tricky IRS issue any advice

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
we always have our taxes done by a CPA--with last years taxes he had to do an amendment since we recieved an inheirtance from my mom--so the admentment was done

we owed a little more tax so while the amendment was electronically sent we mailed a check this was back in march our bank shows the check clearing on 3-16

so last week we get a letter from the IRS saying they made the changes but now we owe xxx.xx when had already sent them xxx.xx the 2 amounts were less then 2$ different
our CPA looked everything over and said the only thing he could come up with is the fact the check was mailed
now the real problem is trying to get a hold of someone from IRS calling this morning they bascially say they can not take your call at this time and hang up
the letter stated that if we dont agree with what it says to call by 6-13 well were trying but cant get a hold of anyone I checked the IRS website which which there was a spot of check on amendments when I went that route it said it could not give out any info and to call!!!

we dont know where else to turn or what to do--one thing I read that it could take up to 16 weeks for an amendment to process well by that time were past the 6-13 deadline
the difference in the 2 amounts according to our CPA is for interest--
and this is very strange both my DH and myself got the exact same letter we file jointly so why are we both getting this

you think your doing everything right and its still a mess--
any advice would really help
thanks all

we always have our taxes done by a CPA--with last years taxes he had to do an amendment since we recieved an inheirtance from my mom--so the admentment was done

we owed a little more tax so while the amendment was electronically sent we mailed a check this was back in march our bank shows the check clearing on 3-16

so last week we get a letter from the IRS saying they made the changes but now we owe xxx.xx when had already sent them xxx.xx the 2 amounts were less then 2$ different
our CPA looked everything over and said the only thing he could come up with is the fact the check was mailed
now the real problem is trying to get a hold of someone from IRS calling this morning they bascially say they can not take your call at this time and hang up
the letter stated that if we dont agree with what it says to call by 6-13 well were trying but cant get a hold of anyone I checked the IRS website which which there was a spot of check on amendments when I went that route it said it could not give out any info and to call!!!

we dont know where else to turn or what to do--one thing I read that it could take up to 16 weeks for an amendment to process well by that time were past the 6-13 deadline
the difference in the 2 amounts according to our CPA is for interest--
and this is very strange both my DH and myself got the exact same letter we file jointly so why are we both getting this

you think your doing everything right and its still a mess--
any advice would really help
thanks all
Contact your local IRS Taxpayer Advocate office:

https://www.irs.gov/advocate/local-taxpayer-advocate

You can call your local office, call a general toll-free number, or mail/fax a completed Form 911 Request for Taxpayer Assistance.

The IRS is way behind on processing. Our clients have gotten notices on things that we had already sent in for them. What we have done is sent a letter to the address shown on the notice explaining that you have already amended and sent payment (and check cleared- maybe a printout of that cleared check). There's probably a voucher attached to the letter that you can include with a bar code so they can scan your response to your account. And then just wait for them to get your stuff together eventually. It has worked out for our clients.

Edit to add as far as the advocate mentioned above, they don't tend to help unless you have exhausted all other avenues yourself. But when they do deem you worthy of help, they are super good!

thanks for the helpful advice---this is just crazy--Ive been trying some other numbers and they asked other numbers one place asked for a 6 digit number which we dont have--I found a number for amended returns that asked for a 3 digit number we were given--find where were we supposed get the number from--

were planning on getting copies and the cancelled check and just send to the address on the letter--
like a PP suggested--
hopefully that will give them all the numbers they need to match everything they need--

we never had so many issues--
thanks again for the help

funny how there behind in processing but not behind in sending out letters that you "owe" still more money

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter