Trip Insurance

CathieForman

Earning My Ears
I am looking into trip insurance for my upcoming cruise in May and really don't know where to start as I have never purchased it before. DD and I will be cruising on the Dream May 6. What should I be looking for regards to insurance? Do I include air cost, pre cruise hotel and rental car in the total or cruise cost only? My final cruise payment is due next week so I need to get this before I make the payment, correct?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi!!!! You are on the same cruise my DS and I are on! :banana: Aren't you getting so excited!! I can barely stand it!!!! Anyway I bought my insurance Monday I'm a vet so I used USAA it cost me $39 total and covered everything EXCEPT pre existing conditions. This wasn't a deal breaker for me as we don't have any.
I believe insuremytrip.com is one that many suggest here if USAA is not an option for you!

Include the prepaid, nonrefundable trip costs when figuring the amount of insurance coverage needed. If your hotel and rental car are cancellable, then don't include them. If you want your flights to be covered, you need to include the cost of those. If you or a non-traveling family member has any pre-existing health conditions, you won't get the waiver of pre-existing conditions unless you purchase the insurance from a few companies - such as CSA or HTH Worldwide.

I get my insurance from the Trip Insurance Store (www.tripinsurancestore.com). Their web site has a lot of helpful information.

Wow, you got a great price. I also went to insuremytrip.com. They have many plans. I wound up paying about $185.00 to cover the 5 in our group. I did want pre-existing included. Even though no one in my group has any medical problems, many other family members who will not be with us do. It will not cover you if someone in your family gets ill or dies if they had a pre-exisiting condition if you do not have that coverage.

Oh, and to answer your question CathyForman - I would include all costs. It will not change the premium that much.

Oh, and to answer your question CathyForman - I would include all costs. It will not change the premium that much.

If a hotel or rental car is prepaid and non-refundable, like a Priceline "name your own price" booking, then include it in the trip cost. If you can cancel the hotel until 6 p.m. day of arrival (or some other reasonable timeframe), then don't include the hotel in the trip cost.

Insurance is usually priced in $500 increments per person, so you can round-up without incurring higher premiums. If there are more than 2 people on your cruise, make sure to fully cover the highest cruise cost for the first two people. For example. if the first 2 passengers pay $1000 per person and the 3rd and 4th passengers pay $500 pp - you need $1000 per person in trip coverage - unless you can specify a lower amount for the 3rd and 4th passengers. If you buy $3000 in coverage for the total cruise cost, each person will get $750 in coverage - which leaves the first two passengers underinsured by $250 pp.

It might change the premium a lot if it pushes you over the next $500 increment. (Say it makes the cost $2200 vs $1900). You can buy as much insurance as you want, but you are not going to get reimbursed for it unless you can prove how much you spent and how much you did not get reimbursed. If you insure your hotel and rental car, and don't get charged for either, then the money you paid to cover those is wasted.

Sayhello

Wow, you got a great price. I also went to insuremytrip.com. They have many plans. I wound up paying about $185.00 to cover the 5 in our group. I did want pre-existing included. Even though no one in my group has any medical problems, many other family members who will not be with us do. It will not cover you if someone in your family gets ill or dies if they had a pre-exisiting condition if you do not have that coverage.

Yea but there are only 2 of us and they don't charge for minors. I missed out on covering pre existing because their 21 day window after initial down payment had lapsed. But yea it was so easy and such a great price I told the rep I didn't know why I hadn't done this when traveling before! LOL!

Please make sure you get a policy that includes a large coverage amount for medical evacuations. Disney's standard policy is only $30,000 and that isn't enough. I would rather get $500,000 worth of coverage and not need it (cheaper than through the cruise line, anyway) than to need it and have to pay $20,000 out of my pocket!

Hi!!!! You are on the same cruise my DS and I are on! :banana: Aren't you getting so excited!! I can barely stand it!!!! Anyway I bought my insurance Monday I'm a vet so I used USAA it cost me $39 total and covered everything EXCEPT pre existing conditions. This wasn't a deal breaker for me as we don't have any.
I believe insuremytrip.com is one that many suggest here if USAA is not an option for you!

Thanks for the info. I got a quote for $56 which I don't think is too bad.

How cool that we are on the same cruise. There is a facebook group for our cruise and a thread on the meet section. I am getting very excited. Only 78 more days!!!

I am looking into trip insurance for my upcoming cruise in May and really don't know where to start as I have never purchased it before. DD and I will be cruising on the Dream May 6. What should I be looking for regards to insurance? Do I include air cost, pre cruise hotel and rental car in the total or cruise cost only? My final cruise payment is due next week so I need to get this before I make the payment, correct?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

If you have nobody in your family who has been sick for any reason in the past 90 days (that includes aging parents who may get suddenly ill and might prevent you from going on your cruise), you can probably get away without pre-existing conditions coverage. If this isn't you, I wouldn't risk it, at least not without breaking out your magnifying glass and going over the policy with a fine tooth comb.

You want to include all non-refundable items, and, if you're renting a car, probably the collision damage waiver as well. So, if the hotel is totally prepaid, include it, and if you'd only be charged for a night or two, include that night or two, and don't worry about the rest. If you book shore excursions through an outside provider (common (and much cheaper) in Alaska, probably wouldn't try it in Mexico), you should include those as well in your total.

If you are within 30 days of your initial deposit, you can get good insurance with pre-existing conditions covered pretty cheaply through TravelInsured, and if you're a vet, or active or reserve serviceperson, if you buy the policy through http://www.usaa.com/, you'll get a small discount. This is probably the best policy if somebody in your family could face deployment, as they do cover military deployments.

If you are more than 30 days out, and you haven't made your final payment yet, and you want (or need) pre-existing conditions coverage, try CSA. You can find TravelInsured, CSA, and other good policies on http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ (they are very good to show you what is good and bad about each policy.). You'll also find good policies at http://www.insuremytrip.com/ , and http://www.squaremouth.com/

Whichever policy you choose, I hope you have safe travels and never need to make a claim :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts