Trick to getting last-minute reservations?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by EeyoreJMH, Apr 14, 2019.

1. EeyoreJMH

EeyoreJMH DIS Veteran

Hi there,

I’ve been trying for weeks now to try and reserve a few nights in May on property, but every time I look online, everything seems to be unavailable. I’ve tried mid-week, weekends, rack rate, AP rate, and the spring rates and nothing. Is there something I’m doing wrong, or is WDW truly sold out for May?

Thanks!
    Jackie

2. jbehr12

jbehr12 Mouseketeer

It’s probably truly sold out for May

Sorry to be blunt but it’s better to just be honest in these situations

EeyoreJMH likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. EeyoreJMH

EeyoreJMH DIS Veteran

That’s ok! I appreciate it :) I usually book way in advance, so I wasn’t sure if it was something in my search filters.

5. jbehr12

jbehr12 Mouseketeer

Keep checking daily and you’ll have a much better chance if you’re willing to get a pricier room. Also someone else can chime in with specifics but I have heard last minute rooms sometimes come up on third party sites. Unfortunately I don’t know this first hand and I’m not even sure which ones.. but it gives you something to look into!

EeyoreJMH likes this.
  6. SarahC97

SarahC97 DIS Veteran

Have you looked at a wholesale site like Priceline? I'd check it out and see for your dates.

EeyoreJMH likes this.
  7. EeyoreJMH

EeyoreJMH DIS Veteran

Good idea!

8. EeyoreJMH

EeyoreJMH DIS Veteran

I haven’t, so I definitely check that out. Thanks!

9. twodogs

twodogs DIS Veteran

Also check Costco packages if you are a member. Check Expedia as well, as they have rooms at times. There are travel agents that sponser the DIS that might also be able to help.

10. twodogs

twodogs DIS Veteran

Also there is some reservation logic system in the booking system that has certain night minimums at certain times in certain resorts. You can’t easily see it when booking unless you put in a longer stay that includes your dates (which show unavailable when you try to book the shorter stay) and it shows available. Then you know there are rooms, just not for the small number of nights that you want. You can try booking the longer, available, stay, then calling GS and asking them to shorten it. They don’t have to do this, but I have been able to get our stay reduced by one night (not due to the reasons above, just had to leave a day later for WDW, and GS was able to do it).

11. twodogs

twodogs DIS Veteran

Lastly, if you are flexible with dates and are driving (so not worried about expensive last minute flights), you can find rooms once the 5 day cancellation window passes for Room Only reservations. But obviously you won’t know until several days before the trip would start, so you’d have to be very flexible!

12. Wood Nymph

Wood Nymph DIS Veteran

I've seen rooms become available less than 30 days before check in date. A few more rooms will come into inventory when people cancel before they are 30 days out.

13. Searc

Searc DIS Veteran

Call. Availability shown online is not always correct or current.

The Mayor and mmouse37 like this.
  14. LindsayHD

LindsayHD Earning My Ears

Just so you know, I got married in Disney and you hold a block of rooms for your guests to reserve. At 30 days out, you drop the unreserved rooms so if you are not yet at 30 days out, I would check around then. There are probably other brides and/or conventions who will drop unreserved rooms

Jim Shuler likes this.
  15. BK2014

BK2014 DIS Veteran

You might also want to check with some of the DVC point rental sites. They often have specific reservations from people who cannot take their trips, so they are available at discounted prices if the dates work for you.

16. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

Last week I booked 3 nights in May....not much available but was able to get Coronado Springs which we have been to before and enjoyed (even with the construction going on).

MJ

Jim Shuler likes this.
  17. FSU Girl

FSU Girl DIS Veteran

Just keep checking, people cancel all the time. I've picked up reservations a few weeks out to the day of for a stay. Also try different lengths of stays, sometimes the system won't show a room available for a shorter stay.