo. Our waitress was very nice. The pork loin is no longer available at BB period. But the gumbo is so she did make us that. We ordered the steak and the lamb and both were very good. Again I guess we aren’t hard to please. Our favorite, however continues to be lamplight. The lobster nachos, the piggy wings and the potato cakes really hit the spot after a long day.

We also did the WOC dessert party. We had a 2 year old with us. Previous reports said they gave a plate to the 2 year old. This did not happen for us. Which was fine. There was plenty to share. One very weird thing was that my raspberry filled cookie had no filling. It’s good though because between all of us we just swapped around desserts so everyone had something they really liked. The bread was so hard though. The view can’t be beat tho and I’ll do it again.

Snacks: new snacks I tried was the corn on a stick thing with spicy mayo from cozy cone. It was good! We tried the dole whip donout at jolly holiday. My son enjoyed it! Matterhorn macaroon. I didn’t know it was coconut. So I wasn’t a fan. We tried the sorcerer Mickey shake from smoothies place. It was a good cookies and cream shake. Lol. We weren’t a fan of the big sorcerer donut from the same place.

We mostly encountered great CM’s. In fact I need to email about one, Isabella, at the luigi’s Tires ride who was amazing with my kids.

I had one run in with what I thought was a very rude and sarcastic CM at minnie’s House. It was about 5-10 minutes until her meet at greet and people were starting to show up. I asked nicely where we should stand as we’ve never done this before. The CM was like “there is no line so whenever or you can look inside her house until she gets here” okay no problem. So I stand around, but of course a line is starting to form. So I jump in the non exsisant line. Before you know it, we’ve formed a nice and organized line. Well then the CM comes out and says “well since we don’t pre form lines here at Disneyland we are staring the line over here” she was very sarcastic and loud. The tone was not friendly at all. And her actions just confused everybody and then there was a rush to the “new line” and families being split up. It would have been so much friendlier and nicer for he to just lead the self formed line to the correct place. Everyone there was upset with the CM and irritated at her tone. A couple of families left the area angry.

My husband thought the SWGE CM was rude.

Spewing of SWGE- we went separately on 2 different nights. You can go to the thread to see our very different opinions. I loved it. We however failed to get on the ride. Single rider was a long wait and the rides wait time never really hit under an hour. For us with Littles it just wasn’t happening this trip. It also felt like quite a trek back there and back. I used the train to get closer and get back to Main Street.

4th of July in Disneyland was really fun. We did the WOC dessert party that night for the 4th of July show. We were not disappointed. It was really cool. Then enjoyed WOC. Then we walked back to the exit of DCA, where we could see the Disneyland fireworks! It was like a 3 for 1! However after they were done it was like a mob of people exiting all at once and they had 1 single exit open. So it felt a bit crunched.

We rode soarin over CA, which don’t hate me, but it felt a lot less smoother then soaring over the world. I did however enjoy it and the orange smell!!

We also rode hyperspace mountain! Boy was that fun!!!

We really enjoyed our trip. Not sure when we will get back :( we are working on buying a house now and I think hubby wants to do something different “Disney” like world or a cruise. Idk.. I’m perfectly content with my Disneyland :).

Love your report! Gives me some ideas for future trips! :) No gumbo at the BB Fantasmic lunch would be a dealbreaker for us, especially DH! Guess we'll need to stick with dinner for that package. I'm glad they were still able to make it for you anyway.

How do you like going for 5 days straight? It sounds like you've done it a couple times. The most we've ever done in a row at DLR is 2, so the concept is kind of foreign to us. We're planning on 5 day PH with MP for our 10th wedding anniversary trip next June. I've read some people say that 5 days is too much, but I think we'll love doing everything at a slower pace and filling more in. Just curious to hear your thoughts. Side note - we don't have kids yet, so I know that makes it different.

Love your report! Gives me some ideas for future trips! :) No gumbo at the BB Fantasmic lunch would be a dealbreaker for us, especially DH! Guess we'll need to stick with dinner for that package. I'm glad they were still able to make it for you anyway.

How do you like going for 5 days straight? It sounds like you've done it a couple times. The most we've ever done in a row at DLR is 2, so the concept is kind of foreign to us. We're planning on 5 day PH with MP for our 10th wedding anniversary trip next June. I've read some people say that 5 days is too much, but I think we'll love doing everything at a slower pace and filling more in. Just curious to hear your thoughts. Side note - we don't have kids yet, so I know that makes it different.

5 days was a lot with the kids. We will still do 5 days but add a rest day in there. When we went along 5 days was awesome. We did so so much. We had a day where we only went on 1-2 rides and the rest of the time we went and found shows and characters. With the kids it allowed us flexibility to hit the parks in the morning when it’s slow and then go to the pool in the afternoon and then return for dinner and more stuff. I don’t like the feel rushed, but still want to experience it all and 5 days let’s us do that!

Great trip report! We always love the Hojo. We learned on our first go around that the shuttle back and forth was worth it after a long day. We hate the idea of going to a different hotel that isn't one of the DL ones, ad the shuttle is so inexpensive.

Great trip report! We always love the Hojo. We learned on our first go around that the shuttle back and forth was worth it after a long day. We hate the idea of going to a different hotel that isn't one of the DL ones, ad the shuttle is so inexpensive.
Yes I wish I had looked into the shuttle before our trip.

Yes I wish I had looked into the shuttle before our trip.
I know in the past we were always able to buy tickets right at the front desk of the Hojo. Always something to check on, but I remember our first trip, two dead parents, shuffling up and asking for tickets. I think we could have kissed the receptionist. It was pathetically bad. 😁

We overlapped with you! Had a great trip as well from July2-4th. Missed the fireworks but needed to get home to prep for another trip. I don't think you need to worry about upsetting anyone on this forum with a preference for a DL version of a ride, LOL. I was so excited to see Soaring over CA back--I think it's so much better. There isn't any of the distortion that there is in the world and things don't look so obviously photoshopped in. I'll never forget the first time I rode the World version. I was seated in one of the worst seats (far end on bottom row) and when it came to the Eiffel tower and monument valley I thought there had been an error. I literally couldn't believe someone sat in that seat and said it was fine during quality control. The CM didn't know what to say to my confusion. I still can't believe they have something that is so distorted up there. I hope Disneyland keeps the CA version. I took to Twitter with my plea :)

We overlapped with you! Had a great trip as well from July2-4th. Missed the fireworks but needed to get home to prep for another trip. I don't think you need to worry about upsetting anyone on this forum with a preference for a DL version of a ride, LOL. I was so excited to see Soaring over CA back--I think it's so much better. There isn't any of the distortion that there is in the world and things don't look so obviously photoshopped in. I'll never forget the first time I rode the World version. I was seated in one of the worst seats (far end on bottom row) and when it came to the Eiffel tower and monument valley I thought there had been an error. I literally couldn't believe someone sat in that seat and said it was fine during quality control. The CM didn't know what to say to my confusion. I still can't believe they have something that is so distorted up there. I hope Disneyland keeps the CA version. I took to Twitter with my plea :)

I liked the videos better in the CA version, I just missed the fun transitions that world has. The first time I rode soaring we got lucky with the perfect seats so I couldn’t understand everyone’s distaste for it. But then our second trip we didn’t have good seats and I understood lol!

Thanks for the great trip report... it always helps to read what other have done and experienced...

And yes 5 days hoppers without a rest day is hard... in fact we did it last summer... and guess what we do for our next day: plan for a rest day in between our 5 Park days :rolleyes: ...
i also wanna try out mobile ordering in our next trip... sounds really helpful...

One question about lunch at BB (we also plan to do that) so if there is no gumbo anymore... what else is there as a starter? Is there still a choice what to eat? (I am a bit of a picky eater and loved the gumbo last year so I am a bit bummed now...)

Thanks for the great trip report... it always helps to read what other have done and experienced...

And yes 5 days hoppers without a rest day is hard... in fact we did it last summer... and guess what we do for our next day: plan for a rest day in between our 5 Park days :rolleyes: ...
i also wanna try out mobile ordering in our next trip... sounds really helpful...

One question about lunch at BB (we also plan to do that) so if there is no gumbo anymore... what else is there as a starter? Is there still a choice what to eat? (I am a bit of a picky eater and loved the gumbo last year so I am a bit bummed now...)

I really wish I would have taken a picture of the menu but if memory serves me right it was just a choice of salad or an upgrade to the calamari. There may have been another choice but I just don’t remember.

For what’s its worth I asked for the gumbo and they brought it. I just said I was bummed because we just did the same package in November and the gumbo was so good.

And all the main dishes are the same just not pork loin offered.

5 days was a lot with the kids. We will still do 5 days but add a rest day in there. When we went along 5 days was awesome. We did so so much. We had a day where we only went on 1-2 rides and the rest of the time we went and found shows and characters. With the kids it allowed us flexibility to hit the parks in the morning when it’s slow and then go to the pool in the afternoon and then return for dinner and more stuff. I don’t like the feel rushed, but still want to experience it all and 5 days let’s us do that!

5 days is definitely sounding great to me! :) I love the idea of spending a day doing mostly non-ride stuff!

Do you think the rest day would be a good idea even without kids? We have pretty decent stamina, but that's something I'm trying to decide.

I liked the videos better in the CA version, I just missed the fun transitions that world has. The first time I rode soaring we got lucky with the perfect seats so I couldn’t understand everyone’s distaste for it. But then our second trip we didn’t have good seats and I understood lol!

Have they cleaned up the CA video? I remember it just had all these black flecks on it towards the end sometime. I wasn't sure if they fixed it up before it changed to world or not.

5 days is definitely sounding great to me! :) I love the idea of spending a day doing mostly non-ride stuff!

Do you think the rest day would be a good idea even without kids? We have pretty decent stamina, but that's something I'm trying to decide.

Have they cleaned up the CA video? I remember it just had all these black flecks on it towards the end sometime. I wasn't sure if they fixed it up before it changed to world or not.

I don’t remember any black flecks.

I don’t think a rest day is a bad ideA, but my husband and I did 5 days just us in November and we were fine. We could take a break whenever we wanted..

I guess it depends on your touring style if you „need“ a rest day...
if you manage to have some „decent“ rest/ break periods you‘ll do fine... but if I am at the parks, I have trouble to rest and do a real break because I don’t wanna miss out on anything and „waste“ time sleeping...(yes I know not the most mature mindset but we are at DL and I feel like a 6 year old...)
We were 3 adults (last year all 3 of us were fit enough to run at least a half marathon...) but walking a half marathon and standing in queues the whole day without much sitting is a whole different story in our opinion... we didn’t do hotel breaks...(we did a lunch break to rest a bit and enjoy a qs meal... and of course stopped for some snacks in between... but no napping time or pool break...)
It was summer time so long hours and that means a lot of walking and not much sleep... so I am looking forward to a rest day for our next trip...
And I plan on doing more shows and music listening on our next trip (Christmas season) and less rides... let’s see how long that idea works out...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter